Talk

Advanced search

Help me find a breastfeeding-friendly wedding guest outfit

(16 Posts)
literarygeek Thu 16-May-13 22:36:53

Hi all
I'm going to a wedding next month and will still be bfing. I have looked at my dresses and I don't think there's anything I can easily bf in. Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm a size 10, 5'4" with size 32b-dd boobs depending on whether I'm pre/post feed grin. Olive skin, brunette. Not afraid of colour.

The wedding is (I think) going to be very stylish but not over the top formal - I'm thinking a cocktail or maxi dress. But somehow I find maxi dresses look extra sad if the weather's dire. Is that just me?

That reminds me - could do with something to throw over the top because I'm really not convinced the weather will have improved by then!

Thanks in advance! thanks

larlemucker Thu 16-May-13 22:49:08

I just wore this to a wedding.
It's jersey so could pull down to feed

BabyClam Thu 16-May-13 22:50:31

Someone posted a link to a dress they were wearing to a wedding, also bf, a few days ago and it was so lovely I bought it (with no weddings to attend!).
It's black and orange silk with a floral pattern, £75 from Oasis (but there are discount codes around). And machine washable!
Has a popper at the front so room to bf.

http://m.oasis-stores.com/silk-oriental-dress/formal/oasis/fcp-product/4470112158

gallicgirl Thu 16-May-13 22:52:25

My cousin was a bridesmaid while breastfeeding and a seamstress fixed the shoulder seam with hooks and eyes so she could unhook and drop front of dress to feed. Perhaps you could get a dress altered? (this dress had v neck and broad shoulder straps)

MrsLettuce Thu 16-May-13 22:52:33

too casual?

literarygeek Thu 16-May-13 23:28:09

ooh I like them all. What a helpful bunch you are!

the phase 8 one is not in my size though. And I fear I need to be a bit more dressy.

baby I think that might be a bit short for me. I have a thing about short dresses and sitting down with dignity!

gallic I don't have the time for alterations but thank you for the idea.

larie is that the blue flowery maxi dress? Your link seems to go to the maxi dresses main page.

MrsLettuce Thu 16-May-13 23:37:21

this would formal up nicely with a more structured belt and a hat

MrsLettuce Thu 16-May-13 23:38:58

model is 5'10"

MrsLettuce Thu 16-May-13 23:41:32

better?

larlemucker Fri 17-May-13 00:44:49

Sorry it should be the blue 'delphinium' dress

literarygeek Fri 17-May-13 10:26:39

lettuce I do like those red ones! ESP the Zara one but not sure i can with a nursing bra...

Delphinium good too .. I might have to actually go out to the shops and do some actual trying on, right?

Havingkittens Fri 17-May-13 15:01:06

This is nice if you want something dressy. Quite pricey though (especially on maternity benefit!). Not sure of your budget.

www.tiffanyrose.com/maternity/clothing/CCNVB/Cocoon-Nursing-Dress-(Velvet-Blue).html

Phase Eight do some nice dresses but I've found a lot of them go a bit bobbly, which is not good considering the prices. Although, that said I have my eye on that one linked as I'm also nursing.

MrsLettuce Fri 17-May-13 15:29:14

The Zara one should be fine with a nursing bra, the neckline would actually be higher with a fuller bust to full out the wrap, I think.

Bouncey Fri 17-May-13 20:02:47

Couple of suggestions:

Www.milkandmummy.com
Www.babeswithbabies.com (bit expensive)
Www.izzysmum.co.uk
Seraphine has a great nursing selection

igglewoo Fri 24-May-13 23:34:21

Look no further than www.milkandmummy.com. They have some really fab breastfeeding dresses which are practical and pretty for a wedding. So so easy to feed in, - and they really solved my 'what to wear' dilemma.

Trying2bMindful Fri 24-May-13 23:39:30

Babes with babies do lovely stuff but the high street is full of wrap dresses which would work well.
Do see if you can reinvent old wardrobe staples.... I actually wore an old dress to a wedding recently which had a scoop neck. I managed to hoik my boobs out the scoop to feed my 11mo. Worked v well. I did practice beforehand though!!
Phase eight & lk Bennett had some lovely dresses & little cardis/jackets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now