Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if this is the right place, but I want a nice stylish carry on bag for the airplane

(27 Posts)
theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 21:24:06

Never seem to get it right when I am travelling and I suspect that my stripy jansport backpack which I use when cycling is not the correct holdall for our girlie long weekend to Rome in September.

I need something fairly sizable as I am hoping to avoid having luggage, but stylish enough that I could bring it round with me when we get there.

Is this an impossible dream?
Answers please ( under £100 if possible)

Filofax Thu 16-May-13 21:43:56

I was about to suggest a Longchamp Le Pliage bag as your carry on bag. The one I have which I think is the larger size in a beige colour has served me well, looks stylish (IMO), folds up tiny, and can be machine washed. But, you want a bag to carry on as luggage for the whole weekend and use as an everyday bag, if I have understood correctly. I think you may need a large holdall or cabin size case then a day bag be it something like a Le Pliage or an across the body bag. Will your fellow travellers be checkin luggage in?

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 21:52:28

Ideally I would want a bag for both, but if that's not possible then a large carry on bag and I already have smaller bags that I can use for a day bag.

I'm meant to be sharing one check in bag with a friend. It is 15 kilos allowance so maybe I will fit it all in there, but I could do with a stylish carry on bag in any case.

Investigating the longchamp le pliage, sadly the lovely leather one popped up which is a tad above my budget. It is lovely though.

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 21:53:53

Ah I see the non leather ones aren't too expensive.

scripsi Thu 16-May-13 21:59:20

A pliage is useful to have for a day bag and it folds up to nothing so you can put it in a carry-all.

I am in need of very light weight (thanks to my sciatica) carry-on size luggage.

was thinking of this:

www.tesco.com/direct/worlds-lightest-suitcase-black-small/307-2511.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=307-2511

I need something quite cheap but that looks reasonably smart (this is for work - otherwise I would use the dodgy wheeled holdall I used for inter-railing!).

Filofax Thu 16-May-13 22:04:13

Yes the nylon ones! If you are near a HoF or Fenwick they stock them. The leather are the premium range and are lovely but expensive. If you have some space in the hold then this is a great bag for travelling. I use mine for by the pool and out and about with my kids stuff in, and magazines and all my stuff.

overthemill Thu 16-May-13 22:05:48

interesting, I need something too! having looked on the website, le pliage comes in loads of styles: which one are you recommending, please?

Filofax Thu 16-May-13 22:12:06

I think mine is the large shopper. I use it at home too, I bought mine a couple of years ago and it's still relatively new looking.

JennySense Thu 16-May-13 22:14:16

No to anything with wheels!
If you're considering carry on only then I strongly recommend www.redoxx.com

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 22:19:10

Ah so the Le Pliage is not for all my stuff. Ok yes I do need carry on luggage as well, sorry I'm not keen on the Tesco one and I was thinking of something a bit more feminie than the redoxx ones.

Liveinthepresent Thu 16-May-13 22:27:49

I like this - but over budget so not sure how helpful!

www.knomobags.com/uk/florence-weekend-bag-terracotta-quilted.html

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 22:34:27

Oh me likey Liveinthepresent. I already have a knomo laptop carrier ( which I never use as I never bring my laptop anywhere) so I know that they are well made bags.
It's not so far over budget as to be ridiculous and it looks very classic.

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 16-May-13 22:49:06

Oh and I did a quick search and managed to find it for £108 - so just about almost in budget !

Liveinthepresent Thu 16-May-13 23:01:28

Ooh where can you get it for £108 -might convince myself I need one too.. Though wont be going on any mini breaks anytime soon (34 weeks pg!)

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 17-May-13 07:48:37

Hospital bag ? But you wouldn't want your waters to break on it !
On the kindle so I will do a link later also into town today so will see what they have in John Lewis.

Liveinthepresent Fri 17-May-13 10:23:18

OP you clearly know how my mind works - I am justifying all sorts of non essential items on the grounds they are needed for my hospital bag... wink
At this rate I will be asking DH to wheel in a whole set of Louis Vuitton luggage to the delivery suite!
Do report back though as I love Knomo bags and would be tempted if I knew its classic enough to get used for a long time.

HootShoot Fri 17-May-13 10:33:13

That one is lovely liveinthepresent!

Not sure if this would be big enough

https://www.julieslaterandson.co.uk/product/overnight-bag-pu-trim-mono-hoops-print/

Liveinthepresent Fri 17-May-13 12:14:30

Actually rather like this one on same website

https://www.julieslaterandson.co.uk/product/wheeled-cabin-bag-sandstripe/

Getting carried away now as wasn't originally looking for a new bag!!

The black girl about town print on the website looks quite fun too.. Much cheaper than the knomo!

CeeceeBloomingdale Fri 17-May-13 12:41:59

leather and under budget
www.piajewellery.com/guest-appearance-weekend-bag-prod11104/

CeeceeBloomingdale Fri 17-May-13 12:47:24

Asos is worth a look too. I bought a huge slouchy leather shopper there last year which holds loads but looks nice when not stuffed too. It's dark brown leather with a snakeskin feature bit. Best thing is it was £32.50!

madammecholet Fri 17-May-13 13:13:00

Bit over budget but gorgeous & tres stylish imo...

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 17-May-13 13:20:58

Liveinthepresent it is here www.caseluggage.com/florence-weekend-duffle.html?gclid=CKTzgMiPnbcCFSXItAodXDwA9w at £108, I actually prefer the ultraviolet colour.

I love the julieslater stripy one, but was in John Lewis this morning and bought this style www.caseluggage.com/florence-weekend-duffle.html?gclid=CKTzgMiPnbcCFSXItAodXDwA9w, but slightly smaller bag as 20% off on the Eastpak and it's justifiable to DH as a luggage rather than a fashion purchase and therefore goes on the joint account grin!

Liveinthepresent Fri 17-May-13 20:16:34

Thanks OP am still tempted - think I have forgotten it was you looking for a bag and not me
I think your second link takes me to the knomo again !

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 17-May-13 20:56:29

Whoopsie www.johnlewis.com/eastpak-container-65-wheeled-duffle-bag/p349770?colour=Teaseltangle smaller version of this, now the only question is if Ryanair will let me take it on board, shop assistant assured me they would.

Liveinthepresent Fri 17-May-13 21:02:04

Very nice.. Am now definitely coveting a new hospital bag!
Am off to John Lewis next week shopping for baby things so may take a look there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now