Talk

Advanced search

First ever 9-5, need help with office clothes please!

(9 Posts)
Playerpleeease Thu 16-May-13 20:46:13

I've just got my first 9-5, working in an office with a smart casual dress code.

For the last 8 years I have worn a uniform to work in a job where I am dirty/messy all day! so I don't even know where to start! I don't even have nice handbags etc.

I prefer play suits and dresses to trousers, what should the length be?? How short is to short?

I'm 5ft 2, size 8 pear shape, 27" leg blush so will have to wear heels!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

MoonlightandRoses Thu 16-May-13 23:41:05

Congratulations on the new job!

Dresses or skirts will be fine - playsuits less so. In terms of length, up to two-thirds down the thigh seems to be acceptable now-a-days and, as a size 8 you should be fine getting away with that. Smart casual is always a tricky one though (think Ralph Lauren/Tommy Hilfiger ads for that look).

For dresses - I'd stick to a straight or pencil type skirt. If you go for sleeveless then it gives you the option to wear a different shirt or short-sleeved jumper underneath and save on washing/dry-cleaning.
For skirts - you can go pencil or skater-style and team with a smart, tucked-in, shirt, (TK Maxx had TM Lewin shirts in the other week for half nothing). You can also go for a 'twin-set' style and then use the cardi's with the dresses on cold days.

OneLittleLady Thu 16-May-13 23:53:02

I'd start with dresses and skirt suits. You can get these in any decent high street store. Pencil or straight cut as already suggested would be your best bet. Shirts and smart tops, like shell tops or peplum style tops, would be good as well. A few nice cardigans, one or two pairs of neutral coloured heels (think nude or black) and a decent handbag and you should be set for a while. A decent trench/mac type coat would also be a good bet. You can add colour to plain outfits with nice scarves or a few nice but not over the top necklaces.

OneLittleLady Thu 16-May-13 23:53:30

Oh and congratulations on the new job smile

SarahGoodwin33 Fri 17-May-13 01:42:35

I wear black skirt suit (pencil just about knee) but at the same time I bought skinny and wide trousers. With skirt and skinnys I always wear heels (rarely higher than 3inch) and love micro net tights, not too tarty but bit different to the boring barely blacks or nudes. Mind you shouldn't we be in bare legs by mid may, bloody British weather!

Playerpleeease Fri 17-May-13 06:50:58

Thank you! grin time to get shopping! Are maxi dresses ok in the office? It is quite casual, some guys wear jeans.

mewkins Fri 17-May-13 09:15:32

I wouldn't think you'll need suits if some in the office wear jeans. You may feel a bit overdone! Go for fitted dresses which can be dressed up with a shirt or down with a cardi, skirts (full or pencil) and an assortment of tops. Our office is smart casual and you get a real range! In winter perfectly acceptable to wear skinny trousers with boots etc and a smart sweater.

WipsGlitter Fri 17-May-13 09:25:24

Maxi dresses no. Too casual.

Lucylloyd13 Fri 17-May-13 10:20:18

Smart casual is so open to interpreation. I would play safe for the first week or so to get a feel of the place.

You cannot go wrong with a knee length black pencil skirt, and a nice print blouse /top, teamed with courts. That can be neither too casual, nor too formal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now