Talk

Advanced search

Which make up essentials?

(24 Posts)
SoulCakeDuck Thu 16-May-13 17:48:37

I don't wear make up very often at all so have an odd collection of bits and pieces but probably all past their best. I want to get the essentials to create a nice natural summer look. I have very fair skin and green eyes. I have about £100 to spend so what should I go shopping for, which counters should I try out? Want to go to one where I can actually afford the products, and not feel too intimidated.

For a light natural look that stays put would powder or creme products work best? And do I need a primer (if so which one do you recommend?). I live in the highlands so I'm limited to the likes of what I can find in Boots or Debenhams if I want to try things on.

So basically, what are your bare essentials?

Thank you!

MrsBertMacklin Thu 16-May-13 18:05:59

Can you get to a Bobbi Brown counter? Really friendly and non-pushy and the products are great for a natural look.

I'd start off with a tinted moisturiser, cream blusher, concealer, brow pencil, mascara & tinted lip balm or sheer lipstick and a setting powder. Assuming you don't want to spend all your money on high end products, my recommendations would be:

No. 7 Triple Protection Tinted Moisturiser
Bourjois cream blusher (they were only launched yesterday & I think colours 1, 2 & 3 would suit, but have a look at number 2 particularly)
Maybelline Eye Studio Master Shape eyebrow pencil
Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm (REALLY recommend these and there is a brilliant offer in their online sale ATM, I think the 'Pink Mix' would be good for you)

I use Maybelline Full 'N' Soft mascara in dark brown for natural lashes, which you can buy on Amazon.

I use NARS setting powder, but hear very good things about the No. 7 powders.

If you're willing to spend a little more, I would really try to get to Bobbi Brown for tinted moisturiser and to MAC for their cream blushes.

I think BB and CC creams are bollocks, I'm sure others will disagree!

If you want to add in a bit more makeup, I'd also recommend Clinique's Cream Shaper eyeliners.

See how you go before buying a primer, you may not need one. Everyone loves Smashbox primers and they do a sample size - not cheap though.

MrsBertMacklin Thu 16-May-13 18:10:08

Shit, I forgot to talk about concealer, which I think is the most important product! I use NARS stick concealer for my eye shadows, thread veins and any blemishes, having tried at least 10 different concealers over the years in all price brackets and I love it.

Can't emphasise enough, the difference a good concealer will make. That, mascara and cream blush are all I wear most days. Actually that's another reason to try and get to Bobbi Brown, they will show you how to assess where it's needed and how apply it, they taught me really well.

SingingSilver Thu 16-May-13 18:10:14

What are your skin needs? Do you need a full-coverage foundation/concealer, or would a bb cream work for you? A primer creates a smoother base if you have dry, lined or acne prone skin. If you're over 30 I think cream formulations are more flattering than powder.

For a light summer look for very fair skin I would go for

Max Factor Radiance CC cream,
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer for blemishes/circles, both products have very fair shades,
No7 blush tint cream blush (peach shade if you have warm toned skin, pink if cool toned),

Maybelline Colour Tattoo in gold (if warm toned) or taupe for cool, or a cream shadow that's close to your own skincolour for day (I usually use MAC Painterly but I don't know of a dupe for that.)
Mascara - Max Factor False Lash Effect, and Maybelline Volume Express One by One are my favourite. They're easy to work with and don't look too va-va-voom.
A brown kohl pencil for subtle eyeliner. (Urban Decay 24/7 pencils are the best I've tried.)

Then a peachy or pink lipstick depending on what you like. If you're warm toned and pale like me try L'Oreal Caresse 'Dating Coral', I think it's a very flattering colour for summer. The Revlon lip butters have a lot of colour choice, a lot of the light pinks will look great on cool toned pale skin. Or a lipgloss if you don't like lipstick.

I would buy -

Bare Minerals foundation (but it's expensive)
Benetint (expensive but lasts forever)
Urban Decay Naked palette (worth every penny)
Lancome Definicils mascara
A Soap and Glory lipstick

calmingtea Thu 16-May-13 18:14:05

For makeup I have always come back to the MAC and bobbi brown counters, although I think I do prefer MAC for cist, and their studiofix powder (powder come foundation), natural looking eye shadows, I got a mascara there (blue tube) which is really natural looking on, cream blush. They are not extortionate, have lots of colours, last a good amount of time, staff are friendly. I did tell the lady at bobbi brown in one London store once that she made me look like a hooker grin, but used to get eye shadows from there. What I particularly like is you can go in and just say I want some makeup, I want to look 'natural' and they run around and try things on you. Debenhams has 10% all beauty at the moment, so that quickly means a good discount.

calmingtea Thu 16-May-13 18:17:54

And if you are near a space nk or selfridges my very favourite lip sticks are lipstick queen butterfly ball, very natural and great textures.

SoulCakeDuck Thu 16-May-13 18:33:33

Thanks all, will have a good read through that...

Other information, I don't like a heavy look, in the past I have mixed foundation with moisturiser as plain foundation was too heavy on me, so maybe a tinted moisturiser would work well.

I might be able to get to a Bobbi Brown or MAC counter in Aberdeen, I think they have them in John Lewis there.

I'm 28 and skin is pretty clear, not greasy or spotty, few freckles but I don't mind them too much. Worst area is probably pores/blackheads on my nose (nose shape it's self but that's not something I can change!).

There is a pic of me on my profile page that shown hair colour skin tone, don't have any make up on so that's the blank canvas I have to work with.

Thanks again for all your advice so far, keep it coming, I'll see if I can gather it all together into a list and do some investigation/pricing.

babacoon Thu 16-May-13 18:36:19

Marking my place

SingingSilver Thu 16-May-13 19:06:36

It's not always easy to tell from a photo, but you look like you have pink tones to your skin, which is cool toned. If that's right you're probably better off sticking with pinks, and not peaches/orange for blush and lips. I have warm toned skin and I've gradually abandoned all cool toned pink make-up because it doesn't make me look my best.

You could try a sample of Porefessional to see if it helps with the pores on your nose. Some Benefit counters give them out. Or just ask the assistant to try it on you.

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 16-May-13 19:15:15

I agree with checking out Bobbi Brown, especially for foundation. It's really good and they will definitely have a shade for you.

I also hugely recommend They're Real by Benefit for mascara - which has a free sample with Elle magazine this month.

MAC eyeshadows are very pretty and they do shitloads of different colours. I recommend getting a single gold-y neutral to bring out your green eyes. You don't need to be too careful with application with a neutral either.

NARS or Bourjois for blusher.

Another one to browse is Too Faced. They do some gorgeous little palettes and sets with a little bit of everything you need. Too Faced are generally suited to an English rose type complexion.

Aquelven Thu 16-May-13 19:24:43

Can you get to a Boots by Sunday?
At the moment they have buy one get another half price on all their No7 makeup. Plus if you take a couple of items to the till they'll give you a coupon for £3 off another item.
Their colour match gadget is quite good for getting the right foundation colour, the No7 girl will match you.
For basics, I'd get foundation, a blusher, mascara, eyeshadow, liner & a lipstick or gloss.
Lots of the ranges in Boots have offers on at the moment. Max Factor mascara I've found to be just as good as any expensive brand. Boots Natural Collection have nice eyeshadows for very little spend.

SoulCakeDuck Thu 16-May-13 19:31:05

I will be passing Boots tomorrow actually, not a big one so no manned counters but they have the more popular brands on brand shelves, will stick my nose in. I will be in Aberdeen next week so might manage Bobbi Brown then...

How can I tell if I'm warm/cool toned?

Yes, Max Factor is my choice for mascara when I can't afford Lancome.

auldspinster Thu 16-May-13 20:01:08

If silver looks better on you than gold you're probably cool toned. I've got olivey skin and can't wear white as I just look grubby in it.

MrsSalvoMontalbano Thu 16-May-13 20:17:05

Have now narrowed makeup bag down to: BB cream, eyeliner, shimmery shadow, mascara, Vaseline and lip pencil ( Vaseline for cheekbones and over lip pencil.)

SoulCakeDuck Thu 16-May-13 20:25:29

Definately a silver wearer, no gold jewellery whatsoever (well, white gold). So I should be looking at pinks not peaches. Think the Boots has a number 7 consultant so could maybe get her to colour match me.

othgraph Thu 16-May-13 20:47:31

I have impossible skin and really like Lancome La Base Pro for a primer. I have quite big pores and pitted scars and makeup just ends up magnifying them but La Base Pro works really well for me.

Avene thermal spring water is great for spritzing on to make my makeup less cakey.

Bobbi Brown foundation brush. It makes my cheapo Bourjois foundation look great.

Bobbi Brown in general is great for a low key every day look. Especially their eyeshadows which I tend to use for daytime eyeliner and pair with Rimmel scandaleyes in the beige colour. Very quick to apply.

No7 moisture drench lipstick is quite nice. I have it in blush which is close to my lip color but makes it look better. Don't go by the swatches on the website though as they look nothing like them.

Daniel Sandler watercolour is a great blush. Stays put and easy to apply. Cherub is a really lovely colour.

louschmoo Thu 16-May-13 21:18:01

I have recently switched to chanel aqualumiere light foundation and chanel les beiges powder. Every time i've worn these i have been complimented on how rested/well/glowing I look - considering i have an 8 week old baby and a 21 month old toddler i would say this is a result! I would recommend trialling them at least, they are expensive but i have certainly found them to be worth it. Also second the recommendation for benetint - it lasts forever and you can build up the colour on lips and cheeks to however flushed you want to look. I also recommend estee lauder double wear mascara - it doesn't smudge as it is a 'tubing' mascara which only comes off with warm water. But it comes off easily and cleanly with warm water so no messing with loads of cleanser. Also benefit browzings are great, and again last forever - i've had my current one for at least 2 years and it's not even half used (is that gross? Sorry if so!). I have dark brown hair with pale skin and freckles and pink/cool tones.
Oh and also revlon lip butter is a really good cross between lip balm and lipstick, and cheaper than clinique chubby sticks (which are also great). I loathe lip gloss and find lipstick too much of a 'look' so love the sheer effect of tinted balms.

louschmoo Thu 16-May-13 21:20:04

Gah, how many times can I use the word 'also' in one post. Oh dear.

SoulCakeDuck Thu 16-May-13 21:27:48

Found it very helpful, even if there were lots of alsos (actually didn't notice!).

I have some benetint somewhere, the rose one as opposed to the redder one, will dig it out. Am going to look at the Burts Bees tinted lip stuff, will see if I can find the revlon one too to compare. Lipstick just doesn't look right on me.

Will report back after my trip to Boots tomorrow then see where else I can go looking.

Thank you all very much for your help and advice, I'm looking forward to my shopping trip.

mrspaddy Thu 16-May-13 21:28:52

I didn't get reading through previous suggestions but for me, I think the Urban Decay Naked or Naked 2 eyeshadow palette is essential (Debenhams).

I use Rimmel brow pencil - @ 2.99

Alway have Max Factor Compact Powder - love it. I wear Medium Beige.

St. Tropez Bronzer (Debenhams) - love this!!

Max Factor Lifinity - Even stays on while swimming

Other product brands for rest - eyeliner/mascara.. haven't any I love but recently tried Revlon Colourstay eyeliner and think I might but it again.

Benefit High Beam and Tint - I have them but have never used them

MrsBertMacklin Sat 18-May-13 18:23:36

How did you get on, Duck?

SoulCakeDuck Sat 18-May-13 19:44:10

Well, so far I have been to see the No7 lady at Boots, is the only counter they have there and she was very helpful. I ended up buying No7 Essentially Natural foundation in calico colour, she tried that and their tinted moisturiser on me. The moisturiser wasn't quite the right colour, a bit too pinky, but the foundation is very light and blends in wonderfully just using my fingers. Doesn't make me made done up but just evens everything out, seems to work well so far.

As it was buy one get one half price, also ended up with their translucent loose powder which gives a lovely soft finish, blush tint powder in soft damson and an eyeshadow in wheatsheaf colour which again is just really skin colour but has a lovely shine and just brightens my eyes a bit.

The difference those alone make after 9 months without a full nights sleep is unbelievable. I have a Chanel mascara that I was given for Christmas that I am using at the minute but it is black and I would like a brown one so that's still on my list, as is something for my lips. Like the look of the Burt's Bees stuff as I think I look funny with anything shiny on my lips but it was going to be £4 postage so going to look for it in town this week.

So I have a good day to day look, and am going to try to get a few bits aand pieces to dress it up for some weddings I have coming up. Think maybe a purply eyeshadow as I have green eyes and some eyeliner (though I am the world's wosrt at applying it). I have some benefit highlighter stuff hidden away somewhere so will get that on the go too.

Also I got some Garnier summer skin tanning moisturiser in Asda (was half price at £2.50 if anyone is interested), so am beginning to look and feel a bit more human at last.

Thank you all again for your help. I will try and get to the MAC and Bobbi Brown counters when I make it through to Aberdeen but very happy at what I have managed with your help so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now