Talk

Advanced search

Smart casual outfit recommendations?

(9 Posts)
Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 07:36:21

Want to treat DW as she never treats herself so thinking of surprising her with an outfit (makeover?). She is 40ish but looks 35, Size 12 and tallish. The best my boring fashion sense can come up with is a pair of designer Jeans, a colourful shirt (blouse) with sandals & handbag .... No idea where/what to buy or indeed if this is the best idea so would really appreciate some ideas.

I do not have a budget in mind so £200 jeans are ok and can even throw in a one off crazy item like Blahnik shoes or the latest must have handbag if its appropriate ... Guess what I am trying to say is that we are not on a tight budget or snobs so it doesn't have to be the cheapest or the most expensive as long as it looks and feels nice.

Nehru Thu 16-May-13 07:38:23

oh god this will ONLY GO WRONG

book her into a personal shopper somewhere..? John lewis? ( although mine had bAD garlic breath) and book a meal out afterwards

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 07:44:23

Agree. What I was hoping to do was to come up with 2/3 different ideas and then take her shopping rather than gift wrap it so as to cut the risk element out.

Would a JL personal shopper really deliver that elusive wow factor?

ArcticRoll Thu 16-May-13 09:02:59

I agree with Nehru-do not attempt to select clothes yourself! I would recommend Selfridges for personal shopper if you are looking for 'wow factor' as they stock a wider and more exciting range than John Lewis and would feel more of a treat.

Lambzig Thu 16-May-13 09:55:12

What a lovely idea. The trouble is, even designer shoes would be tricky as they can fit very differently. A personal shopper is a good idea, but it needs to be somewhere lovely where they would spoil her. Are you near London as Liberty is fantastic.

polyhymnia Thu 16-May-13 10:22:35

Yes, I think definitely a personal shopper at Selfridges (who have a vast choice of jeans) or Liberty, or maybe Harvey Nichols. JL are worthy but a little lacking in the 'wow' factor, IMO.

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 10:38:32

Yes we live in central London. Never had or heard of anyone who has had experience with a personal shopper but I do like the idea. So choice is between Selfridges, Harveyniks or Liberty ... I assume its not just the range of clothing on offer but also who's got the best personal shopper?

Lambzig Thu 16-May-13 18:34:45

I haven't had personal shopping at Selfridges, but I find their assistants a bit unfriendly. Had personal shopping at Liberty quite a few years ago and it was very luxe, champagne and biscuits and such lovely service.

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 18:48:47

Selfridges are not really known for their friendliness or personal touch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now