Talk

Advanced search

Maternity photos what do I wear ( self indulgent)

(10 Posts)
Liveinthepresent Wed 15-May-13 19:54:31

Getting some family photos done when I will be heavily pregnant ( approx 36 weeks)
All my maternity clothes are quite structured and fitted / dark colours - as I mainly dress for the office.
Photographer seems to suggest floatier styles and softer colours .. Was toying with buying a maxi dress that maybe I could carry on wearing during early days with newborn - but haven't found anything ideal.
Am feeling quite large - am a 14 with a big bum,and bump..
Anyone got any ideas - obviously I don't want to spend £££ at this stage unless I can wear it after - and I can't be too dressed up as they are supposed to Be informal photos - but I really need to feel nice...

Liveinthepresent Wed 15-May-13 19:55:35

Oh and I am dark haired - possibly a winter - don't really do pastel colours normally..

BedHog Wed 15-May-13 20:01:07

You could wear the same outfit that Demi Moore wore.....wink

BedHog Wed 15-May-13 20:05:08

Seriously though, a simple black vest that can be pulled up to show your bump, and something plain and dark on the bottom. The photographer will probably get you and DH to put your hands on your bump and do lots of other 'arty' things. Maybe take some alternative clothes in a bag, or things like long necklaces and pashminas can work well.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Wed 15-May-13 20:54:55

I had some photos done of just me when I was 38wks pg with DS, some were nude/semi nude but for the clothes ones I went for black/white/grey colours - e.g. white vest with grey cardigan (open), maybe with black trousers/leggings? or dark blue skinny jeans?

What I did was order loads of stuff online, wear the bits I liked literally for 1hr or so, then sent them back blush

A nice white shirt might be good?

If you want more colour, I like the look of the maternity maxi dress from Boden (special day maxi dress I think its called), I'd order, wear & send back though as it is very £££

Or there is a nice coral coloured cardigan (normal range not maternity) in New Look at the moment for about £12.99 I think - would look nice over a white vest.

Liveinthepresent Wed 15-May-13 21:26:06

Thanks both I omitted a key detail in my OP which is that we will be outdoors - so I will definitely need to be properly clothed..and am not sure I can do multiple changes (of clothes with tags on!)
I saw a lovely dress on Seraphines website which I could probably wear afterwards - but it's out of stock in my size..
www.seraphine.com/maternity-maxi-dress-floral-print.html

Maybe I need to speak to the photographer and see what she suggests..
I am probably overthinking but I won't be having another baby and really want some pictures I am happy to look at in years to come..

BeanoNoir Thu 16-May-13 19:22:24

When pregnant I always feel bigger in floaty clothes that skim my bump. I prefer a close fit that clings under the bump too, so maybe a close fitting jersey midi or maxi dress might be nice. I feel more like a proper shape with a bump sticking out then, rather than just a bit big and shapeless. You might not feel the same though.

Regardless I'd go with something that feels quite 'you' rather than a totally different look that you may not feel comfortable with on the day.

Liveinthepresent Fri 17-May-13 10:35:44

Thanks Beano yes am sure you are right - I came to the conclusion yesterday that I should probably wear the Isabella Oliver top that always attracts compliments - most of my stuff is quite fitted.
I may order a maxi dress just to see how I feel - they may be quite practical for summer once baby arrives anyway.

Lambzig Fri 17-May-13 10:40:39

I fit into most of my non maternity maxi dresses even when very pregnant. It might be worth getting a normal one that you like.

JohnnyDeppsfuturewidge Fri 17-May-13 10:59:28

I would say wear what you feel most comfortable in and ignore the photographer, perhaps avoid any patterns that might look more dated or fussy when you look back at the photos.

Dresses are lovely but if you're looking to get something that you can wear after baby's born try to make it convenient for breastfeeding if you decide to do that. I love Isabella Oliver tops but didn't discover them til midway through second pregnancy so couldn't justify the expense. I'm sure you'll look lovely whatever you decide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now