Talk

Advanced search

Egyptian Mummy Hands

(11 Posts)
MrsBertMacklin Tue 14-May-13 17:22:57

My hands are driving me insane.

They feel so dry that they are waking me up at night if I forget to moisturise intensively before bed. even when I do my intensive routine, I wake up in the AM and my first thought is, ooof, hands are dry.

If I list all the things I am doing / products I've tried, can anyone who's suffered with this add some suggestions please?

The skin on my hands isn't flaky, red or painful, but feels very tight and looks crepey.

At night, I put a hydrating serum and facial oil on my hands, followed by an intensive hand moisturiser (either Body Shop Hemp or Simple Intensive).

During the day, I apply cream whenever hands start feeling tight. In the past 4 months I've gone through tubes of:

L'Occitane
Lanolips' Lanolin cream
Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Salve
Norwegian Formula
Nick Lowe

I've also tried Clarins and Soap & Glory, but these were so crap that I didn't use up the tubes.

I wear rubber gloves when washing up.
I don't wash my hands in excessively hot water.
I use L'Occitane hand soap to wash my hands.
I think my diet is fairly good; certainly my skin generally, is in good condition and not very dry at all.
The hand creams I use for the daytime have SPF15/20 in them. I work outdoors a lot, so have always done this.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 14-May-13 17:37:13

I'm with you. Clarins and Hope and Glory nice smelling but otherwise useless. Body shop hemp did little for me. my hands aren't red and raw just wrinkly and crepey.On another thread about hands somebody recommended Oilatum cream and somebody else recommended norwegian foot cream. Am trying the Oilatum.

MrsLettuce Tue 14-May-13 17:47:25

The nipple cream that everyone recommends on the bf topic, begins with an L, works wonders. Flexatol too. That Norwegian formula nutragina stuff is good once it's under control.

Do you wet your hands before you use soap when you wash them? is vital.

MrsLettuce Tue 14-May-13 17:54:48

Oh yeah, it's called Lansinoh. Has always addled my dyslexic brain grin

HaveAGoodDay Tue 14-May-13 18:04:31

I pinch a bit of my son's Aveeno, he has it prescribed for his eczema. It's a nice light cream that I find soaks in really well, very moisturising. My hands are quite dry & very wrinkly, too many lines, you could say they need ironing. You can also buy Aveeno from Boots.

hugoagogo Tue 14-May-13 18:26:00

Almond oil is good at night with cotton gloves to save your sheets.

Also I would second aveeno the handcream is better than the lotion.

Ponds shea butter handcream is nice too and long lasting + cheap.

There is also some really strong stuff you have to ask the chemist for, but the name escapes me. < off to google>

ValiaH Tue 14-May-13 18:32:18

Aveeno's handcream is great, also Lush shop soap 'honey i washed the kids' is fab and super gentle, its the only one I've found that doesn't dry my skin out.

RaspberrySchnapps Tue 14-May-13 18:36:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsBertMacklin Tue 14-May-13 18:54:26

Great, Aveeno next on the list (it's cheap, hurray!).

hugoagogo Tue 14-May-13 21:46:00

Switching to proper bar soap will help too, the lush ones are nice, but if they are too smelly, you can buy olive oil soap from health food shops and it makes a big difference.

If you are washing your hands a lot you can try dermaguard from lakeland

hollyisalovelyname Wed 15-May-13 18:53:16

Got a sample of Dermalogica hand and nail cream. Twas nice. My nxt purchase hoping to find the holy grail of handcreams smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now