Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Desperately need help to find a nice, waterproof coat to be delivered before Friday

(50 Posts)
moosemama Tue 14-May-13 15:07:09

We are off to a festival this weekend and the forecast is not great.

I have been searching for a nice, non-grannified - iykwim - waterproof coat for weeks now and have drawn a blank. I'm now getting desperate, as I only have tomorrow and the next day and can't get to the shops, so have to order it next-day delivery from somewhere online.

The problem is I only have £50.00 ish in the budget for it, although would go up to about £65.00 for something really nice and all that seems to get me is either a 'label' pac-a-mac, which will be no better than a basic 'camping brand' one or a fashion coat that won't be up to the job.

I am very self-conscious about my appearance at the moment, having gained a lot of weight through ill-health since losing it all the year before last. hmm blush sad

I'm 5'7, a size 14-16, with a decent waist, very large chest and chunky legs and hips. I was hoping to find a long-ish (midway between hip and knee) coat, that would cover my backside and be slim fitting enough to stop me looking like the Michelin man, but have more than just one of those mesh linings so that it keeps the wind and cold out. I don't like anything shiny or plasticky and prefer the canvassy-type, matt-ish ones - if that makes any sense.

I see other mums at the school in nice coats, but they always seem to be expensive brands I can't afford.

MN style and beauty you are my last hope <panics slightly>.

Can anyone out there help me - or am I doomed to spend the whole weekend looking like a drowned rat in an ancient, tatty dog-walking coat?

MrsLettuce Tue 14-May-13 16:03:27

parker
too cute?
last resort ;)

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 16:15:15

Thank you for replying MrsLettuce. smile

Ha ha at the last resort. <<whispers: I actually do have the essential festival rain poncho in a rather fetching utility/battleship grey - but will only use it if things get extreme.>>

I nearly ordered the La Redoute one a while back, but whilst it would be great for the school run, I decided I need something more practical, with a hood if the weather's going to carry on like this.

Something like the parker would be good - but without the furry hood.

I like the Craghoppers Nariko but wasn't sure if it was a bit too grannified and it's at the upper limit of my price bracket.

I also considered this Regatta one but it's very utility.

I think the problem is that I want something stylish, but also practical, so that it will be ok for school runs and walking the dog, as well wearing to festivals without looking like someone's mum. Unfortunately this seems to be too big an ask within my budget.

happyreindeer Tue 14-May-13 16:18:21

Very catalogue?

racmun Tue 14-May-13 16:22:07

Have a look at online horse riding suppliers. You are bound to find something. That fits the bill

BabyClam Tue 14-May-13 16:25:16

The M&S storm wear ones are quite nice but a bit over budget. The metallic mac is good.

NorthernLurker Tue 14-May-13 16:27:55

Dd1 has a lovely one from MissSelfridge - wax jacket style - but it's out of stock in anything above a 12. I have this one for work etc and am very happy with it ut I wonder if it's too light for what you want?

Waswondering Tue 14-May-13 16:29:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 17:51:14

Thank you for all the replies. I really like the one Northern Lurker linked to but don't think it would suit me and the John Lewis one is really nice and would be great for the school run, but not so practical for this weekend unfortunately.

I've had a look through the Very catalogue and found a parka I liked, but it wasn't waterproof.

Also been scouring some of the online riding suppliers and like some of the styles, but not found anything that's the right length in my size yet.

Looks like I will be gracing the festival in my ever-so-fetching battleship rain-cape after all.

Meringue33 Tue 14-May-13 17:58:40

Keep us updated. I've been desperate to find a smart/cool mac that is actually waterproof. Have just returned one I got from Warehouse online, it was advertised as waterproof but is just water resistant - waste of time IMHO!

Meringue33 Tue 14-May-13 17:59:04

Ps I really like the Regatta one

Sonotkylie Tue 14-May-13 18:09:06

If you do end up in the rain cape, you can be sure there will be plenty of others there too. So, spend the money on a fantastic lippy instead. Lots of change from £50.
Or try looking for pleather?

Sonotkylie Tue 14-May-13 18:10:31

Have you tried Top Shop? Can't link but there's something called Gingham rain mac which might fit the bill

moosemama Tue 14-May-13 18:10:33

I really like The Merrel Geraldine, but that's the cheapest I've found it, even in sales.

Meringue33, that's what I've found. The ones from fashion stores aren't actually weatherproof, they're just about ok for keeping the rain off if it's only a light shower.

Then the proper, hiking, camping, outdoor type brands only have lightweight, pac-a-macs in my price range or are decidedly unattractive. It's soooo frustrating.

I think the Regatta one would be a safe buy. If I can't find anything else tonight my Mum says she'll drive me over to the local camping shop that has them in stock to buy one of those tomorrow, rather than not having a waterproof for the weekend. I will be so fed up though, because once I've spent the money on that I won't feel justified in forking out for a nicer one if/when I finally track one down. hmm

Sonotkylie Tue 14-May-13 18:11:18

Sorry, re read your post. It doesn't. Don't look

tethersend Tue 14-May-13 18:16:40

Wait- up the budget and get one of these.

They do next day delivery I think.

I got the carnaby in white and it's great- size down though, they're big.

Bigwuss Tue 14-May-13 18:31:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soaccidentprone Tue 14-May-13 18:34:09

this?

or this?

a bit more expensive!

or maybe you should go the whole hog? Cheap as chips!

finlaysmum12 Tue 14-May-13 18:40:31

www.rainmac.com/special-offers/kew

ooh, i like this!!

finlaysmum12 Tue 14-May-13 18:43:58

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-clancy-insulated-jacket-p214244

any good?

finlaysmum12 Tue 14-May-13 18:44:15

www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-clancy-insulated-jacket-p214244

peggyblackett Tue 14-May-13 18:47:09

What about the Kew from the site tethers recommends?

Kew

peggyblackett Tue 14-May-13 18:47:58

X posts with finlaysmum! For £39 it looks bargainous.

nextphase Tue 14-May-13 18:57:12

and 15% off with SCHOOLGATE15 brings it to the top end of budget

soaccidentprone Tue 14-May-13 18:58:49

The kew only goes up to a 12, so wouldn't fit the op.

I also think it looks like something my aunt would wear. And she's 89grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: