Talk

Advanced search

What should I wear to a job interview?

(6 Posts)
ComeAlongPond Tue 14-May-13 14:08:31

Silly question, I know, but I've not been to any for years and I've been applying for jobs so will hopefully have a few coming up. I've got one on Tuesday so need to be quite quick!

Is it acceptable to wear black skinny trousers? I don't own any style other than skinny and I'm loathe to spend money on trousers I don't like just for interviews. Or should I wear a skirt/dress?

I was thinking of black skinny trousers (not jeans!), black ballet pumps, and one of these shirts: New Look in either colour, or Asos Or with a black pencil skirt, but I'd have to buy one.

I don't really have any 'interview' clothes, I work from home at the moment and when I go into work it's a very arty environment so everyone is covered in paint anyway! This is an office job, civil service type thing. I don't want to spend too much money but I do obviously need an outfit of some sort.

vitaminC Tue 14-May-13 15:13:15

The interview outfit should match the job/industry you're applying to. A general rule is to dress one step up (i.e. smarter) from how you would expect to dress when in the job.

Do you plan to work in skinny trousers? A skirt/dress? Dresses are actually a good option, as easy to dress up/down.
Skinny trousers can be dressed "up" (depending on your figure), with smart shoes, top, jacket...

Don't wear anything too bright - flattering neutrals with a contrasting jacket or scarf would work best, as you want them to notice you, not the outfit! Good luck with the interview smile

ComeAlongPond Tue 14-May-13 15:29:03

I don't know sad This is stressing me out so much! I think I will ditch the trousers just in case. I think they are smart but maybe I'm wrong. I was going to wear them with the polka dot shirt and a blazer but I'm going to veto them.

What kind of dress is better, plain or patterned? I am quite small, about 5 foot 3 and a size 6. In my 20s.

Thank you smile

tomatoplantproject Tue 14-May-13 15:34:47

A simple wrap dress or plain "sheath" type dress, and then depending on how formal it is, a jacket or simple cardigan. If in doubt go for black with some brighter accessories. Pair of smart heels and a smart bag. Or could you wear a pair of heels with your skinny trousers, shirt and jacket?

ComeAlongPond Tue 14-May-13 15:38:40

I wasn't planning on wearing heels because I'll have to get across London, but I could always take some with me and change shoes when I'm there.

FauxFox Tue 14-May-13 19:43:05

classic black work dress? or purple

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now