Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do I really need ghds?

(25 Posts)
UseHerName Sun 12-May-13 18:42:02

i have very thick shoulder length hair, quite straight and currently use mark hill straightners-they go up to 220°....

are ghds really much different/better?

grin

aldeburgh Sun 12-May-13 19:01:11

Yes. I have had my ghds for 10 years they are simply amazing. Never looked back. Saying that 10 years ago anything else on the market was pants and could be different now. But for me ghd all day.

Piemother Sun 12-May-13 19:05:31

Had mine 7 years still going strong. My hair is thick and wavy and all others were rubbish. Cost per use must be less than pennies by now grin

MikeLitoris Sun 12-May-13 19:05:49

I would have to say yes. Even though they aren't quite as good as they used to be.

I had a pair of the wide ones about 10 years ago that were amazing. They got lost in a house move so got the narrow ones. They lasted up until 2 years ago when I dropped them and they broke.

Tried a few cheaper pairs and a pair of cloud nines but were no where near as good.

I got a new pair of ghds at Christmas. They are the only ones that tame my 1970's footballer type hair grin

sansucre Sun 12-May-13 19:08:11

My decade old set of wide plate GHDs melted a few weeks ago and having heard a mixed reviews about the newer models, decided against laying out for a pair. Instead, I bought a pair of these which I would recommend to anyone. (They go up to 235°!
In fact, if you were to offer me a brand new pair of wide plate GHDs, I'd happily decline.

I have very, very thick naturally curly hair, so if my hair can be made sleek and shiny, they'll work for yours. In addition, what I most like about this pair of straighteners is that they make my hair swishy, GHDs never did that.

Iwantmybed Sun 12-May-13 19:13:43

I've had tons of cheap straighteners and was amazed by how good the GHDs were. However they've been replaced by the BBH which is better for my hair and looks as if it has more life than pancake flat.

UseHerName Sun 12-May-13 19:19:52

hmmm they're so expensive

im really lusting after a pair though

had a bbh and just could't get to grips with it at all - more me than it grin

UseHerName Sun 12-May-13 19:24:00

sansucre i'll have a wee look at those too....i dont want flat hair!!

do ghds give you flat hair?! confused shock

i like it when the hair dresser drys my hair 'with lots of body'

UseHerName Sun 12-May-13 19:24:41

dries obviously! grin

freerangeeggs Sun 12-May-13 20:55:57

I have very thick nipple-length hair that has a few kinks but is mostly straight. I had the massive ghds for years, but then they exploded and electrocuted me (my fault, not the straighteners) and I couldn't afford new ones so I bought a pair of Babyliss ones for £24 to tide me over. They're fine. I'm sure the ghds probably were better but I genuinely can't notice a difference. I can curl my hair with these ones too, which I couldn't do because of the wide shape of the ghds I had before.

I'd buy a pair of cheaper ones first and try them out - see if you can return them if you don't like them. I'm glad I didn't waste my money. Mine have a five year guarantee, too.

TallulahBetty Sun 12-May-13 21:08:48

No. My Babyliss straighteners are still going strong after 6 years. Have compared them to my SIL's GHDs and they heat up faster, do the job better, are kinder to hair, and were a third of the price.

Jbck Sun 12-May-13 21:14:33

They are definitely not as good as they used to be. You can usually get them for just under £80 online but from the sounds of your hair you might be able to use something cheaper.

SingingSilver Sun 12-May-13 21:27:52

I also agree that the standard of GHDs has suffered. I gave my trusty old pair to a friend when I bought the peacock design ones, and they are no better than cheaper straighteners I've tried. I'm gutted I gave my old ones away!

orangeandemons Sun 12-May-13 21:37:02

Nothing copes with my nasty flicks except gods. Have tried 4 others.

Love the phrase footballers hair btw

UseHerName Sun 12-May-13 21:39:23

oooh oranges ill ask the gods to sort my locks out grin

i wonder could i get a pair of ghds off ebay??

theredhen Sun 12-May-13 22:25:48

I got mine from eBay second hand years ago. Recently replaced the cable for £20. Still going strong.

shelli135 Sun 12-May-13 22:29:22

GHD have been bought out by a Chinese company, and are now made there, using cheaper materials. Hence why they are noticeably not as good.

The old owners of GHD have now brought out a new brand called 'cloud 9'. These are amazing.

About 10 pound more than GHDs but well worth it, if you use them everyday. smile

JazzDalek Mon 13-May-13 00:04:06

IMO no, but then my ghds are only a couple of months old so the newer version.

I previously had a set of the Remington Pearls linked to above, but bought ghds simply because everyone raves about them. They're no better, and in fact I prefer the Pearls because they have adjustable temperature. 190 is fine for my hair and I feel the ghds are more damaging, being stuck on 220.

In fact, I think I might sell them and go back to my Remingtons.

JamEyelid Mon 13-May-13 00:29:35

I came on here to post a link to my Remington pearls but San beat me to it.

Wuldric Mon 13-May-13 00:35:59

It is factually incorrect to say that ghd have been bought out by a Chinese company. It is simply not true. The group were backed by a private equity house (Montagu) who have recently sold out to another private equity house (Lion). The new private equity house is US based. Nonsense to say that they are owned by the Chinese - you should not make inaccurate statements like that.

shelli135 Mon 13-May-13 10:07:53

My apologies should have done my research, unfortunately i don't have time to. Still doesn't change the fact that they aren't as good.

YoniOno Mon 13-May-13 10:45:26

Lol Wuldric, please apologise to the ghd board on behalf of MN for that grin

Wuldric Mon 13-May-13 11:09:45

I have already done so. It is interesting though that there is a perception that the quality of GHDs has gone down. They spend a fortune on research and development to ensure the quality of the irons improves.

sansucre Mon 13-May-13 15:53:30

UseHerName The wide plate GHDs just left my hair feeling very straight, far too straight and it just hung with no real movement to it. I'm wondering if this was because they're wide plates, I don't know, they're the only pair of GHDs I ever owned!

After my pair broke, I borrowed a friend's set of Remington straighteners which I was really impressed by, not least because they turn themselves off if they're not used for x amount of time - my GHDs never had this.
I also prefer the thinner plate too. In addition, the pair I have actually tame my hair in the half the time as the GHD pair I had, and as my GHDs were old/still made properly/have never had a single issue with them, it's proof just how good the Remington ones are. I also like the fact you can adjust the heat settings and that they're hotter than GHDs too. Over time I found my GHDs weren't getting as hot.

If you have a friend who has a pair, ask to borrow before you buy.

If I were to be given the choice of a free pair of straighteners, I'd possibly consider Cloud 9 as they're supposed to be on a par with how GHDs used to be (so like the pair I had) but to be frank, I'm really happy with my Remington pair!

MikeLitoris Mon 13-May-13 15:58:04

wuldric id be happy to help them with their research if they want to send me some freebies grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now