Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Maternity bra help please!

(7 Posts)
PistachioTruffle Sun 12-May-13 14:08:32

I'm nine weeks pregnant, and getting to the stage where I have expanded and my regular bras are both extremely uncomfortable and causing my boobs to be squished into bizarre shapes!

I'm not really sure where to start - do I need to buy proper 'maternity' bras? Are wires a no-go? Where is best to be fitted?

The ones I've seen during my brief investigation were matronly things that looked like they'd give the monoboob effect, something I'd obviously like to avoid! I'd also like them to be comfortable and not extortionate if possible.
(I was a 32d Pre-pregnancy, if that helps)
Thanks grin

OneLittleLady Sun 12-May-13 14:32:00

If you find the bra intervention thread, you'll get the right advice there. I don't know much about maternity bras but I do know you can wear wires as long as your bra fits properly and the wires are not resting on any breast tissue.

HazleNutt Sun 12-May-13 14:33:21

it is totally fine to wear underwired bras during pregnancy and breastfeeding, as long as they fit well. I can't stand those horrible shapeless and unsupportive maternity ones, just bought a few regular bras in bigger sizes.

Best to get fitted - Bravissimo. Don't go to M&S or Mothercare, they have no idea.

Gregorythegreatreader Fri 17-May-13 23:07:58

Wear a bra you like as long as possible! Totally agree with HazleNutt; I wore underwired throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding and had no problems with mastitis etc... John Lewis and M&S sell back extenders. Bravissimo are completely the best for fitting advice, although some fitters try and tell you not to wear underwired bras during pregnancy and bf, and their maternity range is terrible. I bought a Royce one, was traumatised by my ski-slope monoboob every time I wore it, and "lost" it in the hospital. If you'd prefer soft cup, my friend with more reasonably sized boobs said Freya's maternity bras give the best shape.

gotellitonthemountain Fri 17-May-13 23:14:47

Hot milk - amazing bras, very comfortable and fairly sexy (IYSWIM). I couldn't manage underwired when breastfeeding, but was fine through pregnancy.

GeordieCherry Fri 17-May-13 23:18:32

Elle McPherson Intimates have lovely maternity/ nursing bras. Get fitted every 6 weeks & don't buy many of each new size!

Congratulations on your pregnancy thanks

WillYouDoTheVikivaki Fri 17-May-13 23:19:23

I couldn't wear underwored at all during pregnancy. I found the nurture by Miriam Stoppard from debenhams to give the best support and they looked normal non-monobooby under clothes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: