Talk

Advanced search

If you are a pear-shape...

(26 Posts)
MadBusLady Sat 11-May-13 19:02:28

What shapes do you wear?

I am a pear but I look rubbish in shapes pears are supposed to wear eg A-line skirts, tunics, things that "skim over" the hips. All the fabric just seems to draw attention to how big they are. I'm sure I look better in a neat pencil shape with a well-defined waist and I make sure there's a lot of fabric or interest going on on my top half to balance it.

But I've just done another "Dress for your bodyshape" thing (on Pepperberry) and it's insisting I need A-line and flared things, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm just deluded and go round looking like a truck.

<paranoid>

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Sat 11-May-13 19:04:33

I am the same as you so no help sorry!

Every now and then I panic over what I should be wearing but lack of funds keeps me in my old faithful stuff anyway smile

MadBusLady Sat 11-May-13 19:09:08

Well, that's a good sign I think.

Unless we're both deluded, of course. shock

Chandelierforagirl Sat 11-May-13 19:10:24

I also find a line doesn't suit me and that pencil cuts are more flattering in a curvy way. I'm wearing a lot of tube dresses at the moment in tee shirt material, with shape wear underneath, and jackets or sweaters to balance out the top.

Chandelierforagirl Sat 11-May-13 19:12:09

PS, I avoid separates, tops and trousers it tops and skirts, so as to avoid an write catching line break that emphasises how much smaller I am up top.

xTillyx Sat 11-May-13 19:13:02

Hi, this might not be helpful but I'm a pear shape and prefer to wear fitted clothes rather than things that skim over the hips/bum. But I am quite proud of having wide hips and a big bum ( I'm not skinny/toned either)

Branleuse Sat 11-May-13 19:16:16

leggings and loosely fitted dresses mainly. Ones that show my waist

LadySlatternlysHoover Sat 11-May-13 19:21:17

I'm a skinny pear if that makes any sense! I have wide hips but it's my frame. Imagine somebody that has been run over by a steam roller - that's me grin

I definitely do not suit A Line skirts. When I wear skirts or dresses, they are usually long (ankle length). My style is quite boho so I layer quite a lot but I'm flat chested and skinny so I think I get away with it but don't care that much even if I don't

Rooble Sat 11-May-13 19:22:01

Likewise. A-line emphasises the size of the hips; fitted pencil skirt (with waist that fits properly too) looks miles better. Also tend to wear shift dresses as long as they have a clearly defined waist (is that possible? I mean ones that don't look like a sack).

OrbisNonSufficit Sat 11-May-13 19:25:38

I'm pear, and a-line skirts just make me look short. I wear straight skirts or straight leg trousers, and avoid anything overly clingy or stretchy around my bottom half usually. Pencil skirts make me look huge though.

AngryFeet Sat 11-May-13 19:28:02

I do wear some a line skirts and dresses but in a light material so it doesn't stick out too much. It depends how pear shaped you are to be honest. I have a 10 inch difference between waist and hips so pencil skirts look horrendous on me. I wear bootcut jeans that are long so when I wear them with shoes or boots they end an inch from the floor (i have different pairs for flats and heels). I try to wear brighter colours and patterns or more detail on my top half. Jackets either end at the top of my hip or by the knees - anything that ends at the widest part looks awful.

AngryFeet Sat 11-May-13 19:29:23

Oh and I emphasise my waist as much as poss with wide belts or ruched waist tops. Nice necklaces and v neck tops look good as they draw the eye up and away from my giant bum ;)

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 19:45:46

Angry - what shape jeasn do you wear with flats? I have MiH Marrakesh for heels but struggle to find a good shape for flats.

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 19:47:38

I love a-line skirts and dresses, by the way. Anything pencil just clings to my saddle bags and makes me look huge.

Definitely crucial to emphasise our small waists.

HauntedArmchairOfDoom Sat 11-May-13 19:50:31

Oh A line looks awful on me. The difference between my waist and hips is ... wait for it ... SEVENTEEN INCHES hmm

The A line skirt has never been made that can cater for that shit. I wear full 50s type skirts.

Those body advice things are generic bollox. Trust your instincts/mirror!

worsestershiresauce Sat 11-May-13 19:56:25

J Lo is a pear and I've never seen a picture of her in anything A line. She looks amazing in fitted stuff.

Does that help grin

Chandelierforagirl Sat 11-May-13 20:17:07

Can I just say power to the pear shaped girls that do not hide behind the A fame!!!

Sheila Sat 11-May-13 20:20:19

Yes but J-Lo is THIN!

MadBusLady Sat 11-May-13 21:07:56

<punches air>

<overbalances>

Maybe I'm ok then! I wonder why women's magazines are so determined to make us look like dirndl-skirted peasants.

Chandelierforagirl Sat 11-May-13 21:14:15

grin madbuslady!

And clearly I meant fRame and not fame, I suppose Jlo is an a lister but mine was merely a typo.

And I could air punch all I want and not fall over. My hips are as stout as a house, hence the last thing I need is a shape that emphasises that!

FrugalFashionista Sat 11-May-13 21:29:25

I wonder whether the fact that A-line has not been terribly fashionable for a few seasons is influencing your judgement? I'm a slight pear (just enough not to feel comfortable in skinnies) but this type of dress is possibly the most flattering thing I can wear. (A line is making a comeback, you'll see a lot more soon!) I do wear pencil shapes too but an mod-style A line made me look sleek when I was 9 months pregnant shock

MadBusLady Sat 11-May-13 21:50:55

Well, I've been obsessively buying clothes for getting on for 20 years, A-lines have come in and out, and somehow I've just never owned many. Sometimes pencils are hard to find, sometimes they're everywhere (2003/4 were good years smile). I love all the wiggle stuff that's around at the moment, though it's not for everyday wear. That dress is lovely though!

mirpuppet Sat 11-May-13 21:53:11

A-line are a extreme pears friend. If you have a huge bottom I doubt a pencil will fit you well in both the waist and the hips. (i have one pencil style that fits but it has a belt at the waist).

Bodycon has it place -- but not in the office.

Tunic are not an extreme pears friend as they tend to finish around your widest part -- hips.

A dress tends to be more flattering.

I am a pear when I was thin I thought skinnies looked good on me -- I looked at the pictures and I was mistaken shock

I agree with those who say it depends just how pear shaped you are - without measuring I think I am similar to HauntedArmchairOfDoom in that I normally have a 15"+ difference. Full 50s skirts and skater dresses here. I haven't a hope of getting a pencil skirt to fit me, and I never wear trousers for the same reason.

However I'm not technically pear shaped - I also have a similar waist-bust gap.

Chandelierforagirl Sat 11-May-13 23:41:55

Mirpupet, I've given up on trousers altogether. Anyone know a good trouser for pears? I've got two inches between bust and waist but 13 inches between waist and hips. I need my hips to give me definition, to break an otherwise boring line, but I cannot find comfortable flattering trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now