Talk

Advanced search

Wedding guest outfit advice!

(10 Posts)
SingingSilver Sat 11-May-13 13:36:31

My stepbrother is getting married in May. I hate dressing formally and every time a wedding comes round I hate my outfit and never wear it again. This time is worse, due to illness I have gained 3 dress sizes (mostly round the waist apparently) and am now 18/20 though slowly slimming down.

I think I've settled on this dress, a twist front jersey in neutral colour that I hope will play down my stomach slightly http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/phase-eight//Josie-Twist-Front-Jersey-Dress/202029173

I'm hoping to find some pinky-neutral pump shoes with a chunky heel, if anyone has seen something like that please let me know!

And I'm not sure how to 'lift' the bland coloured dress with colour. Can anyone recommend what colour bag or type of jewellery would compliment? Thank you!

MrsLettuce Mon 13-May-13 14:37:46

this? Have you tried it on? TBH I find that sort of cut maximizes my belly tummy something awful. Oh, and as a general rule with 'nude' shades it's best to go a few tones paler than your skin to so it shows it off nicely rather than making you look ikky and pasty, is it?

SingingSilver Mon 13-May-13 16:21:11

My skin is already pale and pasty, I don't think anything will help that! Maybe it will look awful on me. I never know how to wear skirts or dresses.

It's on order now so I will try it on when it comes, then run to Mumsnet to panic if it looks terrible!

MrsLettuce Mon 13-May-13 16:37:05

See, IMHO, pale skin is lovely, a real asset and should be made the most of rather than played down or fake tanned into oblivion! What's you hair and eye colouring? Any idea if your skin is warm or cool toned?

MrsLettuce Mon 13-May-13 16:38:28

(OH, and it'd be best to post on real Style and Beauty for more traffic. Nobody seems to check this picture bit, I just happened across your post in Active Convos)

Carolra Mon 13-May-13 16:51:44

We sound quite similar! I'm a 16/18 and carry all my weight around my middle, pale and pasty to boot!!

I tried on the Josie at Phase Eight last week. It hangs well but it's quite low cut so I'd have needed a vest underneath. And the colour is hard to pull off with pale skin and blonde hair (easier if you are brunette maybe??)

In the end I bought the Mazarine Butterfly Dress, hangs really well over my jelly belly and I accessorised with navy heels and a navy blazer, felt very smart!!

http://www.phase-eight.co.uk/fcp/product/phase-eight//Mazarine-Butterfly-Dress/202220233

MrsLettuce Mon 13-May-13 16:57:08

Carolra's dress

this would be flattering and no need to faff with a cover up either

Carolra Mon 13-May-13 17:04:36

Thank you MrsLettuce!

For what it's worth, I tried on the Dove one as well, it's a nice dress! Same plunging neck line that would probably need a vest underneath but it's a great choice.

MrsLettuce Mon 13-May-13 17:09:57

I always pin wraps to me bra wink

SingingSilver Mon 13-May-13 17:11:33

Thank you both! I actually like both of those dresses more than my own choice!

My skin is warm toned, I think, because any pale pink or beige lipstick makes me look washed out. I look better with peach or coral lipstick. I have brown hair but there is some red in it. My hairdresser is trying to convince me to go for a burgundy colour, so it may be that colour by the wedding.

I'll try that first dress then post again in the right place (still finding my way around!) I have a few unworn maxi dresses from last summer that I thought could possibly be suitable but I've put on so much weight round the waist I actually look pregnant in them sad I'd be mortified if anyone asked me when it was due!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now