Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Maxi dress to flatter pear shape

(10 Posts)
Stevie77 Fri 10-May-13 13:52:22

I am after a not too dressy maxi dress to wear on my hols. Am a size 12 (top end), pear shape and find the jersey ones horribly clingy and highlighting every lump and bump. Then the empire cut ones make me look awfully pregnant hmm.

Any ideas where to find something flattering and not too expensive (as I won't get much wear out of it)

janmoomoo Fri 10-May-13 14:28:30

I am the same size and shape as you, and have tried on about 30 maxi dresses over the last couple of weeks. So many are incredibly clingy and show everything, as you say.

I got a lovely one from Laura Ashley but its not on their website so cant link. Not too strappy, nice ruching at the front to hide the tum, hangs nice at the back so its not giving me VPL. It was a bit expensive but they had one of those 30% off everything days.

Good luck in your hunt.

sirtoffeedoris Fri 10-May-13 14:30:57

Only one that has ever suited me, having a body more like a lumpy old pillow than anything else

Stevie77 Fri 10-May-13 14:34:40

Thanks both! Glad to hear I'm not the only one in this situation. perhaps maxi dresses have been created to flatter the already slim...

What's the RI one called? The link is not opening on my phone (and I'm too impatient to wait!)

FuckThisShit Fri 10-May-13 14:41:46

Stevie it's called Black Floral Ditsy Print Maxi Dress. I will watch this thread with interest as I am also on the look out for a great maxi dress.

I have one that is excellent and I love it, but it's black. I got it from Zara in Spain about three years ago; we lived there and it was perfect for everything from a smart dinner to flinging over bikini to go to the beach. I'm kicking myself now for not going back to the mall to buy a few in various colours/patterns.

I've jot been in a Zara back here for a few months, so I'll go and have a look and hope! Will report back if I have any joy.

Oly4 Fri 10-May-13 19:00:20

White Company jersey dresses don't cling I find. I am a 12/14 and get lots of compliments on them. The styling seems to skim hips and bum

Oly4 Fri 10-May-13 19:01:13

...though they are blooming expensive!!

Queenbee245 Fri 10-May-13 19:05:23

I have the same prob too, that RI one is lovely though so tempted

Stevie77 Fri 10-May-13 19:20:01

Finally got around to checking the River Island dress, and I'm not keen on the flutter at the bottom. I was thinking, less boho. Quite like a couple of the others but can't figure out if they're a jersey-type material so I guess I'll have to pop in the shop!

ClartyCarol Fri 10-May-13 19:28:38

www.next.co.uk/g502018s1#776813g50

I have just got this one for my upcoming holiday, I know it's jersey but it's really flattering. I'm far from slim but it looks really good, if I say so myself!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: