Talk

Advanced search

For those who've done project 333, what were the benefits?

(6 Posts)
Justonemorecardi Fri 10-May-13 08:54:58

I keep seeing this project and wondered what the benefits are. Is it for those who want to live a minimalist life, or save money? Or does it really help with creativity in dressing? If its the later how does it do this? Can't it be done without restricting yourself to a number of items?

Also are there any sites that recommend the proportions of tops, bottoms etc in the 33?

TheaJTS Fri 10-May-13 17:39:40

Not heard about this one before, but sounds interesting. Off to do some research!

FrugalFashionista Fri 10-May-13 20:41:59

Lots of 333ers on the Frugal thread.
Recovering Shopaholic (a blog) has just got going.
Miss Minimalist (another blog, not very active any more) has great ebooks on minimalist living. She writes really well.
Haven't done Project 333 yet but I'm definitely interested and many.

I'm sick and tired of clothes everywhere, I have too many.
My first goal is to slowly whittle down the excess to fit my current wardrobe space <baby steps>

FrugalFashionista Fri 10-May-13 20:48:26

Oh, and to me the point would be further decluttering my house - I love empty space - and stopping destructive overconsumption.
I'm simply tired of fast fashion and ever decreasing quality in clothes and that apparel production is often such a murky, exploitative business.

Saving money would be nice too, but not the primary objective.

Some RL Project 333 selections here.

QueenofWhatever Sat 11-May-13 10:09:07

I've been doing Project 333 since mid-December and have talked about it quite a bit on the frugal threads.

The biggest benefit to me has been the sense of calm and lack of overwhelm I feel about my wardrobe. I didn't have a ridiculous amount of clothes, certainly a lot less than many people on S&B. But I had plenty of things I didn't love or felt I should wear because I hadn't had them that long, or they'd been expensive, or someone had once said looked nice.

I mix and match far more now because as there is less hanging up, I can see different combinations more easily. I can also see what I'm short of in my wardrobe, rather than randomly buying stuff.

Don't worry about how many tops and bottoms to have. I would go through your wardrobe and take out everything that you would rate as an 8/10 or more. If it's less than 33 things (it was for me), add some 7/10s. If it's more, just start with those. Take the other stuff out or make some kind of clear division. Then hang all your 8/10+ clothes up with the hangers facing the wrong way. Every time you wear something, hang it back the right way round.

After a few weeks, go back and see what you're really wearing. I was genuinely surprised by this. One big thing that came out was that I had a lot of dresses, but rarely wear dresses. Pinterest has also been really useful for playing around with ideas and also pinning stuff that I like, but isn't right for my lifestyle. That way I still feel like I have it, if that makes sense.

Justonemorecardi Sat 11-May-13 11:15:21

Thanks frugal and queen I've seen you on the frugal threads (love them). I think the 8 out of 10 rule is a good idea, especially for new purchases. I've also being trying to mix those clothes that are less in different ways to get them upgraded (which has happened). I guess my main aim is to buy more carefully and wear everything I have where possible. Its really made me think, and I was wondering whether project 333 would take me one step further.

Free ebay listing this weekend, so I will be further decluttering. Calm here I come!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now