Talk

Advanced search

Where do you buy good quality nice clothes?

(37 Posts)
msrisotto Fri 10-May-13 08:29:38

I used to get lovely clothes from New Look, Topshop, GAP French Connection etc but I think quality has really gone down. It all seems to be polyester, so cheap it's see through or hideous cut or prints. Where are the nice clothes hiding?

ChasingStaplers Fri 10-May-13 08:31:39

Keeping an eye on this thread as I completely agree. I've been pregnant/breastfeeding for the last 5+ years (3DC) and now I am ready to overhaul my wardrobe I can't find anything I like/suits me!

Reastie Fri 10-May-13 10:25:54

Also keeping an eye! I used to get stuff from Monsoon but whenever I've been in recently nothing stands out and it seems expensive for what it is and quality seems to have gone downhill. Some bits I have from boden are great quality but other bits are pretty average. I do like Phase Eight and never had any quality problems from there.

PoshPaula Fri 10-May-13 10:31:14

Currently - Joules, and Mint Velvet. I've got a few bits from Hush. Boden for a few basics. For shoes, it's Russell and Bromley. Admittedly I do spend quite a bit, but I hate buying poor quality stuff. Jigsaw was my favourite for years but they have got a bit too expensive, in my view.

higgle Fri 10-May-13 10:41:44

Toast and Brora, mainly in the sale as they are both £££££

Laquila Fri 10-May-13 10:51:08

For best quality to value ratio, I'd say M&S, John Lewis own brand (not all of it)...Boden in the sale (although hit and miss) and Gap. Also Fat Face has good quality jeans and chinos.

For best quality in a slightly higher price bracket I'd second Mint Velvet and also suggest Hobbs, sometimes Hush (particularly their PJs - I've still got pairs I bought from there five years ago), sometimes Whistles and Reiss, maybe Ted Baker although I find it's best for v petite people.

ToastedTeacakes Fri 10-May-13 10:54:04

Quite stuck myself, there seems to be an abyss between high street and high end. The middle ground doesn't cut it for me, not when places like Whistles think it's ok to charge £200 for a small, ugly little leather handbag.

Quality-wise I do like Hobbs, but their stock isn't always my type of thing.

I also think that middle ground companies like Toast, Joules, etc are aware of our demographic and milk us for every penny we have.

Brora and Toast especially take the piss.....
I admire your fair trade stance, Toast, but please don't expect me to pay hundreds for a polyester string bag, even if it was hand woven by a genuine craftswoman.

ToastedTeacakes Fri 10-May-13 10:59:54

Forgot to mention, I really do rate Jaeger. My bags last years and are equal in quality to any that I've seen or purchased higher end. The dresses and knits are lovely, too.

Also loved Aubin&Wills, but they sadly shut down. Many basics and unbranded items from Jack Wills have lasted well, too. Recently bought a gorgeous crochet teeshirt which I'm very pleased with.

YoniOno Fri 10-May-13 11:06:52

Just avoid the 'fast fashion' stuff, you know, polyester blouses and so on. Keep it simple and you'll find stuff anywhere. New Look still has good cotton basics as do supermarkets, Gap have lots of good tops as do Uniqlo. Look online for trousers and jeans, at boutiques like Atterley Rd, Outnet, Donna Ida etc. Shoes - always check Shoeaholics. Good jewellery and bag.

I think you just need to be focused and blinkered. We're surrounded by the clothes equivalent of fast food and junk, but there is plenty of good stuff out there and you don't have to spend loads or look too far, honestly.

polyhymnia Fri 10-May-13 11:12:54

Jaeger, L. K. Bennett, some Hobbs, some Boden, Comptoir des Cotonniers.

For shoes, definitely Russell and Bromley.

iseenodust Fri 10-May-13 11:25:58

I discovered Jaeger has an outlet store in Meadowhall. (It's not clearly labelled as such.) Recently bought a silk blouse in Monsoon that I love. For wool/cashmere check TKMaxx but might take more than one visit as stock changes frequently.

msrisotto Fri 10-May-13 11:34:44

Thanks everyone. I am 27 and my mum shops in Hobbs, Jaeger etc so i've been reluctant to go there myself! harsh.
YoniOno - I do find classic wear easily enough but sometimes i'd like a nice print or something as a statement piece I suppose or just to add interest as classics can get a bit boring.

GoofyIsACow Fri 10-May-13 11:44:23

Ooh watching with interest smile

ToastedTeacakes Fri 10-May-13 11:54:12

Hobbs NW3 and Jaeger Boutique are aimed at younger shoppers (ie, your age group), if that helps! The very young models wearing the clothes don't look remotely frumpy or out of place.

I think you might have a hard time locating quality for a younger demographic, mostly because manufacturers have decided you are all supposed to succumb to polyester tat so long as it apes the latest catwalk (sad, but true). I also think it's about what kind of style attracts you.....could you perhaps list people who's style you admire so that we can get a good idea? For instance, I'm drawn to Clemence Poesy, Emmanuelle Alt, K Dunst, etc, so would be unlikely to shop at Superdry..

polyhymnia Fri 10-May-13 12:01:52

Comptoir des Cotonniers is pretty good for younger people, I'd have thought. But it's a while since I've been 27!

maybemyrtle Fri 10-May-13 12:03:46

I really rate Muji for reasonably priced, well made basics. There's a fairly limited range but that can be a blessing a disguise wink. I also like Uniqlo but that's a bit more hit and miss, and have found some fab bits in TK Maxx.

msrisotto Fri 10-May-13 12:10:23

Hah I'm no fashionista, can't think of any idols....I lean towards hippy and 50s styles and shapes I suppose. Maybe I need to find an idol...

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 10-May-13 12:14:58

Comptoir has very good and regular sales but a lot of their stuff has a lot of viscose in it.

I love J Crew and am very happy they're finally opening in the UK.

Gap good for some stuff but their knitwear is dire in my opinion.

Also agree whistles quality has gone down (so much polyester) and yet the prices go up. Jigsaw the same - £95 for a polyester shirt, I don't think so.

But its sales season soon and bargains to be hand on matches/nap etc.

ToastedTeacakes Fri 10-May-13 12:27:12

modcloth!

thriftychic Fri 10-May-13 12:58:13

i see lots of lovely things at modcloth , but is it going to cost me a fortune for delivery / returns ?

Rattitude Fri 10-May-13 12:59:32

I like Pure Collection. I really rate their wool/cashmere jumpers. They often have offers on - you may need to register with them to be notified of them though.

I have not yet bought from Poetry but there are a few items that have caught my eye.

msrisotto Fri 10-May-13 13:49:12

Hey Thanks for introducing me to Modcloth, I like what I have seen so far!

ToastedTeacakes Fri 10-May-13 14:06:28

Also check asos for Sessun:

www.asos.com/Women/A-To-Z-Of-Brands/Sessun/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=10110

Some of these types also pop up at urban outfitters:

www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/clothing/dresses/icat/wdresses/

ToastedTeacakes Fri 10-May-13 14:08:02

Another interesting EU store, stock many brands in same way as Asos, always worth a look

www.monshowroom.com/en/products/women/products

Rulesgirl Fri 10-May-13 14:16:33

White Stuff have some lovely stuff. I tend to go for the plain things though not patterns. They are very soft and comfortable. Part Two is also good for basics as well as more trendy items.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now