Talk

Advanced search

Kerastase hair products - worth the outrageous money?

(17 Posts)
PacificDogwood Thu 09-May-13 23:05:21

I used to use this when I was young and flighty single with a good disposable income.
More recently it's been whatever shampoo has been on offer...

So, as I am growing my hair (just over chinlength bob at the mo') aiming for below-collarbone-length, I thought I might invest a bit in to my hair care products again.
But, wow, at the prices - I've been away for a long time, clearly shock.
Also, all the poncy language on their homepage annoyed me. 'Bain' - my arse, it's a shampoo!

I am just talking myself out of trying them again, aren't I grin?
Well, I thank you, putting it all down in writing may have just saved my some dosh...

Or what do you think?? Anybody using Kerastase products? On hennaed hair grin?

BelleDameSansMerci Thu 09-May-13 23:11:53

Ah, was with you until the henna element. I think Kerastase is worth every penny. I use www.lookfantastic.com as they're cheaper than the salon I use.

PacificDogwood Thu 09-May-13 23:15:33

Ah, thanks, Belle.

Yes, I know, my little midlive crisis - not buying a sportcar but using henna again grin. 'Tis great and I am not red!
I don't really think it matters as henna sits ON the hair shaft and does not penetrate it IYKWIM.

I might just go a get one of their hair masques or summat... I am just itching to try them, can you tell?!

Pusspuss1 Fri 10-May-13 00:05:00

I let my hairdresser talk me into buying one of their shampoos and conditioners recently (green bottles). I was really disappointed - the shampoo was just average, and the conditioner was rubbish. I wouldn't get it again.

EmpressMaud Fri 10-May-13 00:25:05

Yes, they are. The hair masque and serum were my staple buys at one time.

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 10-May-13 09:31:35

Using Kerastase products has spoiled me for cheaper hair care. You can feel the difference in quality of their shampoos from the first application IMO. Cheaper shampoos now just feel harsh to me, as though they are stripping my hair.

Their heat protecting creams are gorgeous too.

polyhymnia Fri 10-May-13 09:47:21

Definitely think they are worth the money and wouldn't want to trade down now. That said, I do have short hair so a bottle lasts ages.

YoniOno Fri 10-May-13 11:11:48

Dunno about the shampoos but the Masquintense is amazing, I get the one for fine hair and it's the only thing that makes my hair not break and actually grow past my shoulders <highlights addict> it seems to thicken and strengthen my hair.

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 11:15:02

Look on ebay, bet it's cheaper on there!

radicalradish Fri 10-May-13 11:20:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VillaVillekulla Fri 10-May-13 11:25:19

I also think the masque (nutritive one - oleo relax I think) is worth the exorbitant cost but I'm less convinced about the shampoos and serums. I've tried a few shampoos and I've only really liked one of them (again, the nutritive oleo one) but not so much that I'd keep on buying it every time. The serums and oils are nice but no nicer than other cheaper products like the L'Oreal Exquisite Oil or whatever it's called.

If you're going to get one thing, get one of the masques/intensive treatments. The rest is nice but not amazing.

VillaVillekulla Fri 10-May-13 11:25:56

Oh and definitely shop around. Feel Unique and Look Fantastic often have promotions on such as 15 or 20% off.

valiumredhead Fri 10-May-13 11:34:46

Cheapsmells website is excellent too for hair products.

dontyouwantmebaby Fri 10-May-13 12:28:15

I occasionally treat myself to kerastase but find it prohibitively expensive for everyday use. Last ones I got were called chroma captive colour-protecting shampoo bain lol and conditioner (pink bottles) . I really liked them but...

I've since discovered L'Oreal No sulphates Ever Pure colour care (comes in a pink tube) in Boots. I find they cleanse and condition really well, giving identical results as kerastase does, thankfully not as pricey though.

faustina Fri 10-May-13 12:48:23

active beauty have 30% off all Kerastase at the moment. it def pays to shop around. i've been using their shampoo and masques for a few years now and I really notice the difference. Also you need less than cheaper brands, so it lasts longer.

chockbic Fri 10-May-13 13:10:54

The masque is no better than cheaper intensive treatments for me.

Plus it smells of hair :ick:

PacificDogwood Fri 10-May-13 19:35:32

Oh, thank you all smile.

Kerastase is just the more pretentious expensive branch of l'Oreal, isn't it?
I have the l'Oreal oil and I like it. I have also been considering going SLS free, therefor silicone free and, of course, guess what's in the fripping oil??
Sigh. The search for perfect hair care continues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now