Talk

Advanced search

Smart/casual wedding outfit when bf with newborn

(5 Posts)
csmm Thu 09-May-13 10:33:35

Hello

My brother's getting married in a couple of weeks and all going well I'll be going with a tiny nb. Thing is, I don't know what to wear. I don't need to be overly formal, but still fairly smart, and I'll be bf so want to steer clear of dresses. Thinking little jacket, loose top and some nice trousers (things to cover the flabby belly and expanded arse of pregnancy). Anyone have any suggestions?

TIA

Jemimapuddleduk Thu 09-May-13 11:07:18

Hello, congratulations on your newborn. I know you said no to a dress but I just went to a family christening with my newborn and wore a dress from mamas and papas that is designed for breastfeeding. It was black with blue spots and v flattering. Think it was £35 so a good price. Not sure how to link sorry. Teamed it with a sparkly cardi and some blue heels.

oscarwilde Thu 09-May-13 11:47:36

I had some white work maternity trousers from Gap which looked smart and the waistband was comfy post CS so it might be worth looking over your existing maternity wear (sorry, I know you are probably sick of it by now) to see what you could use with a smart top if you have a CS. A dress is also an easier solution in some ways as you can slip off a shoulder strap and expose a boob under one of those feeding burkas / big scarf.
Steer clear of dark colours and chiffon type fabric on your top half [patterns are your friend] as it shows up baby puke and moisture from dribbling babies/leaky boobs. Go and stick some extra breastpads in the changing bag now while you think of it grin

csmm Thu 09-May-13 15:52:33

Thanks for your replies. Was thinking a white/cream baggy top and trousers. Might have a look at Gap stuff. Problem with maternity gear is that my bum has got too big for most of it and none was particularly smart as I don't work in a profession where I need to dress for the office.

Good tip about extra breast pads! Hadn't thought of that. (Use washable ones so might have to invest in some disposables for the trip)

FrenchRivieraMum Thu 09-May-13 16:07:31

I remember what I nightmare it was trying to fit into clothes for special occasions when mine were born. I was out of hospital on the 31st dec for one of them and invited to a New Year’s do the same evening!
I've always found that a simple tunic top can really dress up a pair of simple stretch leggings. Plus if put with some nice shoes can really look classy. I live in Nice and get mine from this site called TortuedeMer.com (look at the long sleeved kaftans) that has an English side and delivers to the UK. Don't be put off by all of the slender looking women modeling the clothes as I know they also look really good on larger sizes. Good luck searching and enjoy the wedding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now