Talk

Advanced search

Plus size smart/casual help sorely needed

(4 Posts)
ballinacup Thu 09-May-13 09:14:26

I'm short and round (5'3 and a size 20) and need some inspiration. I work as a solicitor in a very relaxed office, no one wears suits or tailoring, but everyone looks smart and very very lovely. I feel like a sack of spuds tied with string in comparison.

I just do not have a clue what to wear. I see lovely dresses but then... what would I wear on my legs? They're lily white and do not tan easily, so I feel embarrassed bearing them, but tights always seem to wrinkle down, probably because I'm so short and dumpy. Linen trousers seem like a nice summer option but what to wear on top? And with linen trousers usually being quite a wide leg, will I make myself look short er and round er ?

I don't have a huge amount to spend, but could probably stretch to the likes of Monsoon/Dorothy Perkins prices for a few really nice mix and match outfits. Any help would be greatly received flowers

valiumredhead Thu 09-May-13 09:19:19

No advice but please don't fret about white legs, fake tan is vastly over rated imo, tights in the summer are vile - just be pale and interesting grin

ballinacup Thu 09-May-13 09:38:08

Fake tan frightens me, it wouldn't have been an option as every time I used it in my teenage years I would be anticipating a warm, sunkissed glow and would end up looking like an Oompa Loompa that had melted. Every time.

valiumredhead Thu 09-May-13 09:42:22

Me too grin

Do you wear scarves? What about linen trousers, plain top and a loose scarf in pretty colours? I have no clue really, I'm sure someone more stylish will come along in a mo and put me straight!

Jewellery is a good way to start feeling a bit smart ime - invest in a few bits of silver, earrings and a bracelet perhaps? I look on line for bargains as it tends to be cheaper.

Hair - do you have a good cut? I always think that can start you off feeling good about yourself and more confident.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now