Talk

Advanced search

Maxi Dress help

(10 Posts)
lovesmileandlaugh Thu 09-May-13 06:39:42

I'm pretty rubbish with clothes!
But I would like a nice maxi dress! I'm 5'8", size 16 although I have huge norkage and a belly to match. Legs and arms are absolutely fine.
I tend to wear jeans, black tops and scarfs with converse type outfits.
I've been following you guys avidly, but thought I'd ask for some help!
My budget is small, probably under £30 (ish). I tend to buy in supermarkets or online.
Many thanks

sassytheFIRST Thu 09-May-13 07:08:06

Tbh, I'd avoid. I have massive tits and maxis look (a) unimaginative and (b) like a ship in full sail.

If you must, go with thick jersey, nothing billowy. New Look had a few last week.

Cherrypie32 Thu 09-May-13 07:25:28

I have same large bust and belly and just bought this from Oasis m.oasis-stores.com/t-shirt-maxi-dress/maxi-dresses/oasis/fcp-product/3190360228 although am still debating keeping it. It is quite heavy jersey so hangs over lumps and bumps but I still feel a bit huge in it. TBH with good legs and arms you might be better off with a tea dress, show off the good bits. I have always struggled with maxi's hmm

lovesmileandlaugh Thu 09-May-13 07:42:54

Okay, I get the idea of showing off arms and legs, might scrap the maxi idea then! Time to fake tan the legs then! Thank you

DewDr0p Thu 09-May-13 10:43:27

I think you can wear a maxi but it needs a deepish v neck and ideally would be empire line to avoid the looking massive thing. The empire line will nip you in at your narrowest part.

ChewingOnLifesGristle Thu 09-May-13 10:49:00

I disagree about not being ok to wear a maxi as long as the fabric is drapey and the style is right.

I got this from Matalan the other day and it looks fab.

Actually mine was in an orangey pattern but it's not on the site for some reason. I tried this one on too though and think I might go back for itsmile

ChewingOnLifesGristle Thu 09-May-13 10:51:23

Oh hang on, actually they do have the pattern I got. It was this same style as the first one though.

Cherrypie32 Thu 09-May-13 13:57:00

Have to disagree, empire line maxi when you have tum and boobs makes you look and feel pregnant.

lovesmileandlaugh Thu 09-May-13 14:37:52

My colleague at work who is a similar size (but not as tall) often wears maxi dresses with a cardigan, and I think it flatters her.

lovesmileandlaugh Thu 09-May-13 14:39:57

I like that one chew! I want to wear it with my denim jacket. Shall try mooch over to Matalan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now