Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Do you ever order clothes when you have to pay for returns?

(102 Posts)
Restorer Wed 08-May-13 21:03:23

I'm not good at on-line shopping. Over the years I've kept far too many duff items because I was too lazy to send them back. Now I have a policy that if I don't love it, it goes back. OK is not good enough.

I have a largeish order I'd like to place, including a couple of items in more than one size and colour to see what's best. I thought that was how on-line shopping was supposed to work, but if I have to pay Royal Mail rates to return them, it's going to be very expensive indeed, so I probably won't buy anything at all from this company. I can't go into the shop, because we don't have any decent shops round here - even the slightly better shops only seem to sell the bottom end of their range.

Why do companies think it's a good idea to charge for returns and do you use them if they do?

Roshbegosh Wed 08-May-13 21:09:25

No, it pisses me off. Paying for postage in the first place is bad enough but then to pay for returns as well and end up with nothing. Bummer.

dexter73 Wed 08-May-13 21:14:26

I probably wouldn't if it was a large order and I knew I was going to return some of it. Would cost £££ and you would have to do it special delivery in case it got lost. Mind you I can't remember the last time I placed an order and they didn't have free returns. Which company is it? (nosy)

catslave Wed 08-May-13 21:18:10

Which company? Ask and I'll bet there's a coupon for free returns somewhere. Unless it is Mango, who really p me off with that.

hollyisalovelyname Wed 08-May-13 21:18:55

I don't live in uk at the moment and it is sooo expensive to order from uk cos of cost of returns - so often postage is outrageous even to deliver!! La Redoute has only just reduced it's postal charge of twenty five quid approx to a tiny amount. It's a start. I envy you in U.K.things are so easy to get snd so much cheaper.

CheesyPoofs Wed 08-May-13 21:19:34

No, but most places I buy from offer free returns now. Or I just return to the shop.

orangeandemons Wed 08-May-13 21:22:12

Toast charge for returns, and so does Celtic. I remember when Internet shopping first started it was meant to be the cheaper option < cynical emoticon>. I think having to pay postage on returns is bloody cheeky

SilverSixpence Wed 08-May-13 21:26:28

I do buy from Toast but only in the sales. Parcel2go and other couriers
Are much cheaper than royal mail.

ThisIsNotAFlyingToy Wed 08-May-13 21:33:50

Uniqlo charge which does piss me off

optionalExtras Wed 08-May-13 21:37:49

I just have. Worse, it's jeans for DD. From Hollister. They won't fit, and it's going to cost me, I know it. Delivery was free of course!

Cherrypie32 Wed 08-May-13 21:38:40

Been caught out with Lands End and Toast yes. I didn't really think about it but will now.

Cherrypie32 Wed 08-May-13 21:39:48

Oh and The White Company.

guiltguilty Wed 08-May-13 21:57:28

No it would really piss me off

DIddled Wed 08-May-13 22:00:07

Word to the wise- postage charges have gone up as well lately- I sold something on e bay and it cost much more than it used to sad

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 08-May-13 22:01:07

Jo jo maman bebe does free delivery, but you always have to pay postage for returns.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 08-May-13 22:04:01

Once by mistake with Seasalt, I won't order from them again.

bishboschone Wed 08-May-13 22:08:01

I only buy from shops I can return to instore. Makes life easier if you get free delivery then free returns , just take them back when you are passing .

trixymalixy Wed 08-May-13 22:10:09

No, I won't order if I have to pay for return postage.

DarrellRivers Wed 08-May-13 22:14:01

No, never order on-line if have to pay for returns
Love ordering loads on-line if free delivery and returns
(Take note retailers)

MacaYoniAndCheese Wed 08-May-13 22:26:58

If I'm ordering a lot, and I have a good coupon code, then I don't mind paying a bit to return something that I've ordered to "try out". Being able to try stuff on at home, with different things you already own etc is a luxury imo.

Nehru Wed 08-May-13 22:28:15

Never twice. Ill order three if something to get free delivery then use the free return

Nehru Wed 08-May-13 22:28:46

Try collect plus for returns.

Nehru Wed 08-May-13 22:28:59

Office shoes are offenders

Hopefully Thu 09-May-13 06:25:31

For most people, getting to a town with decent shops costs a lot more than postage (petrol, parking etc) , so I generally think it's worth it. Also if it's free shipping/returns, you know they just build the shipping price into the clothes price, right?

Nehru Thu 09-May-13 06:34:48

I most admit I do weigh up the parking costs with m and s whose postage is reasonable.
Mint velvet- bin the big box and tissue and I'd order more; your postage is prohibitive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: