Talk

Advanced search

Do you plan your wardrobe and shop for specific items or just wander round and try on what you fancy?

(15 Posts)
IceNoSlice Wed 08-May-13 19:08:26

I usually fall into the latter. And end up with a mishmash of random items. Some of which don't really get worn.

I need new clothes. I'm a completely different size and shape to the pre-preg me (I'm smaller, whoop!)

So should I go shopping with a different strategy? How? Look online first? Tips would be appreciated smile

Spookey80 Wed 08-May-13 19:53:58

I really am no expert, but I usually wander around seeing what I fancy, then return home with a nice top that I never wear and look at my clothes thinking "I've hot nothing to wear"!
So I am trying to change this and when I recently packed my winter stuff away and got out my spring/ summer bits, I decided to have a try on in order to have some outfits planned in my head. This then enabled me to see what gaps I had, and when I last went shopping I knew that I needed some jeans and some new flat shoes.
I then avoided all the other stuff that wasn't jeans or flat shoes!
So my advice maybe, try on a yr stuff and see what you need?
Helped me.

MrsHoarder Wed 08-May-13 19:56:57

I go shopping when I need something specific. So a new pair if Jeans, a summer dress or something like that. But then if I find something flattering I buy it in 3-4 colours and wear pretty much the same thing most days.

How can you shop when you don't need something?

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Wed 08-May-13 20:03:51

I used to buy random stuff but found I had a wardrobe full of random stuff grin and nothing really matched.

Now I try and plan what I want and stick to it when shopping. I look online to put outfits together so I know what I'm shopping for, and try and get 2 tops for every pair of trousers or skirt.

Also, plain white tshirts or vests with a mumsnet scarf go with most things for day to day wear.

itsnothingoriginal Wed 08-May-13 20:05:11

Looking online first for ideas and the latest looks is a good strategy I find, but since being made redundant I live in jeans and tops so can't go far wrong with my clothes (can't afford to either!).

Having lost quite a bit of weight too I've found it quite surprising what actually now looks good so I'd definitely suggest trying some things on that you wouldn't previously have considered.

TravelinColour Wed 08-May-13 20:12:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ellesabe Wed 08-May-13 21:51:10

This woman is a genius

Especially the 'building a remixable wardrobe' and 'wardrobe from scratch' pages.

naturelover Wed 08-May-13 21:56:02

I tend to plan.

I have a small wardrobe so twice a year I have to switch my clothes around (out-of-season stuff lives in a big plastic box in a different cupboard). When I unpack it I try to spot gaps. I then do a lot of online browsing of my favourite shops to get an idea of what I can find and where.

Often I am replacing something I love that has worn out e.g. skinny jeans, knee boots, grey cardi ...

Then I go shopping for real, with a list. But of course I see other things I like, and I'll buy them only if a) I can afford them in addition to the things I need and b) if they co-ordinate with things I already have.

All this is made easier by the fact that I've had my colours done and have also over the years figured out which styles suit me. I'm pretty unadventurous and not trend-driven. I guess I have a bit of a capsule wardrobe. It works for me!

I wear 100% of my clothes, possibly because I am strict about what I buy but also because I charity-shop stuff that doesn't work and recycle worn-out things.

Justonemorecardi Thu 09-May-13 12:43:33

I do a mixture. I like to plan, but I also find lots in TK Maxx, so I do buy on impulse if I like something. However I try to make it 'work' with other things in my wardrobe with the return period, and if I'm not totally sure I try to be ruthless at returning.

I never used to plan, but I find I have far more to wear now as I complete outfits rather than having lots of lovely things that don't go with anything else. I also try to keep to certain colours, which means most things I have now go with other items in my wardrobe, I like navy, grey, white, pale pink and black. I've found over time that I really don't like wearing brown or bright colours, so I avoid buying these.

I also found I liked buying formal stuff but never wore it, so I try to buy for the life I actually lead smile

VerySmallSqueak Thu 09-May-13 12:45:25

I do both.
I shop for specific items on ebay and try on random things I fancy in charity shops.

carrie74 Thu 09-May-13 12:47:27

A bit of both, but I tend not to buy something unless I know exactly how I'm going to wear it (so I know I've got something that goes with it, and occasions to wear it, IYSWIM).

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Thu 09-May-13 12:55:28

I plan everything which has worked well as I now have a very 'mix and match' wardrobe.

However, I have no control over myself when it comes to shoes!

santamarianovella Thu 09-May-13 12:59:14

Both,
I try to avoid impulse purchases,unless I'm certain I have something to go with it.

ProveYourLoveToMe Thu 09-May-13 13:03:54

I make a list of what's coming up in the next 3-4 months and check I have sth to wear for each event (BBQ, reunion lunch, wedding x2, christening) - often the same outfit where possible.

Have just bought navy flats to go with more formal dress for most of the events coming up.

Am sahm so everyday wear is jeans and tshirt. I'd like birkies and trainers for summer but don't really need them so am making do w old ones. More boden scoop neck Ts too as they're fab for feeding. And a statement necklace to make them more exciting for BBQs/lunch out.

freddiefrog Thu 09-May-13 13:05:12

I tend to shop for something specific these days.

I used to wander aimlessly and come back with a random assortment of stuff that never went with anything I already had, resulting in a bulging wardrobe of crap that I didn't really know how to wear

These days I use Polyvore or Pinterest to find looks or styles I like and then go shopping. I've found it much easier to find things that suit me and to plan outfits round things I already have if I have an idea in my head of what I want to wear with it

I now have a smaller, but better organised wardrobe which I wear more often and get more out of and I have a rough idea of what's in there. I still randomly impulse buy occasionally but don't have loads of stuff festering at the back of my cupboards

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now