Talk

Advanced search

Holiday wardrobe - help needed please

(9 Posts)
NoHank Wed 08-May-13 14:24:18

We are going to Menorca at the end of this month. I have finally got round to going through the very few summer / holiday items I have and realised they are very lacking. Some of them I wore on my honeymoon which is 10 years ago this September.

So I am going shopping next weekend but I have no idea of what I should be buying or what people are wearing. I am 38 so not sure about rocking a playsuit but I definitely need some basics to keep me going. Also I am on a budget so whatever I get will need to last me through the summer months here too. I can't afford to buy things that I will only wear on holiday. So what would be your holiday staples be and where should I be looking to buy them for a reasonable price, thanks

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Wed 08-May-13 15:28:32

Menorca won't be too warm of an evening at this time of year so these are surprisingly really nice, especially in white or navy. They've washed really well. I wore the navy ones on Monday with a white vest (less than £5 from H&M I think) and a scarf and took a little cardigan out with me for when it got chilly.

NoHank Wed 08-May-13 16:05:51

Oh I have a lovely pair of white pants already so have a start. So I can pick up some vest tops too easily enough.
I never thought about it being cool in the evening so will look out for a little cardigan too that will go with most things, thanks

TerraNotSoFirma Wed 08-May-13 16:29:53

Tell us what you have already, That you want to keep.
Maybe we can suggest things to add to what you already have.

scarlet76 Wed 08-May-13 17:27:54

Daytime:
Swimsuit, shorts, vests, cotton sundress, flipflops, pumps, hat, sunglasses

Night:
White jeans, blue jeans, Ts and cotton blouse top, maxi dresses, cardigan, sandals and wedges.

NoHank Wed 08-May-13 17:50:20

Terra I have so little my DM joked today I would be able to take it all in a carrier bag, and she isn't wrong.

I have gone through again and discarded a few items that were really old or I just did not feel comfortable in at all and was only holding on to as I had nothing else.

So I am left with a pair of long white cotton trousers which I do really like and are quite smart and a pair of cream linen trousers. A pair of cut off white ones which are ok for the day. One black flowery maxi dress that I only got last year and still like. No tops to speak of at all. No bikinis or beach wear either. The bra thread has been a life saver but I am struggling finding bikini's in my size in regular shops (34FF)
I also have a couple of skirts but again I am holding onto them as I had nothing else rather than really liking them or wanting to wear them.

I have a pair of black flip flop style sandals but no evening footwear.

scarlet Thank you. I have started a list. I am going shopping this weekend. I am dreading it already, mainly because I am bound to see loads of things I like and can't afford

DrGoogleWillSeeYouNow Wed 08-May-13 18:21:20

If you're a 34FF then you really need to invest in a fantastic bikini from somewhere like Bravissimo, it'll be expensive but worth it and it will last a good few years. I've got one that's about 5 years old now and still ok.

NoHank Wed 08-May-13 20:33:36

I agree about the bikini. I know it's more of an investment. I'm hoping there'll be lots more holidays to come smile

But I'll definitely need to budget on the rest. Money is a bit tight at the moment unfortunately

JamEyelid Wed 08-May-13 20:55:36

Fat Face have a sale on at the moment. I got a cotton dress and t shirt yesterday. May be something on there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now