Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you suggest ways I can do 1950s style for a hen do on zero budget?

(15 Posts)
naturelover Tue 07-May-13 14:06:49

Or cheap at the very least?

There is also the issue of not looking ridiculous.

I have images of those flared-out prom-dress style things but it's the opposite of flattering on my shape (tall, athletic, flat-chested). I don't have curves.

Oh goodness I don't like "fancy dress" much at all. I always feel like a man in drag. I don't do "girly", I'm not curvy, I have short hair, I don't wear much make-up.

HELP!

OneLittleLady Tue 07-May-13 14:10:49

could you do capri pants and a tie front shirt perhaps?

naturelover Tue 07-May-13 14:12:57

That was one idea I had, yes. I don't own capri pants however. Maybe I could borrow some. With ballerinas? And a headscarf?

Thanks

TrampyPants Tue 07-May-13 14:13:29

Do you have a pencil skirt and waist cincher belt?

Wave hair, neutral eye make up and red lippy!

naturelover Tue 07-May-13 14:15:45

I don't have a pencil skirt. Or a belt of any description.
My hair is too short to wave.
I have never worn red lipstick and quite frankly the thought terrifies me!

I am somewhat unadventurous with clothing and make-up as you might have guessed!

I do appreciate the suggestions though. This is outside my comfort zone but that's no bad thing. It might even be fun.

OneLittleLady Tue 07-May-13 14:21:11

Ballet flats, a scarf in hair and a skinny belt would be perfect accessories for the look. Capri pants are quite 'in' at the minute as well so if you can't borrow any, you should be able to pick some up cheaply. Failing that, a tight pair of skinnies rolled up above the ankle would be a good substitute. A cropped cardi would also work with it. It sounds like this look might suit your figure a bit more than a dress tbh

LulaPalooza Tue 07-May-13 14:21:55

Have you got another pair of trousers that you could take up/ in to turn them into capri pants? Shoes wise you could try rocking brogues or plimsolls with bobby socks. Gingham shirt tied at the waist or a twinset. Lots of black mascara and eyeliner and red lippy.

Have you tried a charity shop for things you can adapt?

MrsMcEnroe Tue 07-May-13 14:23:40

Hello, owner of vintage clothes shop here!

You can do a 50s look with a pair or 3/4 length black leggings instead of Capri pants, a vest or tight t-shirt, and a little cardigan. Tie a scarf around your neck, knotted at the side (try watching clips of the movie "Grease" on YouTube for inspiration).

If you want to wear a dress and don't like the full-skirted look, the other big 50s style was the wiggle dress. This type of thing https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1950s+wiggle+dress&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_P-IUYneB4KUOLT5gaAO&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

Or just whack on a black dress and say that you're paying homage to Audrey Hepburn ;)

MrsMcEnroe Tue 07-May-13 14:25:31

Sorry, here's that link properly. if you look for "wiggle dress" on ebay you will find loads of modern copies as well as original ones... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1950s+wiggle+dress&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=_P-IUYneB4KUOLT5gaAO&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=672

LulaPalooza Tue 07-May-13 15:17:55

Oooooh where's your shop, MrsMcEnroe?

CMOTDibbler Tue 07-May-13 15:20:43

What size are you? I've got a sz 14 50's dress you could borrow. It gave me curves, and I am similarly built

Gooseysgirl Tue 07-May-13 15:34:25

I second Mrs McEnroe... For my sisters hen I went as Sandy, my only real expense was a wig (which you wouldn't need). I wore 3/4 length black leggings, an old pair of red heels, cheap flashy belt from H&M, black top.. job done

Ashoething Tue 07-May-13 15:40:25

i love 50's style and wear it nearly every day.get skinny jeans,a 3/4 sleeve cardigan,skinny belt and bandana.you could get this stuff from primark or charity shop for pennies. yes where is your shop mrsmacenroe? i love vintage shopping!

BikeRunSki Tue 07-May-13 15:53:33

Have a look Tiger Milly for ideas.

MrsMcEnroe Tue 07-May-13 19:05:54

I did a 1950s fashion show last week so feel free to PM me! same thing if you'd like details of my shop - not allowed to advertise on here! (Although I think my location may be on my profile page ....)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now