Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Another wedding outfit thread - black tie....

(21 Posts)
ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 16:45:28

Invitation says black tie so easy for the men but what should I wear? Ceremony at 3pm in a synagogue, then posh reception endig at midnight. Advice required. It is in July btw.

MarsLady Fri 19-May-06 16:52:05

Ooh a nice long slinky dress I think. With a wrap for your shoulders for inside the synagogue. Do you need to wear a hat?

Oh course I'm no style guru darling... that's just what I would wear lol!

If you get lilac I have a gorgeous lilac hat you can borrow! LOL

gscrym Fri 19-May-06 16:54:16

If you go to the other wedding thread, there's a link to some of Debenhams dresses. They're various lengths.

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 16:54:37

Am tempted to try one of those tiny "clip on hats" iynwim. Yes or no?

crunchie Fri 19-May-06 16:54:42

Jewish weddings tend to be very glam and glitzy, so defineately Long slinky/sparkly even dress with wrap or shrug for shoulders. Not hats with Black tie, feathered hair peices perhaps. It is not suits and pearls, more sequins and frills More evening wear (not black)

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 17:00:18

like this .

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 17:31:46

What do you think of this dress .

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 18:01:39

Anyone?

peachyClair Fri 19-May-06 18:04:14

I usually wear one of those fascinator (crap name) doobies with the feather and bit on a comb, having short hair and a tiny head I find it more flattering.

A wrap is a good idea (my birthday is in July and I find it can be cloudy at the start... ALWAYS cloudy on the 8th for some bizarre, me-hating reason ) Accessorize always have a fab range.

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 18:05:43

or this .

peachyClair Fri 19-May-06 18:08:39

They're nice dresses.

madmarchhare Fri 19-May-06 18:09:24

Ooo, we had black tie and all the laydeez looked stunning. Definately go for it.

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 18:11:49

I am worried I might go to eveningy and stand out like a sore thumb.

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 19:16:38

Anyone else with any ideas or links to web sites for dresses? TIA

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 20:22:50

Don't want to come over as desperate, but really need input ladies.

mancmum Fri 19-May-06 20:44:04

I reckon this requires a personal shopper at John Lewis or somewhere better... I personally would go for an Amanda Wakely dress as they are top gorgeous...

lorina Fri 19-May-06 20:48:08

I prefer the pink halter neck dress.Gorgeous and looks younger than the sparkly brown one.It would look good with strappy metallic shoes.I think a wrap would go better than a shrug on that particular dress.Depends what your hair is like as to what hat is suitable.

MrsBadger Fri 19-May-06 20:55:29

right track so far - def w wrap or shawl for shoulders (and do you have to cover your head if you're a married woman? can never remember).

Not hat and prob not fascinator - too afternoon-weddingy and you need full on black tie.

Would normally advise Monsoon but am finding their stuff a bit hippy this season (excellent for wraps though).
Some v pretty things in Coast - bodice-type tops and silky skirts, dresses etc - basically outfits that are too dressy/sparkly/revealing to wear to a traditional afternoon wedding but aren't quite a ballgown.

Prom-type dress may fill the niche nicely if you're the right shape.

ComeOVeneer Fri 19-May-06 21:10:23

Oh I'm rather taken with the idea of a fascinator. Do you think it isn't suitable for a black tie do. In the past when I've been to black tie do's it is a uni ball or coporate function at dh's work so I know what to where but for a wedding I'm not sure.

MrsBadger Fri 19-May-06 21:31:47

think you'd get away with it if it was a silky / jewelled / feathery one rather than a straw-type one - it'd also be easy to whip off if you arrived and discovered it was wrong

stol Tue 23-May-06 20:02:48

Hi COV ,
Me and my DH have just (2 weeks ago) attended a Black tie wedding aand it was fab!
He wore the Normal Dinner Suit and looked liked a doorman (but so did all males at the wedding partie) i got an outfit from coast , black satin corset top with removable straps (wore it strapless) and a matching skirt that came below the knee with a split up the back , but not to high, I teamed it with a cream pahmina (SPL) from asscosirise which had a silver effect runnig throught it!
Black shoes and some dress jewlery from claires
Whole outfit coast about £150 but its something that is timeless so you can wear it again and again.

It looked really dressed up and the wrap made it more like a wedding!! Go and have a look in coast!! One of the best outfit ever!!

Good Luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: