Talk

Advanced search

Please help with my Spring/Summer wardrobe!

(7 Posts)
DTisMYdoctor Tue 07-May-13 13:19:52

I hate this time of year because I find it really hard to find clothes that suit me and don't make me look twice my size. After a clearout last year though, I desperately need some new clothes for work and for an upcoming holiday abroad. All suggestions/links most appreciated.

I'm 5' 5" (with short legs) and a size 14. So a bit overweight obviously, which I'm trying to do something about, but I need some new clothes now unfortunately. My problems are that I'm not very toned and that I have very chunky thight and calfs. I'm pretty pear shaped and curvy. I prefer clothes that have a bit more structure - loose fitting, floaty things tend to make me look huge and/or pregnant.

I don't particularly like getting my legs out. I wear a lot of knee length skirts and dresses in the autumn/winter with dark tights. Apart from their size, I do have a few blemishes on my pasty white legs that I'm quite self-conscious about.

Can anyone suggest any outfits? Not got a budget as such, but not looking for any really really expensive. For work I need to be smart, but I don't need to wear a suit or anything. Only going away for a week in the summer (should be quite warn), so don't need tons of summer clothes - but a few well chosen key pieces would be helpful.

TIA.

CambridgeBlue Tue 07-May-13 13:32:08

I'm a similar shape and size to you but a bit shorter. I also hate my legs!

Things I wear that I find both comfy and flattering include jersey maxi skirts, rolled up cotton chinos, loose jersey trousers (I guess you would call them harems but NOT the really baggy full nappy/MC Hammer type) and if it's really hot longer shorts (denim or cotton).

A decent fake tan is a big help if I do get my legs out - I use one of the spray ones (think it's L'Oreal Dry something) and it gives just enough colour to stop my legs dazzling people but not so much that I look like Peter Andre's older sister smile. I like really bright nail varnish too (your feet have to be immaculate though) as it detracts attention from my uglier bits.

DTisMYdoctor Tue 07-May-13 13:48:13

Thanks CambridgeBlue. I'm not too keen on jersey bottoms but I'd quite like some rolled up chinos for casual/holiday wear if I can find some that are a flattering shape on me. When I've tried them in the past they've either been too baggy and emphasised my width or too tight on the calf. Shorts are a no no for me!

I might book a pedicure before my hols though!

DTisMYdoctor Tue 07-May-13 21:24:22

Bump for the stylish evening crowd? grin

landofsoapandglory Tue 07-May-13 21:39:08

Tesco had some lovely stretch chinos in yesterday. They were £14 and had navy, stone and pale blue.

I like floral, knee length, flippy skirts for the Summer, but there doesn't seem to be any about at the moment!

applecrumbleandcream Tue 07-May-13 23:44:54

I saw a lovely navy and White stripy blazer in Next which I'm planning to buy. Would look lovely over a navy maxi dress.

DTisMYdoctor Thu 09-May-13 13:43:41

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll have a look out for those. Have found a couple of dresses online to try, but still on the search for trousers (both casual for holidays and smart for work).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now