Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Leggings size 20 for under longish dress /knee length skirt - bad or good idea ?

(10 Posts)
revolvenotevolve Tue 07-May-13 10:15:32

Will they just draw attention to my tree trunk legs /possible cankles? Should I avoid black and get nude ish ones? Calf length or longer?
Would tights be better ??

Iseeall Tue 07-May-13 11:03:18

What age are you and what style/type of look are you going for?
Why do you want legging under dresses or skirts, is it to stop chaffing?
If it is to stop chaffing you can buy shorties in evens to wear. Also rubbing deoderant all over your inner thighs works.

revolvenotevolve Tue 07-May-13 11:51:08

Im 32 - don't need them for chafing as don't have that issue - more because my legs are quite chunky and Im not prepared to inflict them on others yet! Plus I have a floaty ish skirt which would no doubt fly up to my waist in the slightest breeze.
I am going for a boho look I think!

polyhymnia Tue 07-May-13 12:18:27

Can you say what you mean by long - ie knee length, shorter, longer?

LadyintheRadiator Tue 07-May-13 12:22:54

No to nude. Hideous on anyone, any age, any size.

Leggings under dresses/skirts seems to divide Mumsnet, but I wear them because I don't really like my legs. If it makes you feel more comfortable and confident then go for it. I'm wearing a v short flippy skirt today with a vest and leggings. I couldn't wear this skirt otherwise, even if I was happy with my legs, I spend my day chasing a 2 year old around the sandpit/helping her on the climbing frame etc so it is a matter of practicality too for me.

Iseeall Tue 07-May-13 12:27:44

The calf length leggings would look better with a skirt, especially if you want to wear sandals. They would stop under your calf at the slimmest part of your leg and have a gap before your sandals/flipflops
With a closed in shoe flesh toned tights can look amazing, some are so fine and delicate, m&s do loads.

I feel more comfortable in leggings when I wear dresses or skirts. I do chafe though (and did even when I was a lot thinner, it's just the shape of my legs) I'd avoid nude ones, I can't imagine they'd be flattering at all.

IvanaCake Tue 07-May-13 13:32:20

Definitely no nude.

I'm size 20 and wear leggings under dresses. When the weather gets warmer I switch to 3/4 length leggings.

I only feel comfortable with bare legs when they're very tanned!

OneLittleLady Tue 07-May-13 14:09:24

leggings are fine as long as you avoid the nude ones. They make you look like you forgot to get dressed properly and its not about size, they look equally hideous on any size. I wear black or grey leggings with most things as I find them comfortable and they stop my thighs rubbing when its hot. I do wear nude tights though if I'm wearing closed toe shoes as I like the look of bare legs without actually baring them.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 07-May-13 15:27:03

I also wear leggings under skirts, because like LadyintheRadiator, I have a 2yo to chase and lift and I don't like the look of flashing my underwear while kneeling down or climbing up a frame.

What colour leggings surely depends on the dress isn't it? If it's patterned or flowery, I would wear single coloured leggings. Though I found black a bit too dark for summer. How about red, pink, green, blue or yellow? If it's a single coloured dress, you could team it with patterned leggings. I also use jeggings as I like the denim look.

However, I don't wear knee length or longer skirts. They tend be just over my bum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now