Talk

Advanced search

I'm 49 and need a dress for a birthday party and a wedding

(12 Posts)
MrsPresley Sun 05-May-13 20:05:50

Can I have your opinions on these dresses please smile

As title says I'm 49, I'm 5'6 a size 16/18 have smallish boobs (for my size) and a big tummy/bum sad, not got a lot going for me have I? grin

Anyway, I don't really wear dresses but I have my DD's 30th birthday party coming up, then a works night out the following night (although I might just stick to trousers and top for that) then a wedding the following week.

Ideally I'd like a dress that I can wear to the party and wedding, so anyway, here are the dresses I was looking at, what do you think? and could you maybe suggest anything else

Not sure, but I do like it

Too boring for a wedding?

too clingy on the tummy area?

Really love the colour

LynetteScavo Sun 05-May-13 20:10:13

I like the third one so much I think I might buy it for myself.

TheChaoGoesMu Sun 05-May-13 20:12:48

I love the third one too. Can you get some really decent underwear to flatten out your tummy?

neverlateforwork Sun 05-May-13 20:17:36

I have friends that swear once you get past 35 you should only wear v necklines, as it's the most flattering way the eyes can be drawn to accentuate a more mature figure...

I do like no.3 though. I like no.1 but it might say 'trying too hard', depending on what sort of personality you have. No. 2 I'd wear to an evening party, but not a wedding. No. 4 is nice, but I'd have to break up that colour a bit. It's too much for me!

MrsPresley Sun 05-May-13 20:18:33

Thank you.

I must admit I quite like them all, but going to take No 2 out of it as I definitely wouldn't wear it again except to maybe a funeral. I could order the other 3 and see what I like when they get here.

New underwear sounds a good idea too, control pants maybe? As long as they won't be too uncomfortable to wear, the wedding is at the beginning of June, so hoping it will nice and warm.

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 20:34:44

the fourth one is fab, very chic indeed.

MrsPresley Sun 05-May-13 20:47:08

Just had another look at No 4 and spotted the video for it, unfortunately it's very short, far too short for me sad

Shame because I have nice black sandals a black short sleeve cardigan which would have looked good (I think).

Never mind, down to 2 now!

ArcticRoll Sun 05-May-13 20:50:27

I don't like the first one at all -think the third one is the nicest.

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 21:43:47

how's about this
similar shade to dress 4
maybe?
similar to 2 but less somber
love this print and the cut looks great
possibly? Similar but bright

soaccidentprone Sun 05-May-13 21:53:05

this

or this?

MrsPresley Sun 05-May-13 22:26:19

Oh thank you ladies. great choices!

MrsLettuce, I really love the 5th one you linked to and also the 4th one, I already have a dress in a similar style (in fact the only dress I own grin ) which I was going to wear to the wedding but I must have spilt something on it and it's stained sad.

Soaccidentprone I like the 2nd one you linked, I think I'm going to enjoy finding a dress now grin

Murraylover Fri 10-May-13 22:11:08

www.damselinadress.co.uk/shop/dresses/occasion-dresses/paris-lace-dress-navy.aspx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now