Talk

Advanced search

I'm over 40, do I need better products? Are more spendy products necessarily better?

(13 Posts)
IDoTakeTwo Sun 05-May-13 12:38:09

As part of my use up the stuff in the cupboards before buying any more campaign, I have realised I have started spending more on general maintenance.

Not £100 pots of cream sort of spendy, but probably moved from cheapy to mid range. Plus a few imports and holiday buys.

I think they seem better, but is it just finding the right product, or are they actually better? You know, like the first £5 spent on wine going on the bottle and tax, and the remainder actually paying for wine?

Or am I going to become more expensive until I dry up and die?

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sun 05-May-13 12:49:30

I don't actually know - I've moved to more elaborate/expensive skincare now I'm in my thirties and use products with less damaging ingredients by brands like SoPhyto and Oskia.

I really enjoy using them but my skin is not my best feature, it's glowy but textured (I smoke! My own fault).

I do find keeping properly hydrated and eating well makes a huge difference.

What sort of products were you looking at?

IDoTakeTwo Sun 05-May-13 12:52:18

Everything really, from nail polish, to hair driers, to skin care. But I've noticed I've done it with clothing too. I used to love a bargain, but now hate anything that feels cheap.

Not sure if age, snobbery or just changing tastes.

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sun 05-May-13 12:56:07

Snap, I've changed with clothes too! I used to buy loads of synthetic disposable clothes but tend to get cashmere etc (off ebay mainly, so not too 'spensive). Don't dye or blowdry my hair anymore.

Still buy cheap mascara and nail polish. smile

IDoTakeTwo Sun 05-May-13 13:03:59

I realised when I was buying imported toothpaste that I was getting a little higher maintenance!

IDoTakeTwo Sun 05-May-13 13:04:48

But I do now blodry rather than go au naturel!

Mintyy Sun 05-May-13 13:09:45

I think it is worth spending money on moisturiser (having said that I only use Body Shop aloe vera moisturiser because that's all my skin will tolerate, and a bit of Roc under eye cream), foundation, hand cream and body moisturiser and possibly hair products if you do a lot with your hair. Everything else I buy from the supermarket and mid price ranges. Honestly, how much difference can there be between a Chanel nail polish and a Rimmel one?

IDoTakeTwo Sun 05-May-13 13:11:42

Dh actually bought two Chanel polishes as a gift and I can't see a real quality difference. But really good top and base coat does. So perhaps that's it. The colours were divine, but easily knocked off by cheaper brands

SplatPancake Sun 05-May-13 13:19:31

Have a look through some of the Q&As on www.beautymouth.com, lots of advice there x

Ponderosa Sun 05-May-13 13:30:48

I've just up-branded my face wash to Vichy, which is £11 for 125ml so about 2-3 times the price of Olay/Nivea etc. It is thick and creamy and makes my skin feel lovely. I think it will last longer than a cheaper one because you don't need as much so it's definitely worth the money.

I think it is deffo worth spending more on clothes as you get older, although I must admit that one of the items I get the most positive comments on is a £6.99 H&M dress which I stole from dd1!

In terms of skincare, I have recently downgraded from Clarins and Origins stuff to the Superdrug and Boots Vitamin E ranges, which cost just pennies. I must admit that the Superdrug Oil appears to be doing more good to my skin than any other product I've ever used - I think it was £2.99.

IDoTakeTwo Sun 05-May-13 13:49:23

It does sometimes just seem to be what suits doesn't it? I used dermalogica for a while, then it stopped suiting!

FrugalFashionista Sun 05-May-13 20:38:44

Clothing - mid-range and expensive generally much better raw materials and workmanship than rock-bottom cheap (but older high-end clothes from charity and consignment usually much better quality than high-end clothes manufactured right now)
Make-up - many budget brands just as good as the highest end - you'll just get nicer packaging and a more perfumed product by paying more
Skincare - have been very unimpressed with high end, for my skin midrange parapharmacie products give the best results - and Aldi of course worth considering too wink
Perfume - you won't find good natural raw materials in the cheapest products; for me, expensive niche perfumes are often worth their higher up-front prices - the quality difference is discernible and I'm also willing to pay for originality. Some masculine classics are both cheap and very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now