Talk

Advanced search

Flower girl dress help!!!

(30 Posts)
Songbird Sat 04-May-13 22:54:58

Hi chums. My niece is getting married in a month and she's asked dd to be a flower girl, along with her other little cousin. Both girls are 8. As she's doing uni exams and has quite enough on her plate (just found out she's preggo hence wedding) I'm in charge of finding a dress for the littluns.
[[ http://www.bridalgownsuk.co.uk/pd_4545.html This]] is the bride's dress in white (ahem).
[[ http://m.missselfridge.com/mt/www.missselfridge.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=81&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33055&storeId=12554&productId=9194643&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208036&parent_categoryId=208035&pageSize=40 This]] is the dress the three big bridesmaids are having, colour is described as 'nude'.
OK, so dresses I like so far for the flower girls are:
[[ http://www.bhs.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=34096&storeId=13077&productId=5256662&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=471147&parent_categoryId=471109&pageSize=40&refinements=category~[471554|471147]&noOfRefinements=1 This]] but I'm not mad keen on white, although it wouldn't clash with anything.
[[ http://m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3,mon_3.3.1/4504503223 This]] but might the colour be not quite right? It doesn't look very gold in the picture but who knows?
[[ http://m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_4,mon_4.8/3585022628 This]] ditto on the 'gold' thing, though there's less colour on it. I think this probably goes best with big bridesmaid dress but I'm not wild about it for some reason. not wild about big dress actually but they're non-negotiable!
[[ http://m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3,mon_3.3.1/4502041128 This]] is very sweet but pale pink? Too different?
Gaaaaah!!!

If you're still with me, thank you! If you can help me, I'll be your best friend....

Songbird Sat 04-May-13 22:55:31

Shiiiiiiiiit, none of those links work!!

Startail Sat 04-May-13 22:58:23

Have you got a kindle fire? You have [[<space> wwww. Syndrome

My stupid fire does that, it thinks punctuation needs to be followed by a space

Songbird Sat 04-May-13 23:00:16

It's a nexus, but looks like it's done that. I'll try again. Thanks x

Songbird Sat 04-May-13 23:02:59

Crappo I can't select the text on this fucking thing to copy it. I could cry, that took me ages!

MrsLettuce Sat 04-May-13 23:06:14

Here:

This is the bride's dress in white (ahem).
This is the dress the three big bridesmaids are having, colour is described as 'nude'.
K, so dresses I like so far for the flower girls are:
This but I'm not mad keen on white, although it wouldn't clash with anything.
This but might the colour be not quite right? It doesn't look very gold in the picture but who knows?
[[ http://m-uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_4,mon_4.8/3585022628 This]] ditto on the 'gold' thing, though there's less colour on it. I think this probably goes best with big bridesmaid dress but I'm not wild about it for some reason. not wild about big dress actually but they're non-negotiable!
This is very sweet but pale pink? Too different?

MrsLettuce Sat 04-May-13 23:07:55

This ditto on the 'gold' thing, though there's less colour on it. I think this probably goes best with big bridesmaid dress but I'm not wild about it for some reason. not wild about big dress actually but they're non-negotiable!

Startail Sat 04-May-13 23:10:55

Oh bridesmaid dresses, BHS are cheap, cheerful and do fine, but take some safety pins the flower fell of DDs. Simple full length very adult ball dress style, they don't seem to still have. She was 11 so not frilly white flower girl material.

The adults short v necked one looked lovey, it fitted and suited the brides sister perfectly.

MrsLettuce Sat 04-May-13 23:19:31

I don't like this much but it matches the other bridesmaids dresses well. this is nicer but maybe too pale

Are the older bridesmaids dresses seriously non-negotiable? They're awful, IMHO.

Startail Sat 04-May-13 23:24:13

I like the last link, the estelle sparkle best.

Brides dress is lovely, big bridesmaids depend on colouring of bridesmaids. I'd be afraid of looking a bit washed out.

Anyway congratulations to your niece, I got married in my second year at uni and was planning making hair decorations when I should have been revising. Not PG just when DH finished his course and we could live together full time not just at weekends.

MrsLettuce Sat 04-May-13 23:28:07

I actually quite like the colour of the big bridesmaids dresses but the cut is, erm, interesting. It'll date very, very quickly and make her embarrassed by her photos in years to come. I love your sister's dress but unfortunately they don't compliment it at all.

MrsLettuce Sat 04-May-13 23:28:40

niece, sorry blush

Songbird Sat 04-May-13 23:43:15

I know!! I think they're all dark haired, certainly two of them are. I was a bit 'oh' when she showed it to me. Have only seen that picture. Two of them are size 8 and the other a 10 (fat heifer hmm wink ) so they'll probably look all gorgeous and boho-y. But YES it doesn't match her fabulous glam frock at all does it? Weird.

I think the Estelle as well.

Thanks all xxx

MrsLettuce Sat 04-May-13 23:59:19

This looks to be a pretty good match if you don't like the M&S ones

The monsoon Estella Sparkle dress could work really well if the big bridesmaids could be convinced to wear some sort of white flower in their hair and white shoes, or some such.

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 00:00:06

The butterfly dress is horrid but it really does seem to match confused

Songbird Sun 05-May-13 00:00:17

Oh and mrslettuce thank you so much for sorting out my links! I've also been messaging my niece and forgot to thank you earlier x

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 00:06:28

Ah, OK, then for the love of god show her this and this. The dresses she has chosen are beyond awful!

Songbird Sun 05-May-13 00:09:58

ooh no don't like the witchy thing at all, soz.

gingerroots Sun 05-May-13 00:10:03

We had this for our flowergirls aged 7.was v nice we just had to tack the pleats on the waistband down www.next.co.uk/x511412s1

Songbird Sun 05-May-13 00:12:30

Love those mango dresses, but it's a done deal I'm afraid. Bizarre choice, looks like cheap fabric. I wonder if they've tried it on and it looks better on. Bloody hope so. I sent my mum the link and her silence is speaking volumes grin

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 00:13:08

yy, the witch thing is awful but it is a DC equivalent of the RI dress

Songbird Sun 05-May-13 00:13:19

ooh yes forgot about next. That's sweet.

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 00:14:55

Ho hum. Their's nowt queerer than folk.

Startail Sun 05-May-13 00:25:18

Trouble is a willowy student may look very good in that bridesmaids dress or totally awful. It depends exactly where the top hangs and how much the skit sticks out on the hips.

In the picture the top looks a touch short, if they have small boobs and narrow hips they may get away with it.

MrsLettuce Sun 05-May-13 00:26:47

SO, she want's bo-ho. How about this or this for the wee ones?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now