Talk

Advanced search

Best place to shop for clothes for a 10 year old girl

(11 Posts)
teacherwith2kids Sat 04-May-13 18:15:19

I am a 'shop twice a year, once for the summer, once for the winter' type parent - definitely a functional shooper, both for children and for myself. DD, up until now, has loved shopping, and so we have reached a compromise of a 'big shop day', where she and I go to a few shops where she tries on anything that catches her fancy, parades around the changing rooms for ages and ages, and we emerge with enough clothes for the season.

Problem is that this year we cannot find anywhere to go for the 'warmer weather' shop - have browsed through assorted shop websites and NOTHING has caught our eye.

DD is a tall 10 year old - does ballet, so slim, but tall so in 11, perhaps 12, year old sizes. For summer, we were thinking along the lines of genuinely colourful tops - perhaps print, perhaps plain - some knee-length shorts, and maybe a dress.

Everything is either grey, or pink, or very very short, or sparkly (a no-no for her this year), or pastel, or logoed. She just wants some genuine colour and brightness, without little-girl pretty prettiness.

Looked at H&M, Next, M&S, Debenhams, even in desperation at Boden [out of our price league, really]. We have previously had success at Sainsbury's, but that lacks the ritual changing room experience. We live in a good town for shops, so....any suggestions???

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 18:15:59

Zara?

orangeandemons Sat 04-May-13 18:16:37

Lands End...

GraduallyGoingInsane Sat 04-May-13 18:21:43

Zara is good, I tend to like H&M for the DDs and in my town there seems to be more in store than online? Primark can be successful for us too. Our George at Asda has changing rooms, but the clothes are a bit hit or miss.

If you're feeling flush and also very brave, Hollister is chock full of bright clothes. DD4 just got some very bright shorts, a lovely long top and a pretty dress in there. My wallet took a pasting though!

Sickandsad Sat 04-May-13 18:53:01

Gap and Zara are both liked by my 10 year old DD at the moment, she is also very tall for her age and is wearing age 12-13 in most stores. Primark is also OK for basics like leggings etc.

dancemom Sat 04-May-13 18:54:58

Some lovely items in River Island for that age range also

WhereMyMilk Sat 04-May-13 19:00:15

Gap
Zara
John Lewis

teacherwith2kids Sat 04-May-13 21:32:49

Thanks all! Interesting to know that H&M often have more in-store. It's easy to access for us so we'll pop in and take a quick look.

Gap wasn't really on my radar (I was brought up by a mother who made all my clothes, until I took over in desperation and started making them instead, so I'm hopeless at this clothes business) so thank you - looks like a good starting point online, with a wide range of shorts in bright colours and different lengths, and some fun tops. I would also never have had John Lewis down as the place to buy eye-poppingly bright dresses, so I learn things every day!

We don't have a Zara anywhere nearby, so I'll save that idea for another time... thanks again!

androbbob Sat 04-May-13 21:47:02

I have started buying adult clothes for DD - sometimes a size 6 and sometimes a size 8. Asda, Tesco, Primark, Matalan and the like as they are not too expensive. She sounds like a similar build - slim but getting curvy - she is 5 ft 1" so petite trousers fit her fine. Costs me a bit more now though.

H&M and New Look also have teen girl ranges which are good value and not all pink and girly.

teacherwith2kids Sat 04-May-13 21:52:26

Androbbob - exactly. She is getting slightly curvy (she has always gone 'in and out' rather than being a pipecleaner-thin ballet girl - slim waist, slim legs but with hips) and is very conscious of this - 7 hours a week in a leotard probably doesn't help. She wants clothes that don't call attention to the fact that she's changing shape while still being fun and colourful.

Still18atheart Sat 04-May-13 21:55:37

New Look
Does Tammy Girl / Etam still exist?
H & M

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now