Talk

Advanced search

Can you help me look fabulous?

(33 Posts)
DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 14:53:53

It's a tall order...

I have a family lunch to attend at the beginning of July and just want to look nice for a change. That sort of polished, finished look. Nothing fancy, just effortlessly chic I suppose (I know, a lot of effort needs to go in!)

I usually look just wrong and bedraggled and am really fed up. I am 5' 5, size 10 but have terrible knees! Oh and I am (whispers) 40.

Anyone up for the challenge? (hopeful)

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 14:56:00

Meeeeeee!

let's talk hair - what's it like now - and budget

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sat 04-May-13 14:58:07

Much, much more info needed!

Time is on your side, a two edged prong of lifestyle changes and outfit would work wonders!

What sort of look are you after?

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 14:58:15

Oh! A response!

I have a long highlighted bob but have a hair appointment the day before.

My budget would be about £100 I think for everything (except hair).

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 14:59:07

Would like to channel Audrey Hepburn (but obviously am not petite!)

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:00:41

OK. How's your makeup collection and skincare routine and are you generally happy with it? If you're after polished I think hair, skin and make up key actually. And shoes, but we'll get to that grin grin

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:01:29

so, classic chic? do you prefer skirts / dresses (fear not about knees, midi is everywhere at the mo) or trousers?

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sat 04-May-13 15:02:01

You sound petite - do you already have the outfit that you'd like to wear? Or do you need to buy something new?

How is your exercise regime and diet?

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:02:22

and where do you usually shop?

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sat 04-May-13 15:04:40

can we ask you any more questions??

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:05:01

confused grin grin

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 15:05:09

Quite a good make up collection - have a bit of everything. My skin is not too bad, I have a very minimum routine but it seems to work, no obvious problem areas. Hair can be my let down, prone to frizz, but the hairdresser can solve that!

Excited for the shoes grin

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 15:10:23

Argh cross posts!

OK, bring on the questions!

Rooty, love dresses but am generally a bit nrevous of wearing them (see knee problem above). Shop in a mixture of places but at the mo have stuff from fat face, bode, Oasis, Warehouse.

Confused, would love a new outfit. No real exercise regime but I do walk a lot. Currently doing intermittent fasting so will hopefully be closer to a size 8 (pre baby size) by June.

Any more? grin

currentlyconfuseddotcom Sat 04-May-13 15:15:04

Walking is good, very good.

Ok just think of it in segments and put up a plan: so you have hair sorted, I think you seem to be happy with makeup, you know da score regarding diet (just up herbal tea intake and eat more healthily and it will soon reflect bodily), but I'm not sure what you plan to do regarding outfit?? Can you go and try everything on in your wardrobe to see if you already have the sort of look you're after?

There we are my child, I have blessed you with two new questions gracious

monkeytennismum Sat 04-May-13 15:22:11

Sounds like you have the perfect proportions for cigarette pants and tailored top to look groomed. I saw Gok 'do' someone like this on his show a few months back - look up his pages on the C4 website. You could either go monochrome clothes and bright bright shoes, or bright trousers and plainer top & shoes.

TSSDNCOP Sat 04-May-13 15:24:05

jeans

shoes

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:26:29

Right, am going to abandon questions for some general opinions theories of polishedness grin grin

Grooming is key imo, unless you're 22, so get the hairdresser to give you a nice smooth blowdry with movement and volume (no straightening, which tends to be unflattering and dated)

Skin - well moisturised and exfoliated, no fake tan (cf straightening! also dated and aging)

Make up - I like a fairly nude face with a nice strong lip, depending on outfit. The no make up look is (you guessed it) dated grin

Clothes - clean lines and I think a flat shoe is v modern. You are slim and my preference would be for a loose fit - but that is not v Audrey Hepburn. Go to stores are Whistles, COS, Zara, and &OtherStories with the occasional H&M genius find thrown in. Whistles prob out of your budget but you might find something you love and decide fuck it it's worth it.

I would start by having a squiz at online lookbooks and posting links to anything you see you like, as a start.

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 15:30:12

I have this which was what I was originally going to wear, but it just feels to casual.

I like the idea of cigarette pants but have been trying them with floaty style tops, perhaps a structured top would be better. I'm not keen on sleeveless, just a bit arm conscious!

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 15:34:52

I like the top TSS but I am very pale (forgot to say!)

Have just bought these shoes. M & S I know but they are so cute on! I do think flats may be the way to go though, so may return them. I need to be able to control the DSs...

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 15:36:38

I love Zara, have just bought a long sleeve floaty shirt from there, but find the cut can be hit and miss...

inneedofrain Sat 04-May-13 15:37:47

Ok, Rootypig has some good advice

I think the key to looking well put together it to acentuate the positive and hide the negavtive.

Ie I am pretty much a bang on hour glass but also a size 14 to 18 depending on the store, I have big boobs and I am tall which I hate. So all in I feel like a giant!

So this is what I wear

Iwear V cut tops (big boobs)
50 style dresses (small waist), then I would put a belt over (again pulls attention to the waist)
I wear heals, hell I am tall I may as well go with it! makes my legs look better!
I have bad thighs but pretty good calfs so I end everything skirt / dress at knee or a tiny bit below to show of that thinner bit at the top of my calfs.
I wear cardies / jackets / boleros cause I have ginormas arms and bingo wings!

So what are your best bits? and which bits do you hate (knees we know)

Any particularly colours? I look good in dark colours and like a splash of something brighter but I look like death warmed up in Grey, Creams etc!

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:37:49

I would think about fabrics a bit OP - the shops I listed are all heros for the substance and structure of the fabrics they use. Decent fabric = more polish, more interesting cuts, more flattering.

And yes, floaty and fussy is the enemy!

rootypig Sat 04-May-13 15:38:49

*heroes!

DustyMoth Sat 04-May-13 15:55:52

I like your style, inneed, I don't have much of a waist but boobs are ok (bigger now, thanks to DCs!). I tend to look a bit large in the hips with 50s style dresses, as much as I love the look on other people.

I'm not sure on clolour, I love blush and creams but tend to look washed out. Navy is a good colour on me but boring. I get a lot of compliments when I wear bright pinks!

Thanks rooty, good advice, will take a look.

FrugalFashionista Sat 04-May-13 16:02:22

You are getting a lot of sound advice OP.
I wear cigarette pants a lot, am 40, one of the keys of looking polished is to avoid tricot/ t shirt materials in your tops. Unless thick and absolutely top notch raw material, they can be clingy (=every bulge on display) and too-casual in an unflattering way. So look for woven materials and some structure in your tops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now