Talk

Advanced search

Foundation - Fingers or Brush?

(24 Posts)
HaveAGoodDay Fri 03-May-13 21:19:43

I have always used my fingers to apply my foundation. However I've heard that using a brush can work just as well, if not give better results for a more flawless finish. What's everyone else use/think?

ilovepowerhoop Fri 03-May-13 21:20:37

I use my fingers too

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 03-May-13 21:22:55

Always used fingers, tried a brush for a while, but reverted back to fingers. The warmth from the skin seems to help.

OneLittleLady Fri 03-May-13 21:23:27

I use my fingers. I find my foundation is too heavy if I use a brush

twentythirteen Fri 03-May-13 22:06:20

I use a brush, started about a year ago. Make up goes on more evenly and goes farther. I then use a sponge to blend.

ggirl Fri 03-May-13 22:10:57

I use a stipple brush , have tried a normal foundation brush and it looked too heavy but with stipple looks completely natural .
I got mac one from ebay

Lozislovely Fri 03-May-13 22:35:03

Stipple brush here too! Used to use fingers but get a much better finish with the brush. I tend to pat it on with the brush on my cheeks, nose and upper lip and swirl on forehead, jaw line and chin. Find it gives a more airbrushed look.

chocolatespiders Fri 03-May-13 22:36:22

I use my fingers. DD was using a brush but it looked stripy so is now using fingers.

freddiefrog Fri 03-May-13 23:55:28

Fingers

I've tried with a brush, but fingers still win

MacaYoniAndCheese Sat 04-May-13 00:01:21

Sponge wedges. Although I'm pretty sure it sucks up most of the foundation...

pepperminty Sat 04-May-13 07:41:08

This is a great foundation brush on Amazon (and I can't believe the price it's sold at)

amazon.co.uk/dp/B001KWD6O4

I think brushes blend in the foundation much better than fingers or sponges, resulting in a more even and longer-lasting look. Also, along the jaw line, you can blend so well so it looks more natural (no line)

That brush on Amazon is a good low-risk way to try out what you think of using a foundation brush

WileyRoadRunner Sat 04-May-13 08:45:36

I use the Real Techniques stippling brush, gives a nice natural finish.

I also have the Beauty Blender sponge which I quite like but it doesn't seem to work very well with Estée Lauder DW so I only use this when wearing Clinique.

jalopy Sat 04-May-13 08:52:35

I do a combination of both. I apply with my fingers so I have better control of the amount but buff at the end for better finish. I use the Real Techniques stipple brush to do this.

Iwantmybed Sat 04-May-13 08:56:13

Brush, it is much more even.

Nehru Sat 04-May-13 08:56:18

brush
BB one bought off ebay

Nehru Sat 04-May-13 08:56:26

its a creme one though

ItsintheBag Sat 04-May-13 10:21:48

I have a brush,I have yet to get it on properly with the brush without using double the amount of foundation.
For me fingers.

ellajayne Sat 04-May-13 10:27:27

I use Real Techniques Expert Face Brush to buff it in. Flawless application every time.

CalmingLava Sat 04-May-13 10:37:00

Definitely fingers. I've used a variety of brushes and always find its too heavy. I also end up all stripy.

inneedofrain Sat 04-May-13 10:49:00

Ok, it depends on which brush!

If you have large poors you want to disguise then a round stipiling brush works well, in a wax on wax of fashion as it forces the foundation into the pours

A foundation brush like that looks like a paint brush should be used in downward strokes (settles the fine hairs down) but them MUST be patted over the skin using the flat side of the brush to distribute the lines that can be caused

If using a flat foundation brush then you are better off using it to apply your moisturiser first as this helps the brush be give a better finish

DAMP sponge has great results when used as above.

I have not used my fingers for years, but you are always best using a techinque you like and works for you!

Check out Gossmakeupartist or pixiwoo on Youtube. From memory I think Goss goes through each and every application method for foundation.

I use a foundation brush by laura mercia which is fab, mac do a good one too. Real techiques have a good stipiling brush which is more afordable

Bertrude Sat 04-May-13 10:57:36

I use the same mac one that ggirl posted. Otherwise i end up with foundation everywhere

ggirl Sat 04-May-13 10:59:00

mac stipple brush i linked to is much nicer than the real technique one
i have both

NomDeClavier Sat 04-May-13 11:00:18

Brush but not just in large stokes like I'm painting a canvas! That way you do end up with streaks and lines.

HaveAGoodDay Sat 04-May-13 11:36:26

May have to try a brush, although its probably not related to my foundation problem - just noticing recently that when I've applied my foundation it looks flakey on my forehead & my fine hairs on my face are becoming more visable - as are the flipping laughter lines, not funny! I also think I need to go a shade lighter with my foundation. In using Loreal infallible & it's always worked so well for me up to now so don't know why all of a sudden I seem to be having problems with it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now