Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Bra sizing (M&S) - is it any good - is it accurate?

(19 Posts)
JonesTheSteam Thu 18-May-06 17:49:56

The last (and actually only) time I had my boobs measured was when I was pg with DD.

They measured me as a 38A and yet I ended up coming home with bras that were a 38 or 36 D? I ended up with two old biddies discussing me as if I wasn't there - along the lines of 'isn't it odd?' and 'she's not measuring up as that' etc. They annoyed me because they talked about me as if I wasn't there and then their measurements were completely wrong.

Anyway have decided that I'm wearing completely the wrong size. Am currently a 34B. My bras tend to ride up at the back and with some of them my boobs tend to spill over (I get the dreaded Trinny & Susannah 4 boob thing going on !!!!) When I measure myself I am actually just a 36, but then my boobs don't even register a cup size! (and they haven't shrunk or grown considerably since I had the kids!).

So does anyone have a positive experience? Is it possible that my boobs are just weird? Has anyone had their boobs measured and completely disagreed with the size they were told?

TIA

nickiey Thu 18-May-06 17:58:04

ime all retail outlets are rubbish, one day i went to debenhams, M&S and La Senza who all measured me differently-in the end I made the very real effort of dragging myself uptp rigby and pellar in London (next door to harrods) and speanding a fortune on bras (about £200) but I came home with the most comfy and supportive bras I have ever owned that wash brilliantly dont loose their hold-I can even come downstairs now without getting blackeyes! They dont measure you there, just look at your boobs and back and then come back with a handful of bras that match your size needs as well as style needs.

Twiglett Thu 18-May-06 17:59:26

Rigby and peller .. yes

TheLadyVanishes Thu 18-May-06 17:59:49

I've always had my bra fittings there and I think they are really good, got my maternity bra's and beyond from M&S. You should be measured regularly especially when pregnant and afterwards, when you say since having dd how long ago was that

JonesTheSteam Thu 18-May-06 18:01:17

5 years ago.

They annoyed me so much though I couldn't face the thought of going back!!!!

Twiglett Thu 18-May-06 18:01:30

although R&P sizing doesn't seem to work with M&S bras

JonesTheSteam Thu 18-May-06 18:01:46

And they obviously were no good where I went as they measure me completely differently to what I ended up with!

beckybrastraps Thu 18-May-06 18:03:41

Measuring doesn't really work. You have to try on bras and see which ones fit best. Different makes come up differently IME.

JonesTheSteam Thu 18-May-06 18:04:14

If your bra rides up at the back is the size too small or too big?

beckybrastraps Thu 18-May-06 18:04:43

Back size too big.

JonesTheSteam Thu 18-May-06 18:07:44

There is no way I'm a 32 though!!!!!

beckybrastraps Thu 18-May-06 18:12:48

You'd be surprised! I have huge breasts, but a middling back size. For ages I wore a big back size because that's what the idiots in M&S told me. Then I went into a Bravissimo shop, and came out transormed! If it's riding up your back, it's too big. Try perhaps one back size down and one cup size up?

beckybrastraps Thu 18-May-06 18:13:20

transformed

DumbledoresGirl Thu 18-May-06 18:27:38

I have been frequently measured by M&S. They always measure me as rather small around and I don't like to be that tight so I go down a cup size and up a bust measurement.

But that said, you then have to try on the bras, as different bras, even though they are all M&S ones, fit differently. I have often ended up taking home 2 bras of different sizes, and that is with the staff advising me.

CMac Thu 18-May-06 18:27:53

Agree with BBS - I went to a wee independent shop wearing a 36B (size i'd been wearing for years) and came out with a 32DD!! Never been so comfortable... M&S measurements might be okay for M&S bras but they seem to use a completely different system to everyone else! A good fitter will just look at you and bring a selection to try on. Riding up at the back and 4 cup syndrome definitely makes it sound like you need to go down a back size and up at least one cup size.

006 Thu 18-May-06 18:30:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lilliput Thu 18-May-06 22:42:32

I went to John Lewis last week and was properly measured as I have lost quite a bit of weight. I was wearing a 36DD and it turned out I am 32E. I feel like I have had a boob job, it is totally amazing. A new bra can do wonders for you self esteem and I so wished I had gone there ages ago! I went to M&S when I was pregnant and had a very similar experience with two biddies discussing my boobs, they reckoned I was a B cup. This was totally ridiculous as I haven't been a B cup since I was 14, went to john Lewis and they measured me a 36F. How they could get it so wrong I really don't know.

collision Thu 18-May-06 22:46:30

I thought M&S were great.

I thought I was 36 DD and I was. They brought me 2 lovely bras and I bought them both with matching knickers!

dinny Thu 18-May-06 22:49:17

R&P always measure back size much narrower than places like M&S. And cup size much larger.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: