Talk

Advanced search

I look awful HELP!

(19 Posts)
ariane5 Thu 02-May-13 21:02:57

I have noticed that over the past month or so that I am looking DREADFUL.

My hair is always really greasy, my skin is grey, blotchy, spotty and just horrible.

My nails are all picked and my skin is dry.

I feel horrible and embarassed of myself, I hate going out as feel hideous.
I had my hair trimmed last week so that's a bit better and I have an appointment for a pedicure at the weekend (first one in about 3 yrs!).

What else can I do to make myself feel and look better ? My hair is really getting me down suddenly its always greasy sad

BallerinaZeena Thu 02-May-13 21:07:08

How often do you wash your hair? Make sure you use your finger tips to really scrub your scalp. Only put conditioner on the ends and just use a little. Dry shampoo is good - shake and spray a bit at the roots. Rub in then brush through. Lifesaver!

OneLittleLady Thu 02-May-13 21:07:22

Ok, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think it is, we are all our own worst critics!

If you have dry skin, find a moisturiser that's good for that and use it everyday. Nivea and Jergens are both budget brands that do a good job. Buy some cheap pots of hand cream and leave them by sinks and in your handbag and use them as often as you can.

For your face, work out if you are dry, oily or combination and look for a decent face wash and moisturiser to combat what your issues are. Superdrug have a lot of good own brand ranges that are fairly inexpensive to start out with, their Vitamin E hot cloth cleanser is particularly good.

Find a shampoo specifically for greasy hair and wash every couple of days, tying your hair back (if you can) on the inbetween days.

ariane5 Thu 02-May-13 21:19:21

Previously I was washing it every other day and it was ok. The last month though it has needed washing every day and if I don't it feels and looks disgusting and is just horrible and all I can think is how greasy and uncomfortable it feels.
I don't want to make it worse by washing too often but I simply can't leave it. Its quite long so can tie it up when its due a wash but it still looks awful!

I got a multivitamin as my skins been so bad but expect it'll take a while to work (I eat reasonably well so not sure if I needed it but skins so bad I'm desperate)

Fed up of my clothes too, I feel fruympy, always in leggings, long tops and cardis and just feel shapeless.

OneLittleLady Thu 02-May-13 21:35:27

What about a wrap dress with leggings and cardi to change things up a bit? I don't know if you have much money to yourself but you can pick them up pretty cheaply. It would give you some definition round the waist and perhaps help you feel a little less shapeless. Have you also been properly measured for bras? A well fitting bra can make a massive amount of difference to your shape. If you haven't already been properly fitted, find the bra thread and ask about measuring yourself and getting a size.

chunkymonkeybaby Thu 02-May-13 21:36:49

I was feeling really down about how I looked after having my DD last October so to make myself feel better I try to stick to a routine and make time for it each day. I always cleanse, tone and moisturise (I use No7 hot cloth cleanser, a simple toner and body shop aloe day/night cream. Body Shop have a good range of moisturizers, the aloe might suit you as its for sensitive skin. They have a vitamin c range too which is good for brightening skin.). I use those scrubby exfoliating gloves in the shower and always put body lotion or oil on after every shower and it makes a huge difference I think. I've just bought Garnier ultimate beauty oil, it smells lush. I try to put makeup on every day cause it makes me feel better, I use Bare Minerals makeup as its easy and doesn't feel heavy. I try to keep my nails in good shape too, my hands get dry too from constant hand washing. My favourite hand cream is the L'Occitane Shea butter one. I also use OPI avoplex nail oil and flexitol nail cream. I don't have time to paint my nails very often but try to keep my toenails painted.

Once a week I use ojon revitalising hair treatment, you might want something lighter. You say your hair is greasy, I use tresemme deep cleansing shampoo every day as its gentle enough for frequent use and it gets rid of all products and my hair feels squeaky clean using it. It might be worth a try.

MadBusLady Thu 02-May-13 21:49:48

Change your shampoo. I find that wakes my hair up a bit and it doesn't seem to matter (within reason) what I change from or to. Or maybe try one of those clarifying shampoos? It could be that your usual shampoo/conditioner is leaving a deposit.

Skin: if you don't use a muslin cloth to get your usual cleanser off, start using one, with warm water, and boilwash it with towels or bedding a couple of times a week. Get any exfoliator or mask you know suits you and commit to doing that twice a week - or more initially if your skin can take it. Really moisturise - bit counter-intuitive if you're spotty at the moment, but if your moisturiser is non-comedogenic and oil-free it shouldn't make things worse. I highly recommend Neutrogena's spot control moisturiser, which I use at night (it's a bit tacky under make-up for the day). It has BHAs in it and should help to clear spots. During the day, Clinique's city block is pretty good - has SPF25 and a slight tint so it gives a bit of coverage, and not at all irritating to red/blotchy skin. Take time to work it in.

Also, how long is it since you plucked your brows and really concentrated on the shape, rather than just on not having a monobrow? Set aside half an hour in good light this weekend and do it (or get them waxed in a salon) - this makes a massive difference to your face.

ariane5 Thu 02-May-13 22:02:07

A wrap dress sounds nice, I am such a weird shape I feel so awkward.

I do think I need to make the effort to wear some make up every day as I look grey and exhausted. My eyebrows are dreadful, I just pluck the stray hairs as and when I get a minute so they are not a good shape!

I am probably most upset about my hands, I even hate paying in shops as I have picked round my nails. I decided yest to just cut all my nails off, filed them all and keep putting cream on but they look dreadful and will take ages to heal sad

OneLittleLady Thu 02-May-13 22:06:58

Flexitol is meant to be brilliant for hands and feet, perhaps look for some of that?

ariane5 Thu 02-May-13 22:28:29

Have to go to shops tomorrow so will get some flexitol, a diff shampoo and some dry shampoo.

BinksToEnlightenment Fri 03-May-13 05:48:38

Make sure you are going to bed early and drinking lots of water through the day. Buy a big bottle and challenge yourself to drink the recommend amount.

Do this every day for at least a week. It's free and will make a huge difference.

Hopefully Fri 03-May-13 06:52:16

Second the comments about changing shampoo/using a clarifying shampoo. When I did this a while back I couldn't believe how lightweight my hair suddenly was! It had got so weighed down with residue/product/whatever.

I bought the Flexitol nail and cuticle cream last week and have been using it twice a day (keep it by my toothbrush) and ir has made a big difference. Definitely try a new shampoo and conditioner.

whataboutbob Sat 04-May-13 20:49:34

Ariane I am a thumb picker and working v hard to kick the habit. If that s you too I have found the website www.stoppickingonme.com v helpful.

nevertoooldforindie Sat 04-May-13 22:32:03

For your dry hands try the SOS hand cream from lidl it's amazing and only about a quid I picked up some on impulse and my nails and skin condition have improved loads. I empathize with you OP everyone has similar times a bit of pampering called for x

LiquidCosh Sun 05-May-13 04:57:52

ariane, I have long hair too that can look greasy quite soon after washing so what I do now is use a volumising shampoo and stick some Velcro rollers in after I dry it and I also try to get it cut every 6 weeks. This makes it look less limp and therefore less greasy.
I take a multi vitamin and also a hair, skin and nails supplement from Holland and barrett. After having DC4 I found my hair was thinning, my nails were brittle and my face was quite oily too but I can def recommend this product as I have been taking it now for aprox 3 months and I have seen a big improvement in all 3 areas xx

SofaCanary Sun 05-May-13 10:50:12

Are you eating properly? Try and add a multivitamin, vit c and fish oil suppliment, I find taking these regularly help.

Oh, and be kinder to yourself flowers

Peregrin Sun 05-May-13 13:45:46

Like SofaCanary, my first thought was what is your diet like? Cutting down on refined sugar, increasing the amount of good fats and fresh fruit/veggies you eat etc might help.

For your skin, try honey-aspirin masks, or washing with honey rather than soap in the morning, moisturise with jojoba oil.

For your hair, clarifying might be a good step to start with but I would not invest in a clarifying shampoo. You don't want to do it too often because that would be harsh on your hair and it might actually make the greasiness worse (your scalp will feel stripped and go into overproducing oils). You can achieve the same effect periodically by mixing baking soda into your regular shampoo, then rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar (to restore the ph balance of your scalp, among other things) and use a good conditioner. Look for products without sulphates and in the case of conditioners, preferably not overloaded with silicones.

Do I sound crunchy? smile I do not wear Birkenstocks, but I incorporate the above in my regime and it really helps my blotchiness-prone, sensitive skin. I have also invested a lot in learning about hair since I have hip length, healthy hair.

whataboutbob Sun 05-May-13 20:58:49

Totally agree with crunchy. A couple of years ago my hair could have been used as a Brillo pad. I detoxed it of all silicone containing products (OK, of most scp s) I have also made my own clarifying shampoo with bicarbonate and the results are really convincing. I will not go back to silicone laden products. The worst ever I used was Kiehls- really horrendous results with their coconut conditioner. Once in a while I do an olive oil mask- warm it, apply to lower half of hair, leave at least half an hour then wash off. V good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now