Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Long lasting foundation recommendations

(18 Posts)
medjool Thu 02-May-13 19:25:01

I am looking for recommendations for a new foundation. I am looking for something which is long lasting, a cool colour (I have used MAC previously and like their cool shades rather than warm shades which can be a bit orangey even at the right lightness for my skin), will cover redness/blemishes and doesn't need to be set with powder so looks more natural. Not a lot of asks?!

I am currently using Estee Lauder Double Wear light, but even their lightest shade is too orange for me and the coverage isn't great. Their regular double wear product is too heavy and mask like, plus I was previously sold completely the wrong colour for my complexion and so am less than enthusiastic about the brand.

I went into MAC today but I'm not sure I like the way their foundation sat on my skin and they were unwilling to part with a sample without which I refuse to commit to a purchase given previous mistakes trusting the lady on the counter at Estee Lauder.

Any great recommendations?

emsyj Thu 02-May-13 20:53:48

If your skin is very light then have you tried Illamasqua?

Alternatively, Chanel Vitalumiere is very good and a very different formulation from Double Wear although similarly good coverage. It's much less dry IMO, so if you have oily skin it might not be that great but otherwise worth a go - they should give you a sample on counter.

MAC Studio Fix is similar to Double Wear in coverage and lasting power but with more 'slip' so easier to blend, but if the MAC shades don't suit then that's no good I suppose.

Mendi Thu 02-May-13 20:59:17

I'm a big fan of the YSL Touche Éclat foundation. I used Chanel Vitalumiere immediately prior but the YSL Touche Éclat is in a different league IME.

Having said that I also rate Bobbi Brown's foundations. They are all yellow-based rather than pink-based, which deals with that 'orange' issue you mention.

If you have £££ to spend, I've heard wonderful things about Suqqu's foundation (Sali Hughes loves it) and when I was richer I had Chantecaille, which was like airbrush make-up: amazing.

RosieLig Thu 02-May-13 21:12:28

Reckon Colourstay in beige sand or my combination, pale yellow toned skin. Love it and I've tried a lot!

RosieLig Thu 02-May-13 21:12:55

Oops Revlon, that is!

doubleshotespresso Thu 02-May-13 21:38:52

Loreal Infallible do a great pale foundation and it truly lasts all day. However, if your budget is a bit bigger, I'd second YSL too, it is beautiful and their pale shades are good for pale/pinky tones.....

Lancome maybe too?

Speedos Thu 02-May-13 21:40:23

The new bareminerals compact one is the best foundation I have ever had.

GettingObsessive Thu 02-May-13 21:41:40

Bobbi Brown longwear even finish is good.

laracroft2001 Thu 02-May-13 21:43:18

Try Lancôme tient idole ultra 24, or Givenchy photoperfexion light.

What's quite useful for you is quite a few brands just now (lauder/Lancôme/Givenchy) are doing a foundation dramming programme so you can get a free 3/5 day sample.

medjool Thu 02-May-13 22:41:16

Thanks all. My skin is not pale pale (just worn-out-working-mum-who-needs-a-holiday pale) just keen not to look 'tangoed' for want of a better expression! YSL option sounds interesting as does Bobbi Brown. I have a day off work this week (other than bank hol - yey!) so will seek out my local Bobbi Brown counter and do the rounds of the rest (while shooting evil looks at Estee Lauder lady wink).

medjool Thu 02-May-13 22:43:17

Also heard good things about Revlon - but no options to test it properly as no counter...

crushedintherush Thu 02-May-13 22:44:15

Stay perfect boots no7, they do the colour match tester thing to get the closest shade to your skin tone.
hth smile

JennySense Thu 02-May-13 22:45:37

I use mineral foundation and I love it - I've used Bare Minerals and LilyLolo

medjool Fri 03-May-13 11:11:36

Boots no.7 sounds amazing! Will also check out!

Deathwatchbeetle Fri 03-May-13 13:08:34

The Revlon Colourstay is great it comes in dry and a combination/Oily version.

I can confirm it stays! I have extremely watery eyes - like I am crying most of the time and it does not budge. Every other foundation (apart from Bourjois) does and it runs down my nose!!

I am not sure how pale it goes -my skin is quite light and I have it in Chamois Buff and another colour I can't remember!!

pepperminty Fri 03-May-13 22:34:46

Ha ha. I like the shade you have coined:

"worn-out-working-mum-who-needs-a-holiday pale"

Second me on that!

HoneyStAngelo Fri 03-May-13 22:45:47

Max factor facefinity.

ABridalArtist Sat 04-May-13 14:22:57

I recommend Revlon Colourstay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now