Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ugh. Bunions and plantar fasciitis. What on earth can I wear on my feet this summer? Comfort does override style, I'm afraid, but can't even find comfort.

(24 Posts)
Judyandherdreamofhorses Thu 02-May-13 08:20:28

As subject! Please recommend...

Ohhelpohnoitsa Thu 02-May-13 23:36:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 03-May-13 06:52:27

I've never had comfy summer shoes (foot problems caused by wonky feet, not age or heels).

I'll let you know if I find anything. There's a shop near me that hand makes them...but I can't afford the £££££.

3MonthMaid Fri 03-May-13 07:00:16

Toms? They have decent insoles...

tharsheblows Fri 03-May-13 07:05:52

I don't have such bad problems but I use FitFlop boots as slippers - they're even more comfortable than bare feet for me and undo whatever damage my shoes do.

Quite a few people I know have the flip flops - they're very comfortable and flip flops aren't terribly stylish to start with, so they look fine.

Looking at them, I might get these.

tharsheblows Fri 03-May-13 07:09:02

Which Toms did you get, 3MonthMaid? Mine are pretty flat and end up hurting, plus they wear out sooooo quickly.

My Superga sneakers have more support except, idiot that I am, I think I bought them a little too small.

Also, insertable insoles. My mom gave me some supportive heel things but I've lost them. Must get more.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 03-May-13 07:09:19

I've just read the 'city walking shoes' thread. Not inspired by anything on there either. Even my trainers are uncomfortable this year, with orthotic insole.

I'm doomed to staying in or wearing my uber-expensive dog walking wellies all summer...

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 03-May-13 07:11:31

I've never tried Fit Flops. I might take the plunge, even if just for slippers as you suggest.

Are the superga shoes really flat? They look it.

chosenone Fri 03-May-13 07:23:07

Same problems here. 2 hours in a 2 inch heel last weekend left me in agony I fashioned myself a bunion splint out of cotton wool pads and wore my brogues. I then went and bought some fit flops and omg !! The comfort is amazing. They dont look great though, particularly with maxi skirt s and dresses. Think I'm going to get crocs ballerinas in relaxed fit.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 03-May-13 07:26:02

The sandals with summer dresses thread has some ideas.

I think I'll go and try on some fit flops, hush puppies etc today. I probably need two pairs. Something sandally and something more trainery.

tharsheblows Fri 03-May-13 07:50:45

Superga have loads more support than any other sneaker I've had (Convese, BenSimon). Maybe just try them on and see. I'd wear mine more except they're a tiny bit too narrow at the toe- a problem due to my duck feet, not the shoe.

Judyandherdreamofhorses Fri 03-May-13 08:15:41

I have duck feet too. They really are beyond redemption. Poor feet!

MissMogwi Fri 03-May-13 09:11:31

Has anyone got those Fit Flop wedge type ballerinas up thread? They look really comfy, I expect great things for £70!

ExRatty Fri 03-May-13 09:13:55

i have the bunions grrr

Eliza22 Fri 03-May-13 09:25:24

I am watching with interest. Ex-ballet feet here. By the time I was 22 my feet were buggered. Heels are right out. Ballet pump types, are out because they're too low slung over my big toe joint (more distorted from pointe shoes than actual, certified bunions). Day to day, I'm in MBT's and in winter, live in flat boots.

Now, recently, I bought a wedge from Clarks (unusual for me). They're called Onslow Holly (pink and tan) and cost £39.99 (and this is the good bit)..... The actual wedge bit is all the way down the sole so, no "heel" IYKWIM. No sloping or pressure on the balls of the feet. Can't link but, have a look on their site. I can actually walk about in them.

EarlyInTheMorning Fri 03-May-13 09:33:33

Duck feet here too but I am short so need extra height. It's a constant painful and expensive battle. I can rarely find anything in Clarks, everything they do is for narrow feet and I'm more like an EE. I have found Fly London to be pretty comfortable, suitable for wide feet and high enough but there's a compromise on look because they're not exactly chic shoes are they?

LifeofPo Fri 03-May-13 09:35:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolgerDanske Fri 03-May-13 09:41:32

I suffered badly with plantar fasciitis for years, still do a bit but it has got much, much better. Fit flops were my saving grace at the worst phase, I have five or six pairs and a pair of boots because they helped so much. Yes they're expensive for a pair of glorified sandals but it was totally worth it for me.

At home I wear crocs as slippers. They are even more comfortable than the fit flops.

But have you tried the prescribed exercises for plantar fasciitis? I saw a podiatrist a couple of times in the last year and was advised to stretch as much as possible and it has been very helpful. Much less pain. I also wear insoles that were made up for me by the podiatrist. If you haven't seen one I would ask for a referral from your GP.

carriedawayannie Fri 03-May-13 09:44:45

I agree with the stretching, made all the difference with my plantar fasciitis.

Does anyone know of any cheaper shoes that might help? I can't afford £70

jetsetlil Fri 03-May-13 10:01:20

I have bunions and can never find any nice sandals for summer. They are all strappy and my feet look awful however I have just bought my perfect pair from Topshop. Sorry, I don't know how to do links but they are this season, Gold with thick woven straps and were £30. I wore them yesterday with a summer dress and they looked lovely.

xTillyx Fri 03-May-13 10:27:43

Birkenstocks are very comfortable and nice and wide so won't squash your feet. They do lots of nice patterns and colours.

I was in Next the other day an noticed they had a collection of sandals that were real leather and under £30

Good luck finding your shoes!

ClaimedByMe Fri 03-May-13 10:30:31

Before my mum had her bunion removed, she had 2 pairs of footwear, fitflops for summer and ugg boots for winter, she couldn't get anything else on, even after her bunion removal she still wears the fitflops as they are so comfy.

ExRatty Fri 03-May-13 10:30:55

I hate to admit it but I am considering fit flop ballerinas
those beige one look passable

CeeceeBloomingdale Fri 03-May-13 10:34:30

I have just bought a pair of Lotus footflex sandals (reduced to £6.49 in the catalogue shop fact fans). They are EEE width fitting wedge sandals which probably have a touch of the old lady about them but figure they'll look ok with my clothes rather than beige crimpoline. Anyway they work with bunion bulges, and are leather uppers and lining so they have to be worth a go. My feet are killing after walking 2.5 miles in converse even with orthotic insoles so desperate times call for desperate measures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now