Talk

Advanced search

Wrinkly neck. Yuck. Is there anything better than Astral?

(13 Posts)
pocketandsweet Wed 01-May-13 20:33:59

Depressing. I'm 45 and someone seems to have told my neck. I blame too much past sun exposure but other than obvious heavy SPF protection now has anyone found anything better than Astral? It seems to help a bit but is almost too greasy ( in that it seems to cause pimples occasionally ). Pimples and wrinkles isn't a great look . I can throw some money at the problem but not too much. I await enlightenment.

LittleFrieda Wed 01-May-13 20:38:09

Have you tried a daily facial workout?

pocketandsweet Wed 01-May-13 20:43:40

Nope. Unless you included my daily collection of histrionic reactions to my children's various demands smile. Link me please.

LittleFrieda Wed 01-May-13 23:09:49

http://www.howdini.com/howdini-video-6638992.html this shows some basic face yoga.

LittleFrieda Wed 01-May-13 23:10:18

www.howdini.com/howdini-video-6638992.html clickable Linky

ClaudiaCutie Thu 02-May-13 09:48:40

Pocket

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you can get a really big improvement in your neck/decollete area (mine was wrinkly/crepey due to sun damage). The bad news is that the most effective treatment is Restalyne Vital, which means you get a doctor to put a lot of tiny injections into the skin. They have to do this at least three times (I had it done 5 times last year). The further bad news is that it needs to be topped up - I'll get it done twice more this year, I think as a maintenance. Further bad news is that I paid £250 per treatment. So that was £1,250 last year and another £500 this year.

If I'd started with one or two treatments 5 years ago, when the creasing first started, it wouldn't have needed such a big hit last year. I wish I'd gotten onto it early, really.

Is it worth it to me? Hell yes. Totally. But my skin was really awful and creased; someone who's had less sun exposure wouldn't need the same number of treatments.

The good news is, apart from working extremely well, you're banking the improvement for the future - it does almost stop the clock on the neck/decollete area.

If you can't stand the idea of needles or expense, you can try the Obaji Nu-Derm system too, that's about £100. I've got it but I'm too lazy to use it most of the time, and it gives subtle, slow improvement rather than the 'wooo, fixed!' effect of the Vital (which the doctor pronounced as Vitt-Tahl BTW, not Vy-t'le).

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-May-13 10:12:30

Why not put a retin A cream on at night? It's the best thing I've found for skin. Even my age spots are going.

pocketandsweet Thu 02-May-13 11:23:12

claudiacutie. That's very interesting but so far out of my £ range. If I win the lottery though maybesmile

fluffy tell me what retin a cream you use?

ClaudiaCutie Thu 02-May-13 11:42:46

Yes sorry the cost of the Vital is a bit gulp-inducing admittedly. I'm a sucker for a quick, drastic fix even if it's pricey.

Retin A or Trentonin (like the Obagi) will definitely give you a nice improvement over a period of time, for a fraction of the cost of Restalyne, just be sure to SPF like mad forever more, the skin is extremely vulnerable to sun after such treatments.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 02-May-13 11:46:29

I get it off amazon, it comes from Thailand usually.

I started off on 0.025% every other night, then 0.05% when my skin was used to it, I got breakouts but I was careful so I didn't get any excessive dryness.

You have to follow the instructions to the letter, you can't mess about with this stuff. When they say a pea sized amount 20 minutes after cleansing they mean it.

eBay does it too.

Lottapianos Thu 02-May-13 12:21:13

I think Astral is marvellous stuff OP. It seems to plump up my skin and makes my eye lines look a lot less noticeable. I would stick with that.

FattyMcChubster Thu 02-May-13 12:32:43

A good hydrating cream, doesn't have to be expensive (or specifically for the neck) and facial exercises daily.
Say each vowel really dramatically and drawn out iykwim?
Do it each time you visit the loo so no one can see you grin

bella65 Thu 02-May-13 14:22:01

You are on a hiding to nothing with creams. I had a consultation with a very good cosmetic dr and was told that all that would sort out my neck- 'bracelets' and crepy- was Botox and Dermaroller- and even those would only give a 50% improvement- and my neck is not THAT bad!

If the skin has gone soft and crepy nothing but a neck lift will work.

Retin A might soften lines a little but it won't tighten the tissues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now