Talk

Advanced search

Any happy endings from those of you with hair loss who saw it stop once your ferritin levels increased?

(5 Posts)
sidebysides Wed 01-May-13 20:20:03

I have always been prone to hair shedding bouts but in the past year it's not really stopped. Ferritin levels in November were off the scale low - around 4upg - been taking ferrous fumerate and now around 30. It stopped for a couple of months and then started shedding again.

I went to see a dermatologist today. My sister has AGA. I was worried that my hair shedding was a precursor to that, even though mine is diffuse and still quite a good head of hair whereas hers is typical scalp showing, very very thin.

He said that it is possible that it could be genetic but not worried yet. Any deviation around the crown was in normal range. But yes, it's clear I have a shedding cycle issue.

He said I need to get ferritin levels over 70 and that could take 4-6 months, with another 3 months to see growth.

I'm nervous that it will keep shedding and it's not ferritin related.

Any thoughts?

bulletproofgerbil Wed 01-May-13 20:29:28

Nothing helpful to add sadly but just wanted to say you're not alone. I'm not usually prone to shedding, but do have very fine hair. For the last few months though lots has been coming out and my scalp is really see-through which is really upsetting. I'm 52 and peri-menopausal. I'm going to my GP next week to ask for blood tests for ferritin levels/thyroid etc and to see if she can suggest something that's causing this.

It sounds like yours is related to your low ferritin and hopefully the dermatologist is right that once that's ok it will stop shedding and re-grow. I know what you mean about being nervous though. I dread washing/drying mine at the moment because so much is coming out and I'm constantly faffing with it to try cover up the worst areas.

poppysqueak Wed 01-May-13 20:56:22

Hi - yes I can offer some hope regarding hair loss and low ferritin levels.
After taking iron supplements and major op which eventually returned very low levels (can't remember level as was some years ago) to normal, my hair loss slowed to normal rate and regrowth started. However I was warned this could take quite a long time and it did! Well over a year. My hair is still a little thin in the fringe area but nothing like as bad as it was.

Good luck.

Urbanvoltaire Wed 01-May-13 21:09:44

I had a bad hair shedding experience a few years ago due to an illness and subsequent anaemia. Was on iron tablets 3 x daily and it took several months to stop. I also took hair, skin & nails multi bits for what they're worth. Hair grew back but not to the full volume as before.

I was ill again in Jan & now going through a similar experience so back on iron tablets & await full blood results tomorrow from doctors. Trouble is I'm starting from a less hair situation anyway (from a few years ago) & feeling v paranoid about it. Hopefully it'll recover like last time.

sidebysides Thu 02-May-13 10:40:31

Thanks all - that's really comforting to hear!

Yes, I have been told to expect that it can take 9 months plus.

Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now