Talk

Advanced search

Something weird is happening with my skin

(15 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 01-May-13 10:19:40

The skin on my face has become really dry (I've always had fairly oily skin) and I'm very spotty (really big spots) around my chin. Even in my teenage years, I never had spots like this. I've heard that spots on your chin signifies an imbalance connected to your reproductive organs. I'm a bit concerned that this may be something connected to my hormones and the start of the menopause? (I'm 39)

But the skin on the rest of my body is awful, too - really dry and it feels itchy though I have no rash - it looks dry, though.

I tried a nivea firming lotion with Q10 but that just brought me out in a very lumpy rash similar in appearance to prickly heat. It was also very itchy.

So, I'd like to know, if any of you has found a way to deal with dry skin? I'm wondering if my diet is deficient in something? Is there anything you recommend including in your diet? Or if you have a recommendation for a (preferably relatively inexpensive) moisturiser for face and for body?

Thank you.

VillaVillekulla Wed 01-May-13 10:22:51

Might be worth checking it out with GP as it sounds like it could be hormonal. Not necessarily menopause though.
Have you tried E45? Or coconut oil?

piprabbit Wed 01-May-13 10:25:15

My face seems to be doing something similar to yours and my body is also drier than it has ever been.

No tips really (I also suspect it's hormonal) except tea tree oil on face spots and dry brushing body (seems to make moisturising more effective).

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 01-May-13 10:28:27

The other thing I'd noticed that made me think it might be hormonal, is that I've never had loads of body hair (I mean, where it wasn't supposed to be) - I could go ages without shaving my legs - and now, if I shave, I get those dark dots where the hair follicle is.

Bugger.

WowOoo Wed 01-May-13 10:35:29

I think Omega fish oil really helped my dry skin.
I also started eating a load of seeds and nuts - including hemp seeds as someone told me they were good for eczema and general skin condition.

My dry skin has cleared up. I'd go to a doctor as with the hair growth it sounds like it could be hormonal.

A friend had something similar. I think it was down to hormones, but she was told it was all within normal range and down to her age. She may have been peri menopausal.

She was 41 when this happened. Now, she's 42 and it has all calmed down. No menopause yet either for her. It went on for at least half a year....could be different for you.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 01-May-13 10:43:16

I have just made an appointment with a Dr (easier said than done) for next week.

I will try the Omega fish oil and up the seeds and nuts.

Not sure how I'll feel if they tell me I'm peri menopausal. Though speaking to my Mum the other day, her periods just stopped (not too many bad symptoms) and she was only 48. Mind you her two sisters don't seem to have followed that pattern and were much older. So who knows.

I've been using coconut oil and it sort of just sits on my skin for a while and I feel really greasy - then it must soak in and I feel all dry again.

VillaVillekulla Wed 01-May-13 13:05:11

I think it's really common FWIW. I've seen lots of threads on here and other forums where women are saying they've had good skin for years and all of a sudden they're getting acne/cystic acne/spots in their 40s. It may not mean that you're about to hit the menopause, it may just be a fluctuation in hormones that happens around this age <trying to sound like a doctor when I'm not>.

Definitely worth getting checked out. They should probably just do some blood tests to check your hormone levels. Maybe ask them to check your thyroid levels too as I think thyroid problems can lead to acne and very dry skin amongst other things.

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 01-May-13 13:15:17

Isn't coconut oil comedogenic? If you're suffering with spots then you definitely don't want to put that on your face.

You can buy rich, non comedogenic moisturisers that will deal with any dryness without the risk of clogging your pores. Try Avene or La Roche Posay. Vichy Normaderm do some good non comedogenic skin care too.

Awks Wed 01-May-13 14:38:59

Welcome to the perimenopausal years. It's a bloody pain in the arse isn't it?

withaspongeandarustyspanner Wed 01-May-13 15:30:49

Awks <sob>

Charliefox Wed 01-May-13 16:22:06

Yep, join the peri club. It's all shits and giggles!

QueenCadbury Wed 01-May-13 16:27:32

Yep, sounds peri menopausal I'm afraid. My skin's been playing up too. Having researched the peri menopause I have a lot of the symptoms. It can go on for years and it's the hormones beginning to fluctuate.

TigerseyeMum Wed 01-May-13 19:43:46

Agree you need to get your thyroid checked.

Double check your cleansing routine is up to scratch - I'm 40 and now use a combination skin cleanser at night up take my make up off (ANC I've just bought dermalogica pre cleanse to help with this) but use Spiezia in the morning as its gentle and moisturising.

Notfootball Wed 01-May-13 19:52:33

Oh god. I was hoping someone was going to have a fabulous solution but peri-menopausal?! My skin is the same, I've been using the Body Shop tea tree oil range on my face and supplementing with another moisturiser as it is quite drying, and Palmers cocoa butter in solid form on my skin - it's pretty good.

Off to read up on the symptoms of peri-menopause - beautiful!

withaspongeandarustyspanner Thu 02-May-13 16:10:13

Well, to cheer myself up - I bought some Liz Earle hot cloth polish, tonic and moisturiser. It smells lovely smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now