Talk

Advanced search

best make up for darker skin

(11 Posts)
enormouse Tue 30-Apr-13 17:26:24

I'm pretty new to style and beauty but I'm really interested in your opinions.

Today I went to the bobbi Brown counter in house of Fraser and got some advice about foundation and concealer. I have bobbi Brown tinted moisturiser but wanted something with a little more coverage and to cover my dark circles. I left feeling sad as I was told I had lines and needed products to fill in my face, a primer and under eye cream. (I'm 24 and look about 16). I'm still interested in the products I went to look at in the first place - the concealer and foundation

I was recommended the warm honey skin foundation, honey concealer duo, vitamin enriched base and hydrating eye cream.

Are these products worth it? Is there a cheaper alternative? I have mid toned Indian skin that's prone to dryness.
I was under the impression that there is nothing like bobbi Brown for darker ladies.

OneLittleLady Tue 30-Apr-13 17:32:46

I don't really know anything about make up for darker skin (i'm so pale that milke looks dark next to me!) but I have to say, if you look 16 ish and have been told you need products to 'fill' your face, you must have had a rough paper round wink sounds like they were just pushing products on you to me. That said, I have heard good things about their foundations and concealers, especially for darker skin tones so they might be worth trying. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of darker skin will come along and offer you some advice soon smile

enormouse Tue 30-Apr-13 17:46:48

Thank you smile

Admittedly I have had a rough couple of days juggling uni deadlines around a d and v-ing toddler but I didn't think I looked bad enough to be recommended things for my lines. I just wanted to get something to make myself feel nice and I left feeling awful. I was ready to buy the pricey concealer and foundation up until that point.

OneLittleLady Tue 30-Apr-13 17:51:01

A rough couple of days shouldn't leave you needing to 'fill' your face. I'm 30 but look considerably younger and I don't listen when make up sales people tell me I have crows feet because one look in the mirror tells me I don't!

I'm sorry they left you feeling awful, they should want to make you look and feel good, not leave you walking away feeling terrible about yourself. Hopefully you will be able to get some advice on here and then you'll find what you need to look and feel great smile

MooMinCow Tue 30-Apr-13 18:29:02

Hi Enormouse. I'm Asian and am similar shade to you (BB Honey). If you have under eye pigmentation like I have I would recommend their corrector in Peach or Dark Peach. It lasts for ages and does work layered under a regular concealer. I have their creamy concealer too but find it can settle in lines so only use it when going out (I prefer MAC Moisturecover concealer for every day)

From what I remember they ALWAYS try and flog their eye cream when selling concealer! I just use an eye cream from Aldi that does the job just as well. smile

I also use No7 'Deeply Honey' essentially natural foundation (got matched with their new gizmo) and its a good match and nice light texture.

I would also check out MAC or Sleek Makeup (at Superdrug) for good darker shades.

I wouldn't worry about what she said - her selling technique obviously needs work!

maybemyrtle Tue 30-Apr-13 21:36:34

I rarely say this, but I do feel that you should complain about the sales assistant who spoke to you like that. Outrageous that anyone, at 24, should be told they have lines and need products to fill in their face! As you said, you wanted to make yourself feel nice and was told nonsense like that. I'm angrily tutting on your behalf! angry

enormouse Wed 01-May-13 08:51:06

maybemyrtle I'm just going to write it down to being overzealous and as MooMin said being told to flog that eye cream whenever possible. I'll just go to their competition to buy my make up. In the past I've bought from mac and they have been absolutely lovely. I'll also warn my friends not to use that particular counter. Thanks for being angry on my behalf

MooMin is their corrector quite creamy? What do you use on top of it? I found that the concealer she put on me did start to settle and look powdery. I think I will go to Mac instead. I've used their foundation and loved it.

Popps2905 Wed 01-May-13 09:00:26

I'm asian and No7 Deeply Honey is fantastic for my skin, haven't found any other shade that matches up to it, and Boots do a free skin match test now to make sure you're wearing the right shade. At first I thought it was too dark, but now it feels like its the right shade for me. And then i just pop a bit of blusher on my cheekbones. i'm very minimal when it comes to make up.

enormouse Wed 01-May-13 09:07:00

Popps and MooMin I will go and check out the No7 on your recommendation. My profile has a photo of me (available briefly) - would deeply honey work on my skin?

MooMinCow Wed 01-May-13 11:38:57

Sorry am on phone so can't see the pic, but like Popps I thought it would be too dark, but it is a great match! The No7 lady gave me a generous sample that lasted 2 weeks so I got to road test it smile

Yes the corrector is creamy. I find it best to apply in tapping motion after eye cream has sunk in but only in the inner corners/dark patch rather than right upto the lower lash line like BB ladies tell you. If it feels greasy lightly blot with tissue then apply your foundation. I then apply a small amount of my normal MAC concealer over the entire area. I then dust the tiniest amount of MAC Prep & Prime powder (E.L.F High Definition powder is a cheaper alternative too) over it all to set. I don't get it settling into lines this way, but TBH all concealers will settle to a certain extent because the skin under your eyes move constantly when you smile/talk etc!

MummyOfLittleBigGirl Wed 22-May-13 19:02:56

Have you tried mineral powder?

I use to use MAC NW(45 & 50) but I use Hello Beautiful, they have my skin shade & not pricey.

Yesterday I spotted this blog post titled "50 Shades of Beige" the photo is of a chemist's foundation section.

I had to laugh as the blogger was actually wearing the "CC Self Adjusting Cream" on half of her face shock shock shock - it just did not adjust to her skin tone.

However, there was a serious more poignant message to all manufacturers of makeup in her blog post.

Here's the blog post -> hairspiration.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/50-shades-of-beige-open-letter-to.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now