Talk

Advanced search

Bikini and stretch marks?

(17 Posts)
HettyWainthropp Tue 30-Apr-13 15:50:18

I have stretch marks over my stomach, they have silvered but I have lots and the worst ones are quite wide, about 6mm across. My stomach is pretty flat, just a little bit saggy after having the DC. Otherwise I would feel fine to be in a bikini, I'm no supermodel but look basically fine.

How do you know if you are ok to wear a bikini or not?

I'm going to be in America and don't know if I should dare to bare or not? Is there some sort of unwritten rule about whether you should or not?

HappyGirlNow Tue 30-Apr-13 17:17:28

I have tummy stretch marks and the skins a bit saggy too and I wear a bikini. Why not? As long as you're comfortable.

dexter73 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:22:47

My stomach is the same. You have to be quite close up to notice them though. Hopefully no-one is paying that much attention to my stomach!!

OrangeLily Tue 30-Apr-13 17:24:11

Dare to bear! You sound much bodily better than me and I have no kids!
I do have plenty of stretch marks though. Lots of normal women do smile (in fact DH has them too)

HettyWainthropp Tue 30-Apr-13 17:47:01

They are quite obvious though, they seem quite deep and wide. You're right I'd doubt anyone would really notice them, only if I am bending over can you see how saggy the skin is. Stood up and stood still it all looks mostly ok. Just not sure if I am brave enough/

BinksToEnlightenment Tue 30-Apr-13 18:52:55

There are no rules about it. It's all about what you feel comfortable in.

instantfamily Tue 30-Apr-13 18:56:08

I have this dilemma every summer, but in the end I always wear it. Much to the chagrin of our beach neighbours.

Gives them something to talk about, I say!

OrangeLily Tue 30-Apr-13 21:15:54

Plus the sun is good for stretch marks. It's the best thing possible!

HettyWainthropp Tue 30-Apr-13 21:29:27

I thought the sun was bad for stretch marks and the stretched skin was more vulnerable to UV? Have I got it wrong then? I'd have been in the sun in my garden otherwise trying to improve them the last few years.

OrangeLily Tue 30-Apr-13 21:37:21

Oh god I don't know the actual science.... Maybe don't listen to me!!

I just know it makes mines go silver faster than copious amounts of any special cream smile

MarianForrester Tue 30-Apr-13 21:39:47

Just wear it. When you are in sun and on holiday there will be lots if people with less than perfect bodies and you will wonder what you were worried about smile

TiredyCustards Tue 30-Apr-13 21:42:59

If you feel comfortable, wear a bikini. If not there are lots of nice costumes (or 'one-pieces' as they're now called hmm)around at the moment.

I have a c-section scar and was considering retro high-waisted bikini bottoms or a cut out swimming costume. But now i'm thinking fuck it. I don't care!

SanityClause Tue 30-Apr-13 21:48:43

I have stretch marks, and loose skin. I think nothing of wearing a bikini in Europe - everyone of every size and shape does.

When I was in Australia a few years ago, I was quite aware that women of my age and shape were not wearing bikinis although I didn't actually give a shit .

I'm not sure what it's like in America, so I can't advise about that.

Sorry, this may not actually be very helpful!

HettyWainthropp Tue 30-Apr-13 21:54:58

Not sure about America, I'm sure I'd fit in better in Europe in a bikini but not sure what is the norm in the US.

instantfamily Wed 01-May-13 12:34:16

It's the land of big people, though, isn't it? hard to believe that they all hide away their bodies. I would go for it. After a minute of potential stares you'll be ok.

carrie74 Wed 01-May-13 13:08:52

Definitely wear the bikini (and take a one-piece if you feel totally out of place). FWIW, I go to the US quite a lot, and have never felt self-conscious in my bikini, despite having stretch marks, a pot belly, and some cellulite. Everyone's too busy worrying about their own appearance to notice yours.

BarefootShirl Wed 01-May-13 13:50:02

If you are comfortable with your body then just go for it - most of us as far from perfect! Once you are on the beach you soon realise that you have nothing to worry about as there are always loads of people looking far worse than you and people generally don't pay much attention anyway - at least that's what I tell myself as I lie in the sun in something very small that highlights my muffin top and cellulite grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now