Talk

Advanced search

Hair dye and 'your colours'

(11 Posts)
Nagoo Tue 30-Apr-13 12:40:45

I change my hair a lot.

Is there any point trying to work out what my season/ colours would be if I change my hair colour all the time? I have to change my make up to fit, do I feel like whatever colouring I have is, well, fake anyway.

If I have it brown, it's going to change if I suddenly go red again isn't it?

Any advice gratefully received.

thanks

Plathism Tue 30-Apr-13 15:03:31

The colours experts on here might think differently but I have a friend like you - she looks good in any hair colour, from black to blonde to red. I'm pretty sure her 'season' changes with her hair colours - she's a natural blonde, and with her natural hair colour suits corals, yellows etc (Spring or Autumn?) but when she's got dark hair she looks much more like a Winter, with porcelain skin, bright blue eyes and contrasting dark hair, and suits cobalt blues, bright reds etc.

I, on the other hand, was analysed by HoC as a Winter and told never to lighten or 'warm up' my dark hair - and I totally agree with that as when I had highlights I looked so bleurgh and insipid. And red hair looks hideous on me.

So maybe some people can get away with switching between seasons more easily than others (lucky!)

PoppyWearer Tue 30-Apr-13 15:23:21

A few years back I had my colours done and was told to get rid of my red lowlights as they were not my colours and were too warm. So I did.

About three months ago, my hairdresser (who didn't know me back then) suggested some red tones in my hair.

Guess what? They look fab. Just like they did before! grin

That said, I think I am a borderline neutral, similar colouring to previous poster's friend, so maybe that's why I can get away with ignoring that particular rule!

(I do still stick to the make up and clothes ones though.)

DigWeedSow Tue 30-Apr-13 15:44:50

Oooh interesting, I've been experimenting with colours lately and have just (this afternoon) dyed my hair back to its natural depth as I felt that over the years it had gradually got lighter and lighter and just wasn't right for me.

What I have noticed is that my colours now suit me better, while they were ok before they now bring out the colour of my eyes and my skin tone looks less sallow. I think it's a balance of finding the right colours AND the right hair tone to get the best results, not much help if you like to make drastic hair colour changes though grin

TravelinColour Tue 30-Apr-13 16:37:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OneLittleLady Tue 30-Apr-13 18:01:05

I look awful with blonde hair or blonde highlights. I suit darker colours much better. I can get away with red but only if it's more plummy than flat red IYSWIM. I'd love to have shimmery blonde locks but alas, it is not to be.

Nagoo Tue 30-Apr-13 20:24:01

though it's much easier to take hair warmer than cooler with dye.

Tell me about it, I'm currently sporting way too warm blonde as a take-it lighter interim measure blush. I suppose it's that that is making me realise I need to pay more attention to my colours! smile

littlepeas Tue 30-Apr-13 21:09:56

I'm about to cool my hair off, after a longish spell of reddishness! I'm fairly sure I am cool but as I have both blue and green veins and hazel eyes (grey/green, rather than brown/green, although I do have a golden brown burst around my pupils just to confuse matters......), I get very confused! I never know what to do with my hair (hate natural colour - very dull), but went for a consultation with a new colour technician and the first thing she said was that my hair is too warm, so going to see what happens!

DigWeedSow Tue 30-Apr-13 21:37:55

Will be interested to hear the outcome littlepeas as I have the same colouring, your eye colour sounds just the same as mine!

VBisme Tue 30-Apr-13 21:42:17

I'm very cool so although hair is high and lowlighted all the shades are very cool.

Nagoo Tue 30-Apr-13 22:53:29

I can do black, dark brown and proper red, but as soon as I start getting a bit light ginger rather than a deep red I look all pink.

I am toning the hair as we speak [yawn].

Your eyes sound so pretty littlepeas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now