Talk

Advanced search

Please help, I'm useless

(8 Posts)
GeneHuntismyloveslave Mon 29-Apr-13 20:59:31

That's it really. Fed up with the way I look and need help, dp always says I'm terrible at choosing clothes. Basically 35 and 5ft 6 just over 11 stone so could do with losing a stone. Fat arms which I hate and a belly (right catch aren't I?). Lived whole life in jeans and top but need to change. My uniform of choice is blue jeans and v neck 3/4 sleeve black top

Hate shopping as I get depressed I never find anything. Basically need a smart casual not too expensive wardrobe that covers work and home and doesn't cost the earth. Ventured into the realms of dresses and boots in winter which was ok bit now spring is here and I have nothing and think I'm too dump looking for dresses now anyway.

Please help me!!

GeneHuntismyloveslave Mon 29-Apr-13 21:00:46

Dumpy looking rather not dump although that fits too really!

LetMeAtTheWine Tue 30-Apr-13 03:12:42

Have you thought about going to a department store and seeing a. Personal shopper? They can help find items that suit you in store but, as far as I know, they are free and with no obligation to buy? It might help identify the best shapes for you and give some inspiration.

Hedwig06 Tue 30-Apr-13 07:15:16

Have a look at Dessipi.com it helps you sort out your ideal pieces of clothing and you can pick colours you like to narrow it down.
It helped me a lot I also joined pinterest, which again helps with putting things together, either items you already own or items you are thinking of buying.

I don't like my arms either, they are quite big and I have a scar, but I usually wear a short cardy/shrug, and I'm finding now I feel more confident in my clothes I don't always care and go without the cardigan.

Good luck x

KristinaM Tue 30-Apr-13 07:23:38

You sound really down about yourself.5'6" and 11 stone sounds about a 14, which is about average in the uK, IIRC, it's hardly huge. Lots of women don't like their arms or their tummies, including those like me who are a size 8-10.

I would really encourage you not to listen to your partner,who sounds like a pain in the a**e, TBH. Have a look at some fashionblogsto get ideas of what is your own style. There are plenty out there by 39 something women who aren't size 6.

Are you on pinterets? It's great for getting ideas of how to wear things?

What about starting with some different styles and colours of tops in colurs that suit you?do you like scarves or jewellry?

malteserzz Tue 30-Apr-13 07:25:51

Can you go shopping with a friend who will tell you honestly what suits you ? I'm sure you don't look as bad as you think !

EwanHoozami Tue 30-Apr-13 07:26:24

I think you're being awfully hard on yourself and your DP sounds like a bit of an arse for that comment.

Personal shopper is a good idea as you'd try things you wouldn't normally do. There are also a few great blogs for ideas for putting wearable and stylish outfits together, let me go and have a hunt for the links... Pinterest is good too for ideas.

ifancyashandy Tue 30-Apr-13 07:27:57

Why not order a load if things online and get them delivered. You can then try in in the comfort if your own home, keeping those you like (and see how they work with other clothes in your wardrobe) and sending back those which offend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now