Talk

Advanced search

Interesting Capsule Wardrobe?

(5 Posts)
Restorer Mon 29-Apr-13 14:22:06

I'm 5'7'', size 10-12, so this really shouldn't be so hard smile

I've recently changed my life completely and moved from wearing suits most days, to more casual, although still smart, no jeans on work days.

I need a complete new wardrobe. I'd like to build it gradually using decent quality pieces (by which I mean £35 for a top, rather than £4.50 iyswim, not proper high end)

I had my colours done for a bit of fun and guidance, but I 'm not completely convinced it's going to change my life. I'm a sweet pea summer, which means no black. and I'm more than happy to give it a go, as I'd like to be a bit more colourful.

Anyway, I want a simple, easy to wear wardrobe, but I'd like it to be a bit more interesting that plain trousers and t-shirts. What would you suggest I need?

Hopefully Mon 29-Apr-13 14:29:51

Accessories! Scarves, necklaces, bracelets etc that are easy to wear (don't catch on clothes, stick out too much to put a jacket on etc) make everything look more interesting.

Stay away from too many plain t-shirts - I occasionally fall into the plain/striped t-shirt 'n' jeans trap and end up feeling v boring. Some plain t-shirts essential though grin

Some interesting trousers or skirts (to go with that small number of plain t-shirts).

Stick with your summer neutrals - french navy, dark blue grey, soft white, mushroomy browns etc - for the hard working basics (decent trousers, versatile tops etc) and add in the colours anywhere you want.

DewDr0p Mon 29-Apr-13 14:31:45

this blog has some really good advice, I think.

I also read somewhere that you should choose one (or two) neutral colours, an accent colour and start from there. Then you want 3 of everything: trousers, jackets, skirts, dresses, tops, knits, bags, scarves etc - 1 in your neutral, 1 in your accent, 1 in a pattern incorporating neutral and/or accent.

What colours are you meant to wear as a sweet pea summer? I think dresses can work really well for a more relaxed work wardrobe, ditto slim trousers and blazers. Have you got anything at the moment that you really like - that might be a good starting point?

QueenofWhatever Tue 30-Apr-13 10:52:53

Are you me? I've been doing Project 333 since December, which has helped massively. I've also had my colours done and am a vibrant autumn (*hopefully*, I will e-mail you back, too busy thinking about stuff!).

So I'm clearer now on colours and quite militant about fabrics and quality, so a maximum of 25% polyester or viscose. I'm also reawakening my love of nice fabrics - cashmere, velvet, soft cord.

H&M are quite a good starting point for basics and things to layer with, which gets you away from the jeans and t-shirt rut. Pinterest is also an ongoing addiction of mine.

Restorer Tue 30-Apr-13 18:53:14

Thanks Queen, that looks really interesting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now