Talk

Advanced search

Really want to help my friend- Rapid hair loss

(6 Posts)
amibi Mon 29-Apr-13 11:23:19

Hi everyone smile

Ok so a friend of mine over the past year or so has become increasingly thin on top.

The rest of her hair is still quite thick and glossy, but I've noticed in the past couple of months that you can see a fair bit of her scalp and in certain lights it's really noticable, to the point where you can see pretty much all of it.

I really feel for her. I know it's something which upsets her, but obviously she doesn't really like to talk about it. I think mainly because she assumes that there's nothing that can be done.

I've been researching the different types of hair loss, of which there are loads btw and I think hers is more than likely stress related. Possibly hereditary, but then I'm only going on her dad, who was completely bald in his 30's. Her mum still has a full head of hair I think, but I'm not sure how relevant gender is in this case.

I know she couldn't afford laser treatments etc, but I was looking at the regaine for women treatment. It sounds as though it can have some good results, but I am slightly sceptical.

Was just wondering if any of you or someone you know, tried any of these treatments with sucessful results, or unsucessful for that matter.

Any advice? Would really like to be able to help her if I can.

Thank you

NatashaBee Mon 29-Apr-13 11:41:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZaraW Mon 29-Apr-13 11:46:00

I went through chemo 4 years ago and some of my hair growth was quite thin. My hair is usually thick so it was quite noticeable. I used the Nioxin hair treatments and they worked well a lot of chemo patients who experience thinning hair after treatment use this and it always seems to get good reviews.

womenshair.about.com/od/problemhairadvice/fr/nioxin.htm

I know she's in a different situation to me but might be worth a try. It's a big knock to your confidence having this so wishing she finds a solution.

ZaraW Mon 29-Apr-13 11:49:55

I agree with NatashaBee a blood test would be the most sensible thing to have done first.

amibi Mon 29-Apr-13 12:02:25

Thank you. I was going to suggest that she went for a blood test, but then she's recently had loads of tests. She was recently diagosed with ME, which means that her body is in a constant state of stress and her adrenal glands are massively overused, so as a result her energy levels need topping up, so she's taking vitamins etc. This was why I assumed it was more stress related. That and the fact she's been unhappy for a long time now. The past few months though, she's started feeling much better. I suggested that she had some form of therapy, not for the hair loss, but for the consistant low mood she appeared to have. However, it turned out that her low mood was due to being an a very unhappy relationship and as soon as they split up, she was feeling so much better.

Anyway, I digress. Zara, thank you for the link and I wish you good health for the future.

ZaraW Mon 29-Apr-13 12:27:00

Thanks amibi I'm doing well. Hope your friend feels better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now