Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me, I need arch support!

(14 Posts)
Dumdeedumdeedum Sun 28-Apr-13 21:29:48

My feet hurt, I can't spend another summer in ballet flats and pumps, I need some support before I get horrific dropped arches or arthritis or something. But I don't want to look like a granny, I have wide feet, high instep and I'm a size 4.5-5 so awkward.

auntpetunia Mon 29-Apr-13 10:47:16

Have no advice, but was only Googling arch supports this morning, so will wait with bated breath for any ideas.

Hopefully Mon 29-Apr-13 10:54:03

Could you buy some supportive insoles to go in pumps/slipper flats etc? The loafers and slippers that are everywhere at the moment do seem slightly more supportive than ballet pumps and their utter flatness, but if you're doing much walking or need extra support, insoles are worthwhile.

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 29-Apr-13 11:04:45

Not everybody's cup of tea but Fly London wedges are crazy comfortable.

euwa Mon 29-Apr-13 11:16:42

Scholl shop nearby? They sell insoles for arch support you pop inside your shoes.

MrsRogerSterling Mon 29-Apr-13 11:45:46

My mum has insoles that she puts in all her shoes for arch support. She got them made for her after seeing the hospital consultant but you will be able to buy something similar.

Dumdeedumdeedum Mon 29-Apr-13 22:42:01

I'll have a look for some insoles then maybe. I do like the look of the fly wedges too, but they are a bit of an unknown quantity!

valiumredhead Mon 29-Apr-13 22:43:08


showtunesgirl Tue 30-Apr-13 00:13:42

Yup Birkenstocks but you need to figure out what size and width you are in which sub-brand of Birks and then you can order styles direct from Germany. The styles we have in this country are extremely limited.

I have everything from patent leather ones with cherries on them to diamante sparkly ones. Birks totally saved my sore flat feet.

showtunesgirl Tue 30-Apr-13 00:14:38

Oh and OP, if your feet are really hurting, you can get referred to podiatry at your local hospital to get measured for custom insoles. I have them too!

EarlyInTheMorning Tue 30-Apr-13 06:53:23

I find Fly London shoes to be of very good quality except for the cork wedges which split and crack within weeks. Get them from Javari so that you can have free delivery and free returns, so you can try them in the comfort of your own home.

Joycey29 Tue 30-Apr-13 06:59:33

Birkenstocks! Oh and I have orthotics (insoles from chiropodist) for trainers etc

piratecat Tue 30-Apr-13 07:18:12

ebay is your best bet for arch supports. i have a pair in all my shoes but find the ones as long as your foot not the half ones more comfy as they don't move about.
birkies relax for the summer always found in tkmaxx. and fit flops. i had bad plantar faciitis and this solved it.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 30-Apr-13 07:27:16

Ask the gp to refer you to podiatry, insoles can slightly narrow and shorten the foot because a flat foot basically spreads itself out.

Don't buy anything over the counter until you know what's causing the pain, you can permenantly damage the knee joint with incorrect insoles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: