Talk

Advanced search

Capsule "community work" wardrobe?

(7 Posts)
MrsJamin Sun 28-Apr-13 07:59:55

Just starting a new job where I am out and about in the community, getting people interested in joining something that might help them- may easily be people out of work, in poverty etc. I am struggling with what I should be wearing to give the right tone of being professional, but approachable, ie not businessy. Could do with some colour to give an air of friendliness. Don't have a huge budget nor would I want to because if I look expensively dressed it will not help being approachable. Any ideas what items would be a good starting point? I normally (as sahm) wear white stuff, jeans or leggings & denim skirt, connies, and I am mid-30s if that helps.

dashoflime Sun 28-Apr-13 08:08:38

I've just started work after maternity leave as a Welfare Rights Officer so similar sort of concerns.

I wear jersey dresses with leggings and cardigans. Or smart trousers with a jumper.

MrsJamin Sun 28-Apr-13 08:48:31

Where do you buy your jersey dresses from? I was thinking this would be a good solution too.

mirpuppet Sun 28-Apr-13 08:57:11

I also think dresses can work well -- they look professional but not as off putting as a suit.

That being said I sometimes wear a blazer on top which starts to get into suit territory.

I buy jersey dresses anywhere. I have 3 from sale from White Company about 35 quid each.

Honestly, I could have gotten away with just a black one -- I know someone who has a black jersey dress and wears it often and it always looks find and she looks approachable. (I took a course she taught and noticed she wore the same dress every week).

nilbyname Sun 28-Apr-13 09:02:04

I am in a similar role...

Wrap or shift dresses from HandM in plain colours with a tan leather belt, tights/leggings, ankle boot/ballet flats

Slim relaxed fit chinos with converse/ballet flats. L/sleeve top, slouchy blazer or knitted biker jacket.

I change it up with different scarves or jewellery. The jackets and shoes are the same, but I have dark grey chinos, and lilac ones for summer. I have 4 dresses that I alternate and loads of tops.

dashoflime Sun 28-Apr-13 09:24:24

I got this one from ASDA.

I wear it with boots, a chunky necklace and a brooch.

HilaryM Sun 28-Apr-13 09:27:53

Good thread. I think a lot of jobs need to project a bit of authority, but not too much - and practicality is important - eg getting in and out of the car lots.

I tend to go for a dress with a nice cardigan or jersey blazer, necklace, ballet flats or smarter flats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now