Talk

Advanced search

Summer Nails on the Cheap! What colours are you wearing this year?

(27 Posts)
mrscumberbatch Sat 27-Apr-13 18:05:43

So I am planning bright citrus shades this summer...

I don't believe in spending a lot of money on nail varnish, but tell me- what varnish is cheap, fab shades and fairly chip resistant?

I don't agree with gel nails etc so would like to do this myself!

What shades are you going for this summer?

NellVarnish Sun 28-Apr-13 14:57:48

Barry M Gelly's are fabulous! (I don't work for them btw but I do keep raving about them!). I'm a bit of a nail varnish slut so have loads of different brands but these are brilliant and really good value.

Think they are 3 for 2 in Superdrug atm and last all week. Very glossy and shiny. There's some links to swatches on my Pinterest board if you want a look.

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Sun 28-Apr-13 14:59:54

Off white on fingers and nude colour on toes. Usually I wear bright colours so these are a nice change.

OneLittleLady Sun 28-Apr-13 15:47:30

MUA in Superdrug has some great pastel colours and they chip no quicker than any expensive brand. Some of them are a pound and others are around the £3.50 mark. I have quite a few and am very pleased with them

MelodyBaker Sun 28-Apr-13 15:55:34

I'm in love with pastel colours. Sally hansen salon manicure is good -£6.99 in boots.
The Barry m gelly polishes are amazing. There darker colours are really nice.

SayMama Sun 28-Apr-13 16:01:12

I've got Barry M gelly nail varnish on right now - it's luurvley! Its a light blue, very summery < ignores rain outside >

SayMama Sun 28-Apr-13 16:02:37

It's the Blueberry one I've got on Nell's board

suebfg Sun 28-Apr-13 16:03:29

A nude shade that came with Marie Claire magazine a couple of weeks ago. Now that's cheap!

coffeeinbed Sun 28-Apr-13 16:04:21

This is my obsession this summer - L'Oreal Confetti Top Coat.
Perfect over pastels.
Looks like Illamasqua speckled ones.

ellesabe Sun 28-Apr-13 18:48:56

George at asda have loads of colours. They're £4ish each and not too chippy if you apply two coats with top-coat.

Tuppence2 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:23:30

Coral is my colour of choice this summer. I love it!
I found this bargain coral colour yesterday so thought I'd give it a try since it's so cheap. Have only just painted my nail so not sure on the chip resistant yet...
My nail varnishes are always put to the test, as I'm an administrator so spend 90% of my time at work typing away

GobblersKnob Sun 28-Apr-13 19:41:28

Nail Poilsh Direct has lots of good polishes, cheaper.

They sell on amazon too

I tend to buy OPI from there for about £6, and it stays on for 5-7 days

mrscumberbatch Sun 28-Apr-13 20:10:26

Definitely going to have a look at the Barry M gels... A friend of mine also recommended them but I brushed it off as assumed it was a bit of a cheap and nasty brand (!!?)

I will investigate! Love some of the OPI shades too... I'll looking at aqua and citrus shades!

Good finds S&Bers [salutes emoticon]

mrspaddy Sun 28-Apr-13 20:12:46

I treated myself to Maybelline Gel 7 day wear in Rose Poudre yesterday.. tired of paying out for Shellac and hate polishes that chip. Now it is early days but I am delighted with the finish of it. Very natural colour too.c

Nagoo Sun 28-Apr-13 20:16:14

L'oreal confetti top coat. Amazing smile

MUA nail varnishes have shit brushes.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Apr-13 20:38:13

I bought a few Barbara Daly (Tesco) nail polishes for DD (They had a 3 for 2 offer)

I bought one in "Cola Cube" a pinky/sand colour.
Nice but a very pesky short brush.

mrscumberbatch Sun 28-Apr-13 20:51:48

I like the glittery ones like that Nagoo, but i'm not 100% convinced. Think that i'd spend all day picking off the bits!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Apr-13 20:55:43

I bought an OPI glittery one (when they had The Muppets theme a couple of years back).
I put 3-4 layers on for New Years Eve.
Really nice.
Spent most of Jan 2nd chipping the blardy stuff off to go back to work hmm

OneLittleLady Sun 28-Apr-13 20:58:07

True Nagoo about the MUA brushes. I have solved this by using a small paintbrush with a chopped off handle with the polishes. Works for me but not everyone wants to go to that much trouble

amessagetoyouYoni Sun 28-Apr-13 21:10:31

I'm going for pretty, slightly quirky pastels this year. So fricking sick of coral.

Pale tangerine, primrose yellow, light blue, very light pink etc.

Believe it or not, I bought a few from Boots Natural Collection the other day grin

blondieminx Sun 28-Apr-13 23:16:22

I've brought the Barry M Blueberry one too. I'm over the coral as well...

Nagoo Sun 28-Apr-13 23:28:08

I've bought a couple of green/tea rimmel pastels so far. I imagine that's 'spring' and I don't know what summer will be. Probably lilac.

Nagoo Sun 28-Apr-13 23:29:15

the confetti one is nice and flat. It was a bit of a gip to get off but I didn't sit 'feeling it' all night. Lasted 3 days and I am a picker.

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Mon 29-Apr-13 13:30:39

Is it just the ones I buy or are the pale/pastel colours really hard to apply? They seem to need 3 coats that then peel off as they're too thick. Yellow is a particular problem.

Tortington Mon 29-Apr-13 13:33:47

I know its a pastel etc. but at 40 I think retro 80's looks sad - because I really was there first time.

just come back from nail salon in preparation for my hols, I am sporting midasesq matt gold nails ( no gliter), as I got some awesome free gold nailpolish with cosmo a couple of weeks ago and I can now touch them up whilst abroad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now