Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk about jeans shapes?

(13 Posts)
DewDr0p Sat 27-Apr-13 16:05:34

Nearly everyone on here seems to wear skinny jeans exclusively.

I'm reasonably slim but have shortish legs and am not very slender of thigh, I also have big boobs. I can make skinnies work with heels or the right pair of boots but they really aren't all that flattering with my Converse or flat sandals/flipflops. And I do a lot of running around for which my converse are perfect.

I like flares but again they look better with a heel really. I find myself being drawn towards (whispers) a slim bootcut like the eva from oasis I just feel like the shape is more flattering to my thighs and balances out my top half too.

Can I pull this off? What are your favourite jeans shapes?

AnythingNotEverything Sat 27-Apr-13 16:10:07

They look lovely! Anyone can carry off a boot cut. If you can, a good compromise is a straight cut. They look like a skinny, but don't taper as sharply so balance you out a bit more.

Best if luck - jeans shopping can be painful!

FrugalFashionista Sat 27-Apr-13 16:32:15

There are some body shapes for whom skinnies are genuinely the best option, I'm just not one of them. I'm in the process of phasing skinnies out - they are not my most flattering shape (their tapered shape and focus on ankles makes my hips look ginormous, and I'm Sz 10/12!!!). Straight leg jeans for some reason don't do this and are also much more easy to combine with shoes. I have also noticed that skinnies can make average sized feet look boat-like in flats - especially cropped leg skinnies combined with this season's pointy flats or brogues.

Bootcuts are really easy to wear, super leg-lengthening and thigh-slimming, and they go with lots of footwear (pointy toes are fantastic with them). Slim bootcuts are the best of both worlds. Just make sure they are long enough, no shorter than one inch from the ground at back. The flappy too-short look gave them the bad rap...

DewDr0p Sat 27-Apr-13 16:39:34

Thank you both. anything I meant carry them off as in not look too middle aged even though I am 40 so actually I am middle aged in them or like I've not noticed the last 10 years of fashion lol.

Limoncellolovely Sat 27-Apr-13 16:43:30

I like pretty much all jeans shapes I wear skinnys with flats and heels, baby boot cuts with heels, flares with wedges, boyfriend with flats or heels, biker style distressed ones, cropped and ankle grazers. Not really sure what is in or out and don't really worry about it but must admit getting a bit fed up of seeing skinnys All. The. Time. Which has probably made me wear other styles. What will never be in will be ill fitting unflattering jeans whatever their shape whether they be designer or high street.

melliebobs Sat 27-Apr-13 16:44:39

I'm short. I hate skinnies due to my huge arse. I prefer boyfriend cut smile

Limoncellolovely Sat 27-Apr-13 16:46:14

Dew they look lovely by the way I really rate oasis jeans good quality just make sure they fit !!!!

Bunbaker Sat 27-Apr-13 18:11:27

Skinnies are deeply unflattering on me. Today I wore a pair of bootcuts that I haven't worn for ages. I have put on half a stone and my straight jeans are a little tight. I met someone I haven't seen for months and the first thing she asked me was had I lost some weight!

IMO clothes that suit your shape are far more flattering than the latest "in" thing that screams fashion victim.

happyyonisleepyyoni Sat 27-Apr-13 18:27:53

Skinny jeans looks awful on me, parsnip thighs, although I have khaki m and s jeggings which are ok.
Slim or straight cut are fine. I love my next lift slim and shape jeans which are slim leg and fairly high waisted so don't fall down. There is a thread about them, they are really good.

Bunbaker Sat 27-Apr-13 18:46:16

Sounds good. Must go into Next net time I am in town.

TallulahBetty Sat 27-Apr-13 21:54:58

I wear skinny jeans and bootcut. I dress for my shape, not what is fashionable!

TallulahBetty Sat 27-Apr-13 21:55:25

Not just*

scarlet76 Sun 28-Apr-13 07:42:10

I'm very slim but short. I wear different jeans and think they all look ok. I think it's to do with the foot wear you choose.
With skinnys I always wear heeled ankle boots, heeled shoes or wedges. I think the extra height makes them more flattering.
With straight legs, I wear pumps and flats as the cut is naturally more forgiving.
With bootcuts, I wear chunky heeled ankle boots and wedges and I do think this creates the most flattering silhouette of all for most.

I have just bought some jeans from Next called relaxed skinny and I have to say they are very flattering. Rolled to the ankle, I think I will give these a go with flat sandals for the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now